First non-reader complaining and wanting refund

Or if it were that important to the guest, he would have read the amenities. Or maybe he could have asked to be sure?
We have good photo’s of the room, and there clearly is NO heating showing.
We do NOT show any photo’s of the kitchen, although our living room is open plan, we avoided having the kitchen in the picture.

If you read the topic(s) about the keys again, you would notice that it’s a complicated matter. You would also read in those topics that people, who have actually traveled in our part of the world, know that it is not uncommon that a guest has to ring a bell to get in.

Please get out of your black and white mode, the world is VERY GREY.

3 Likes

Not offering the use of the host’s kitchen and not offering heating in a climate and culture where this is not necessary are NOT questionable items.

2 Likes

Most of the time I find your posts really funny @GutHend - but OMG no wonder hosts get a bad rep on Airbnb when they lie to guests over issues like this.

Yes your guest was a bit of a tosser, but that doesn’t mean that you lie to him and tell him he’ll get a refund if he gives you a good review.

Why would you risk getting turfed off Airbnb for something like this? Particular when you have a flexible cancellation policy and he can get a refund anyway?

2 Likes

Would anyone here want a guest who wants to leave because of things that are very clear in the listing? I think not.

We actually didn’t literally say he had to leave a good review, we just said that we didn’t want our business harmed for something that is clear in the listing. And that we would refund after getting his review. Which are technically different things than asking for a good review.

Also, until now no harm has been done yet. We still need to leave the review and decide on total refund.

Both denying him his 100% refund as leaving him the review he deserved can lead to him getting a bad impression of AirBnB hosts. So what would you have done? You already made it clear you wouldn’t have lied, but would you also have refunded and left him a good review? I doubt it, and the result would have been the same.

It seems to me that a number of us are judging you for being dishonest. Being honest about your dishonesty reminds me lover having an affair who gets caught and then admits to it. Then tries to get back some respect by saying “at least I’m honest.” It also reminds me of the current US President.

Don’t refund, hope for the best in the review but as RiverRock said, take the high road. You already said you feared karma and it has arrived swiftly in the form of the automatic refund and the guest still gets to review. If I were a guest and a host implied or lied about a refund in exchange for a good review and I kept up my part of the bargain I’d be furious. By engaging in this duplicity you’ve lost the upper hand.

No, I don’t think so. It’s almost as if you think you should never have to host a bad guest. And if they are bad it gives you the right to sink to their level.

3 Likes

I would have just refunded him for remaining nights and let him found something more suitable for his needs.

I don’t want unhappy guests staying with me.

Then I would have left him an honest review.

Game playing and lying to guests isn’t my style.

I just went through the same thing! They checked in yesterday at 4:30, I received an email from Air at 7:30 … stating that guests feel uncomfortable in the neighborhood ( eye roll)
The beach cottage is located in a quiet residential neighborhood. I reached out to the guest, and she states that she had no issues with the cottage, which receives nothing but 5 stars, but the neighborhood wasn’t what she envisioned for her vacation ( BIG EYE ROLL)
I said I would not refund them for two nights, they were planning on leaving in the morning, they were booked for a 3 night stay.
I then thought to myself, do I want to have these Dbags on our beach compound, where I live also, for 3 days? HELL NOoooooo!!!
So I spoke with resolution CSR, and said I would be more than happy to refund them the 2 nights, but their a$$es our leaving IMMEDIATELY!!! 15 minutes TOP!

She also reported that she “ may have seen a neighbor dressed indecently, in the street” MAY HAVE? You’d think you would know if you saw someone walking down the street naked as Hell! (Bigger HUGER EYE ROLL)
Good news= They have left the property in 15 minutes flat! ( sign them up for pit crew at NASCAR)
Better news= they paid $208 for rental rate and additional cleaning fee!
HUGE SMILE ON MY FACE!!!
Unbelievable

2 Likes