Flooded and been snoozed on Air for a while, did I miss anything huge? Also, insurance advice inside

We had a burst pipe in our personal unit the first week of January which leaked down to the airbnb unit and pretty much destroyed the kitchen, bathroom, and hallway between the two. Moisture damage was remediated by ServPro and all walls, ceilings, floors, and fixtures in those rooms needed to be replaced. It’s still not done and won’t be until first week of April (missing Easter bookings :frowning: ).

That said, I’ll say that CBIZ’s insurance has so far been great with everything. The adjuster was a bit slow, but after rigorous follow-up, they have already paid for everything my contractor estimated, plus damaged/destroyed goods and supplies in all affected areas. I will report back once we are rental-ready with how the loss of income portion pans out.

So I feel a little out of the loop on all the horrible things Airbnb has likely been foisting on hosts. Dealing with this entire demolition/renovation has my energy in a different place at the moment. I know I’m going to have to get back in the game in a couple of weeks. Anything really crucial I need to know?

Yours,
Ms. Wondering if you still maintain super host with zero bookings in the previous quarter, Natalie.

1 Like

Qualifying for superhost is getting harder. Cancellation policies are getting more lenient with everyone forced to allow 48 hours after booking cancellation (unless it’s less than 14 days before the reservation starts. AirbnbPlus has been introduced.

Actually you’ve missed one of the biggest periods of change for Airbnb in the last few years.

1 Like

I know and I am honestly scared because it seems like eons since I had guests. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

I don’t think there’s anything to be scared of.

In my experience, it will take some time to get back to your previous level of bookings. While you were snoozed new listings in your city have come online and gotten reviews, so there’s more competition. I’ve found that the busier you are, the busier you will be and the reverse is true. Every listing is different of course. If you don’t have instant book and flexible cancellation it may take longer to get going again. If you have a minimum stay you might consider shortening it.

1 Like

You only need 10 stays a year to maintain Superhost so if you were one before, you shouldn’t lose it. It is getting harder to keep as far as ratings go. Starting in April '18 you need to average 4.8 stars instead of the 80% previously. Virtually all reviews need to be 5 stars.

3 Likes

Regulations are another thing that’s been up and coming for all hosts, especially if you are in a metropolitan zone.

Have a look at your local legislative website to see what legislation might be working its way through.

2 Likes

Thanks, everybody. Looks like I don’t really have anything to worry about, other than how to gird my loins to get back into this again! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: