First responder and active military

I’m in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. Our discount is usually 20% across the board for all the things. People only get it if they read the listing (one way to find out who the readers are). Hotels all offer different things at different seasons to be competitive, so it shouldn’t seem odd to anybody that one host offers something that another doesn’t. I was advised to offer certain things, early on, to increase my chances of getting a few good reviews up front. I was told that I could then decide if I wanted to continue those practices. I was very nervous, in the beginning, thinking no one would even book my place. Fortunately, that turned out to be untrue. I am hoping to make my place handicap accessible (as much as possible) as well, so after that expense we’ll see what I can afford to keep and what I can afford to charge.

3 Likes

I’m glad you’ve found your niche.

2 Likes

I offer a cost only discount to medical residents, and have never regretted it.

2 Likes

Blessings! :slight_smile: A fair number of my guests and team have or have had PTSD. I myself am eternally grateful for an advanced program patterned on the U S military PTSD program, administered in Q418. It made a huge difference in my life to the degree that I was a guest speaker for the incoming group. God bless you.

2 Likes

I am a veteran and a first responder. I’d be very great full for a discount like that. That said, why should I get it? I do a job like everyone else and I get payed for doing that job, like everyone else … so even though I’d appreciate it (who does not like a discount) I don’t offer it myself.

3 Likes

I agree. Who am I to decide who is worthy of a discount and who isn’t? Certainly first responders and active military deserve our admiration and gratitude. So do people in lots of other professions too.

I’ve even had people asking for a ‘student discount’. Why students think they are special, I have no idea. Our rental is, or should be, beyond their means anyway. When I was a student I (to use one of my old mum’s old sayings) cut my coat to suit my cloth (or something like that).

If you can’t afford it, move on and find something to suit your budget - just as most of us do.

2 Likes

This. 100%.

The only “discount” we offer is to direct bookers who pay cash :wink: where we wipe the service charge and cleaning fee. Saves me getting moaned at because I couldn’t be bothered walking to our bank to use the autobanco.

Lovely people, one and all.

JF

4 Likes

We provide discounts to those who request them (and have a good story) - military, teachers, 1st responders, bourbon bottlers, grape pickers/wine bottlers. Usually 10-15%. We ask t hem to book first, then send a special offer with the discount.

3 Likes

Does that work well? Do you make it contingent upon anything?

1 Like

My thought:”Why?”

1 Like

I don’t offer discounts for any particular groups, but do allocate up to four nights a month, where I offer young people who have experienced homelessness including refugees a safe home, meal and shower for the night.

In this way I am directly helping those who literally have nothing and who would otherwise end up on the streets.

I do this through an amazing charity who vet both the young people and the hosts who offer space.

Perhaps you might have a similar scheme where you are located that you could consider being a part of?

1 Like

It has worked and led to happy guests. Of course, most of our guests are happy (99%), but I have personal reasons as well. My son is in the Air Force, my daughter is a teacher. I have found that our military in particular are used to asking for discounts, because a lot of businesses (from restaurants to distilleries to lodging) tend to offer them, and we are just north of San Antonio, where there are a lot of current and retired military.
Our rates are really flexible, we don’t incur a lot of costs from people staying (since we handle everything, from cleaning to stocking to repairs), and our goal is to give folks a great stay. If receiving a discount improves their experience, it is fine by us.

1 Like