Forced Cancellation by Airbnb

I think the CS person understood…they read through the all the messages because they were all on the platform. I told the CS person I felt like it was “bait and switch” because the pictures of the place I thought I was staying at were significantly nicer than the place I ended up.

I think maybe CS are told/trained to try to work things out before canceling. I never thought to check back and see if the listing had been removed. I’m not sure if it’s still there that I could even locate it because there are so many listings in Columbus. It’s the 15th largest city in the US, I think.

Not that something like this couldn’t happen to me but that’s why I only book places with lots of reviews, superhosts if at all possible and one host, one home. I’ve read reviews of places where they guest said “I was put into a different place than the one I booked” and that’s an absolute no for me. I can’t click away from that “host” fast enough.

3 Likes

Absolutely agree. This happened to a friend of mine recently with a Trip Advisor booking in Paris. She booked a place listed as 3 bath / 2 bedrooms and was shown a studio with one bathroom. She refused to stay and threatened to call the Paris police. Last I heard she was still fighting for her refund.

I had it happened too to me couple times. The host just gave you a different accommoDation . The problem was that she didn’t explain properly and the place was dirty. Once I was given this way such an.upgrade that I only welcomed it. Another time it was like you described

It wasnt just the change of address, or that place being dirty…the place itself was a real downgrade from the pictures shown in the listing that I thought I was booking. It was really bare bones accommodations with a very basic bathroom. The listing I booked was much more nicely furnished and the bathroom was more upscale.

1 Like

Yes I understood. It was the same with me. The appartment I booked was quite expensive for the area. I did it because I had a long next day on a train and wanted nice rest.
All reviews said how nice was appartment and how quiete.
The host put me in different much much smaller place and not even close as nice as the appartment I booked and with bar and construction right under window. I slept 2 hours that night.

I demanded half price refund and got it back right away.

In Bari, I booked a single room with private bath but host said she has family in town and she was hosting them in her own house. She gave me a huge separate appartment with 3 bedrooms just for myself. I stayed there for 5 days and it was the best stay ever .