Free Smoke alarms from Airbnb to the first 25,000 hosts!

NEW HOME SAFETY INITIATIVES

At Airbnb, safety is our top priority. We’re always working to provide tools that you can use to help provide safer, more comfortable experiences for your guests. Today, we’re excited to tell you about two programs designed to help the Airbnb community.

Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors
As experts will tell you, installing smoke and carbon monoxide detectors is among the most important things you can do to make your home safer. We’ve long encouraged hosts to install these devices, and to add it in the amenities section of your listing page when you have a working detector installed.

We want to make it easier for you to use these tools in your space. Starting today, Airbnb hosts around the world will be able to quickly and easily purchase a combination smoke and carbon monoxide detector through our website. Prices will vary depending on where your listing is located, but the average cost is roughly $40. This will be deducted from payouts for future reservations, and the first 25,000 eligible hosts who request a detector will get one for free (terms, conditions, and exclusions apply–click here for more information.) If you don’t have a detector installed, you can order one today.

Safety Cards for Listings
Giving your guests some basic safety information can help everyone have a safer trip.

All hosts will now find the option to fill out a safety card in the Home Safety tab of the Manage Listing section of their dashboard. This card includes important information that hosts can provide guests, like emergency phone numbers, locations of fire extinguishers and fire alarms, and emergency exit routes. The card looks like this:

After you fill out the card online, guests will be able to see it after they book a reservation at your listing. You’ll also be able to easily print the card and display it in your listing, and guests can also print a copy before and during their trip. For now, this will just be available from your computer, but we’re working hard to make this feature available on mobile devices in the future.

These programs will supplement existing features that provide hosts with peace of mind, like our $1 Million Host Guarantee against property damage. We’ve also developed the $1 Million Host Protection Insurance liability program in the U.S., and we’re working hard to expand it internationally. And we’ll keep building new tools and programs that will help you continue to provide safer, more comfortable experiences to guests worldwide.

https://www.airbnb.com/home-safety

This is very nice, but I’d like to make a few suggestions.

Emergency phone numbers aren’t very helpful if the guest is unsure of where they are. It is likely that in an emergency they may not be able to locate the exact address with all pertinent details. I think your safety card should include that. “Your Address Is…”

Also, it might be smart to have the host’s (or other) cell phones handy in the even that the crisis doesn’t warrant a 911 call but the host should be contacted immediately. Perhaps you could add a field to include the host’s contact information.

Thirdly, it would be nice if it didn’t include so much red ink. Expensive.

Thanks! I was on this forum for this purpose - to see what I should be including in my safety card.