Forced Cancellation by Airbnb

if I take airbnb to arbitration, will airbnb cancel my listing?

http://tucson.com/business/local/ducey-airbnb-law-strikes-a-blow-for-free-markets-innovation/article_35de7625-8867-59db-8d7a-fd011dcec793.htmlhttp://tucson.com/business/local/ducey-airbnb-law-strikes-a-blow-for-free-markets-innovation/article_35de7625-8867-59db-8d7a-fd011dcec793.html

City regulations are not HOA regulations, whatā€™s your point? You need to read what you signed when you purchased. If youā€™re worried and hiding your address thereā€™s a reason.

1 Like

What do you think? I also think youā€™ll lose as you violated the TOS.

Did everyone missed the fact that the guest KNEW that adress was different BEFORE she checked in???
What a scammer! She knew that address is different, came anyway, stayed there 2 days and then cancelled, and got her money back. Unbielevable! DId you tell her that address will be different when she inquired, or after the fact when she already booked?

4 Likes

Yana, Iā€™m wondering how you can tell the guest a different address before they book. Guests only see the listed address after they book. I agree with you itā€™s not clear, but I think thereā€™s more to this story.

No, I commented in the thread that I wouldnā€™t ā€œsteal a couple of daysā€ and then report him. Although the OP says it was 2 days who knows what the truth is. Maybe it just took ABB 2 days to respond to Maureenā€™s complaint. LOL

You can at least mention the fact that adress will be different from what a guest will see after she books. ANd if she has a problem with it then she should not book

1 Like

o, i missed it. Now i am thinking, did guest even checked in or not? May be i missed it also. If she did not check in at all then its a totally different story

We donā€™t know from David exactly what he did in this case so itā€™s hard to be helpful in a meaningful way.

I think so too, my first reaction was that she stayed and then reported him, but now i am thinking if she ever stayed there and it just took Air 2 days to cancel.

Anyway, besides this whole story, to let guests in the house that is regulated by HOA and if this HOA does not permit short terms guests is really not the way to run this business. I would not stay in such accomodation

2 Likes

Yes, I would not want to stay in an illegal Airbnb either. I doubt very many HOAā€™s allow less than 30 day rentals. Mine in CA changed their rules 3 years into Airbnb to specifically prohibit stays less than 30 days and that the host could not be on the premises and it had to be a whole house. It was in the cc&rs but the wording was a bit vague so they tightened it up. This is why we bought a single family home and are completely legal.

2 Likes

Wow, thank you for explaining so clearly to another Brit who was never sure what a condo was ā€¦

1 Like

When first signed up with airbnb I gave them the correct address. Then I used the sliding map feature, to change the location, to protect my privacy. BUT THEN airbnbā€™s software took the address that came up when I slide the map, and made it the permanent and unchangeable address.

Hello David: you can contact Airbnb and request for the address to get changed.I had to do that on one of my listings since for the heck of it it would never get the location right. It wasnā€™t easy to get it done, but it in the end it did get updated.
That said with being Costa Rica, I am also in a country where addresses are a bit, to say the least funky. Some of my listings donā€™t even have an address that can be considered a right address. I do give an accurate GPS and google map.

@AlexSJ Iā€™m going to Costa Rica next July. Would you be willing to PM your listing?

A pleasure.
Here is one in San Jose, in my apartment: www.airbnb.com/rooms/1472259
And by they way, I could really use some help on getting more clicks and more saves on the wishlist on it and. It has been the slowest ever this month ā€¦

And for something unique: www.airbnb.com/rooms/2315701 and www.airbnb.com/rooms/7385760

Welcome Letter in advance of arrival with correct address stated including the house rules which guests have to agree to in order to book , please confirm your understanding of the 11573 Rum Street address vs.11689 acceptance along with HOUSE RULES in order to check in to LISTING NAME IN CAPS. Adapt and thrive brotherā€¦ whatever it takesā€¦the general public is like Russian Roulette and closing the margin for error survival as is covering yourself with documentation every step of the wayā€¦it really doesnā€™t matter what you doā€¦ I have a listing with the actual t I t l e self explanatory ā€¦ 3 BDRM JACUZZI 1 BLOCK OFF WATERFRONT!ā€¦ they receive directions in advanceā€¦ walk here from the pierā€¦ check inā€¦ 2 days laterā€¦ complain it isnā€™t oceanfrontā€¦and get a refundā€¦you would think driving directions to go in from the waterfront 1 block sent in advance would clue them inā€¦ or possibly it would dawn on them as they walked here and checked inā€¦ certainly after 2 days they were aware they werenā€™t on the waterā€¦ wuchagonnado?

I recently encountered this situation in reserveā€¦as the guest and not the host. I booked a same day stay in the hostā€™s home (separate quarters downstairs, host upstairs). The listing had self check-in and the address was visible on the listing once I booked.

I messaged the hosts I might be late checking in (late being 9 pm) and asked if that was a problem and they assured me it wasnā€™t a problem. This is the message they sent.

I have multiple Airbnb so I have a single place available for you . Iā€™ll send address later today so arrive as late as you need no worries after 9 is fine

The message didnā€™t totally make sense to meā€¦the ā€œI have multiple Airbnb so I have a single place available for youā€ was confusing.

I shrugged it off, figuring the hostess maybe was an ā€œEnglish as a second languageā€ speaker. I finished up my business early, after all, and messaged the host to let them know I was on my way. I had the address from the listing already programmed into my GPS. the. I get this message:

ā€œKeys under mat. Hereā€™s the addy
3663 Cyrpress Club Way
Columbus Ohio 43219

Note : The complex is NOT apartment of Airbnb so all questions please direct to me your host -:slight_smile:

The club house is NOT an amenity with your stay (-( sorry ā€¦ā€

At this point Iā€™m thinking WTF??? I thought I was booking a room in the hostā€™s home. But I was tired, very tired, and thought maybe I had screwed something up, so I drove to the address. I found the key where they said it would be.

It was definitely not the listing I booked. It was a bare bones, dirty, 2 bedroom townhouse that looked as if someone might actually already be occupying it. I felt really uncomfortable and not safe, so I went back out to my car and locked myself in and promptly called AirBnB.

I told them my complaints and they cancelled the stay and refunded but not until after trying to persuade me to let the host come over and clean. It was almost 9 pm by the time the issue was resolved and I decided to just drive home (2 hour drive) rather than book a motel .

The whole situation felt very unsafe to me.

1 Like

@Keugenia
Thatā€™s just beyond unacceptable. Is the listing still up? If so, click on the ā€œreport this listingā€ option and tell Airbnb you were directed to another address. They should be removed from the platform. I donā€™t think the CS person you spoke to understood what the real problem was.

3 Likes