Forced into a late check-in

One of my rentals is in our home- with share front door, kitchen, living room, and dining area. While we sleep in our own “wing” (the house is shaped like an L so we have one side of the L and they have the other) the guests have a two bedroom suite with private bath. All very private from our space. So we do check-in 2-5pm because it is the least inconvenient for us. I’ve accepted a 7pm, willingly but otherwise have people check in a little early rather than super duper late.

I had a girl book for herself, mother, and sister. My usual email went out telling her directions and reminding that check in is between 2-5pm, and let us know when they would arrive. She said they should arrive around 3pm. All good. right?
1 week before their reservation she said that her sister, whom lives on a neighboring island, was having difficulty getting a flight to our airport, so they would be switching their reservation around to 2 days later than booked. No biggie- same price and the space was open. I made the change and then confirmed that our check in time was 2-5pm and asked for what their arrival time would be.

2 days prior to their reservation I asked again for their arrival time.

The morning of their check-in I receive this:
" Hi! We are doing a lava hike tour this afternoon that finishes at 830pm. We were planning on getting dinner after so would be closer to 1030 however we can come to yours first and check in around 9 then go to dinner after, let be know what works best, sorry it will be late "

Como what? I’m 45 minutes to the nearest lava viewing parking area. AND everything closes at 9pm on a Sunday night here if they are even open on a Sunday.

I replied that I couldn’t accommodate a check in that late and to please come to my house prior. Radio Silence. I texted her. Radio Silence.

1 hour later she messaged through the exchange that she is starting her tour at 3:30pm and will be checking in at 9pm when they are done their hike. Well, she’ll probably come to the house around 10pm and then she’ll be pissed when I tell her she isn’t going to be able to find any food…

What do you do when you are backed into a corner and are FORCED to cave to a late check in?? Just put it in the review later?

Is there an actual physical / material impediment to checking them in that late, apart from the obvious inconvenience and being ‘backed into a corner’?

1 Like

I go to sleep at 9pm. I’ve been doing farm chores since 6:30am and I get freaking tired.

7 Likes

Fair enough. Could you institute a numeric keypad-based self check-in?
Put the keys in it, they get to your place, open it using the given code, take out the keys and get in?

1 Like

I’m sure there are other members of this forum that will give better advice.
I’ve had many issues with guests/arrival/check in times.

At this point, I’ve made it a house rule. Check in is between x-x unless we come to another agreement documented via Airbnb email.

So, if this were me, with these few years of hosting under my belt, I would probably say, "House rules state (copy and paste the house rule). If you are unable to check in within that time frame, your room is forfeited for the night. You are welcome to check in the next day per the house rules.
I have at least a few similar scenarios every summer.

One summer, I spent my whole July 4th waiting on a guest, who sent me intermittent messages throughout the whole day but yet never responded to my comments…only to have them run out of gas 1 hour from my home at 10:30 pm or so, basically voiding the reservation. I don’t remember the exact details now. The point is that I was unable to spend the day doing what I wanted to do.

6 Likes

I know this sounds like a logical solution, (the lock box) but at the very least, those keypads are not pleasing to the eye.
Plus, in a shared home situation, the whole ‘meet, greet, show around’ is paramount to everyone’s comfort level.

4 Likes

Agree. But in exceptional situations like this one, it can come in very handy.

I sometimes get guests from Spain arrive at 2am, thanks to a particularly unearthly Ryanair flight. I can afford to give them a check-in because of this. In most cases, I’m there to meet and greet as you say.

2 Likes

Our business would be absolutely great, if it weren’t for all the unruly guests :roll_eyes: who can’t be disciplined into the strict time frame :weary: of our own lives.

If you need the money suck it up, take a beauty nap from 19h00 to 21h00 and get up to let them in. If you don’t need the money and you can’t stand the thought of people actually enjoying their vacation just cancel them.

1 Like

I agree. The original poster is well within her rights to tell the guest that she is sticking to her check in window and that if the guest can’t check in during the check in window they will need to find other accommodations for the night.

7 Likes

Actually, I was just thinking…if it’s a battery operated lock box requiring a code to open which then reveals the keys (dramatic, I know), that would not necessarily need to be on the door at all times! It could just be placed on the door knob at times when needed.
However, I’m still not going to do that. For the type of shared home hosting my listing offers…everyone needs to meet, greet, chat, be provided a tour in order to feel the most comfortable.

3 Likes

So snarky. I know that the issue of check in times is a bee in your bonnet, but some hosts are unable to meet the guest whenever the guest desires. If the guests’ “actually enjoying their vacation” is predicated on not having a set check in time they need to book a listing that features self check in. I really dislike hovering by the front door for hours when guests won’t tell me what time they will arrive.

5 Likes

Actually, I was just thinking…if it’s a battery operated lock box requiring a code to open which then reveals the keys (dramatic, I know), that would not necessarily need to be on the door at all times! It could just be placed on the door knob at times when needed.

My suggestion is of using an arrangement where it is outside the house (obviously) but not necessarily on the door.
The optionality you talk about can still be achieved. This is the one I am referring to:

And an Amazon link for it.

1 Like

The guests the OP is talking about did say what time they will arrive, the OP lives on site and the guest isn’t arriving at 4AM.

With all respect to the limits set by the host, I only see two possibilities: sucking it up and accommodating OR canceling them. Do you see other options?

1 Like

I agree. The original poster is well within her rights to tell the guest that she is sticking to her check in window and that if the guest can’t check in during the check in window they will need to find other accommodations for the night.

In their rights to deny it true, but maybe we first try and find a solution that might work for both parties and get the job done first?

2 Likes

I think that telling the guests that they must arrive during the check in window or find other accommodations for the first night is the best choice for the original poster. As the original poster goes to sleep at 9:00 P.M.; a 10:00 P.M. check in is just as problematic as a 4:00 A.M. check in which I’ve said. What does the host living on site have to do with anything? My point in responding to you is that you don’t need to try to make the original poster feel guilty for having a check in window.

8 Likes

Agree, the host certainly owes no apology. I second that.

6 Likes

That surely sounds like a wonderful solution for all parties, one that will surely be appreciated in the review afterwards. :+1::+1::+1:

Nothing of course ! What is the difference between getting in your car and drive to the other side of the city to let someone in, or just get out of bed and open the door.

Oh EllenN :pray: please rewire… No, the host does not have to feel guilty.

1 Like

@GutHend
Some of us make it very clear in our listings that due to other commitments (FT job with strange hours for example) that we can only accept guests who can arrive within certain check in times. Its a win-win for everyone when the price/location/value is just right for the guest AND the host. It harkens back to the idea of the sharing economy where an exceptional service is able to provided to the mutual convenience of the guest AND host.

6 Likes

If I could like this 1000x, I would.

4 Likes

Agreed with @EllenN and others. Your check in time is what it is for a reason (your own reasons, you don’t need to justify that to anyone).

Tell her once more you won’t be able to accommodate a late check-in, then leave it. If she comes knocking on your door any later don’t answer! She agreed to your rules when booking, she should never have booked her tour at that time

6 Likes