First guest cancelled their booking

I have my first guest today, she booked yesterday for oct. 7-Oct 24. And she suppose to check-in 9pm when she arrive, at 7pm, she told me she need to cancel the reservation because her brother found place for them…my policy are strict, she canceled the reservation at 10pm, and then she is asking me is I can give her 50% of refund… what should I do?

1 Like

Hi @Jimmmm,

I’d stick to your stated policy. Why would you do anything else?

6 Likes

of course don’t refund.

4 Likes

Give her NOTHING! Strict is strict! Be strong and don’t cave in.

4 Likes

Would you be able to get another booking in that time? If so, I’d give her whatever you could re-coup back to her up to 50%.

My mentality is that I treat people how I’d want to be treated if I made an innocent mistake.

If you can re-rent the dates then it is up to you to refund if you wish. Whatever you do, DO NOT pay her in cash or with a check or anything that is outside of the Air system. She could take a check from you, deposit it, and then file a chargeback on her credit card for “services not received.” Then you could be left holding the bag.

Even though Air reps. have told me they will eat the chargeback if I have already been paid - I do not believe them. Air may take it out of your future payouts.

3 Likes

@Jimmmm – Jim, “play dumb” and say that she needs to contact airbnb. Based on your strict policy, airbnb should not agree to any reimbursement.

3 Likes

Absolutely no to a refund. Why should you? Remember that if you do so, you are ‘training’ the guest to be casual and this will cause trouble for other people she books with in future.

Guests have to learn that they have entered into a legal agreement, they can’t just cancel willy nilly. It’s not as if we are like hotels with glaring neon lights outside saying ‘vacancies’ so can just get another guest straight away.

3 Likes

Thanks to all of you guys, I know what to do now…

1 Like

Here’s what you do. Enjoy spending her cash while she is sad. Too bad so sad!

6 Likes

Nope. Not a penny refunded. That is your policy and cancelling at 10pm because you found somewhere else, is ridiculous.

1 Like

@konacoconutz for the win!

1 Like