For those that don't enjoy Superhost status

No, This is just not the reality… They do, however, expect exactly what you have sold them in your listing narrative. There are plenty of Superhosts with very modest listings.

2 Likes

Virtually everyone reviews us and virtually everyone gives us 5 stars. 7 consecutive quarters as SH. We get many first-timers, too. Maybe it has to do with the geographic area?

For me, being a Superhost has been beneficial. I’ve had many guests who tell me that they only book with Superhosts.

However, if you don’t want to be a Superhost, there’s an easier method than the one you propose. All you have to do is cancel on a booking. You will have to pay a fine, but you’ll be banned from being a Superhost for a year.

I doubt those threads as much as I doubt that the sky is falling. Too many other possible reasons why enquires dry up “almost overnight” – weather, economics, seasonal variations not taken into account, etc.

1 Like

I’ve never had anyone mention my SH status or that it plays into their search or planning, and I’ve never had anyone mention or ask about my business-ready status either.

…but I’ve got the smelling salts ready in case anyone ever does.

1 Like

@Barns hasn’t even got it yet @KKC :slight_smile:

Although the majority of my guests don’t notice I have it, I’m pleased that guests enjoy staying with me and give me ratings which has given me Superhost status. Like you I normally look for Superhosts when I book although I am just as happy with a long established host with mainly five star ratings. (I don’t care about the location one though as I know how arbitrary it is).

I’ve only seen one that says this and it was from a new host - where the drop was almost certainly to do with the removal of the boost that new hosts get rather than granting of a superhost status.

1 Like

I think that would be great. I’m interested to compare notes.

Modest listing meaning modest place or modest price? I continue to be astounded by some of the places that can be had around the country for less than $50 a night. Like this one:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/11379240

As I’ve said 1000x, if you have a whole house vacation rental that’s very different from a room down the hall.

I’ve been a superhost for the past 2.5 years. I can’t say I’ve been trying. It’s just happened, because we consistently get rated five stars.

Honestly i don’t think it makes any difference to guests. It’s never come up, so I don’t they they have any clue what it is. Nor do they care. My guests are generally looking for a nice room in a kick-ass location for a reasonable price. I haven’t seen my placement differ at all from similar listings for non-super-hosts, so I doubt it figures in.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s the case. People make up all kind of stories .
My bookings went rapidly up. Actually some supeehosts booked me based on a reasons that I am superhost.

Not sure how long it will last though as I just got few bad reviews surprisingly one after another and went to 79%. And all is rented so far longer term so I do t expect any new guests till January

1 Like

Even if a former SH started over with a new account, they’ll just become a Superhost again in 4 months…

1 Like

For those who don’t want to cancel there’s always these:

Just put a few out when the ratings start to approach the benchmarks.

2 Likes

I actually reported her ‘sofa’ listing. That’s the kind of crap that gives Airbnb a false name, it’s a sofa for $47 a night (wtf), she charges a $20 cleaning fee and does not disclose she’s renting all these other rooms in the house. It’s seems really exploitive to me.

Is there a way to report a listing other than calling Airbnb and waiting on hold? I found a local host who has many listings. He charges a cleaning fee for service dogs which is illegal not to mention immoral. I would like to report him.

I’m humming The A-Team theme as I read these

2 Likes

See my screen shots, I’m using the app but I imagine it’s much the same on the internet, first one is ‘report’ and then it takes you to the next screen

1 Like

That listing was already unavailable yesterday when I tried to look at it. I haven’t found the “report listing” function to be terribly effective but I’d love to think that is changing.

2 Likes

Personally, I would never report anyone unless I thought their listing was actually dangerous or unsafe. There have been a few hosts in my city that I’ve kept an eye on because they were so bad and/or just greedy money-makers buying up properties and pimping them out hostel-style but I would never think of reporting them - let them die by their own sword. And they did indeed do just that in the end. They got de-listed. I think Airbnb is a lot more pro-active these days in getting rid of such listings.

3 Likes

I have reported several near me that are indeed dangerous AND unsafe. And they break our fire codes, which is, well, the same thing. Around here, the concern is fire. These buildings are close together and when one goes, generally they take about five others at the same time. And the fire department only expects to find x number of people per bedroom.