:wink:

JF

1 Like

Brown leather

And sorry but no, the final art is in my private collection

RR

2 Likes

And the content was?

I believe the lights and equipment they use need a lot of juice to run too.

1 Like

I have not actually opened them yet but let’s just say its right up my alley:)

RR

3 Likes

The oxygen channel filmed in my house last year.
The permitting and paperwork and insurance was all in place and it was a very tight contractual agreement, including every detail.
It was “easy money”.
The only problem is that due to the confidentiality of their future shows, I never knew which murder was the topic of the show, and so even now I have never seen the episode.
I only know that people involved in the murder ( family, friends, law enforcement etc ) came and went for few days for interviews.
I wish I could see the episode.

2 Likes

I had these types of inquiries and always denied. Yeah, sure, if they paid 4 times more and we have a separate contract and they are insured. yeah, being a student probably doesn’t have the money, nor the insurance but hey, he can film it someplace else. I’m not a charity. My insurance doesn’t cover this type of thing and if something goes wrong im screwed. I don’t want to have 20 people with their boots in my house, but that’s me.

RR are you serious? where did they find you? I would book them too if they are professional and have insurance and leave the place clean and pay3x 4x the going rate. I dont need them to leave anything for me. Not my type of thing. Just the money :slight_smile:

Yes, the first time they messaged on air, then direct after that. One of the producers works for another studio and then they booked:)

R

@RiverRock Even Burbank needs to get out to the mountains sometimes ,)

1 Like

They filmed in one of my houses this summer. Sounds like the same show too—was it “Murder for Hire”? My experience with them was very positive.

Different title…dont remember which, but yes Oxygen Channel

Sounds exactly like what they used my AirBnB for. The program is called “Murder for Hire” and is about contract killings. I don’t know the name of the episode they filmed here though I know it was about a wife who hired someone to murder her husband. I think the murder, though contracted for, never happened but the case was prosecuted in the local court.

We’ve had a film crew from the Discovery Channel on three separate occasions. They usually arrive around 3-5 pm and are gone by 8pm. They paid full price and each time it only required a quick vacuum in one small are of the house to get it ready for the next guest. Last time, we left drinks and snacks for the crew because they were such easy guests.

1 Like

I went with a friend of mine to take food to a place where her son and his crew were filming. He is either a current or recent graduate of our local arts school. They were spread out all over the house, sitting on counters. Someone contacted me about shooting at my place and after seeing that crew, I said no. It might be different with professional crews, though.

Also try Peerspace. If a film crew is booking you on AirBnb, they’re getting over on you. I charge $75/hr weekdays on Peerspace, 4-hr min-no overnights-no making of the beds or cleaning of the bathrooms. It’s a nice way to fill the calendar.

3 Likes

I feel very naïve having read the replies to this. I had a request from a woman asking to use my Airbnb for several days over the course of a couple of months, to film a short film to support an eating disorder charity. I googled her and found that she was an actress/producer.

They asked to have it for no cost but would invite me to the premiere. I agreed, and they were no trouble (except they put the heating up really high) and I quite enjoyed the thought of the filming going on there. They were good to their word and invited me to the premiere - but said they were charging £15 a seat. I couldn’t go, so didn’t get to see the film but have no regrets about having let them use it.

If I am asked again I don’t think I will let them use it for no cost!

2 Likes

This makes sense for a charity. If it was clear to you that you were basically donating to the charity, all well and good. If they misrepresented themselves, a pox on their houses.

3 Likes

I’ve had these requests, and always decline. Once you start talking about insurance and location fees, the “guest” moves on to try and find another host who doesn’t know that the daily location fee to rent a house for a film production can be upwards of $1,000 per day. If they are willing to a fair market rate location fee and have their paperwork in order, you might be interested in hosting.

I stayed in the guest room of an AirBnB in New York a few years ago, and the two tenants had sub-leased their apartment to a film crew for six months or so to film a movie. They were told the movie was an “independent film” and were paid something like $20,000 total to relocate for this time. They learned later that the film was actually a Hollywood-budget romcom starring Dakota Johnson and Rebel Wilson, and that they’d been severely underpaid to relocate.

2 Likes

I ended up declining the guest before we even talked about money. I just couldn’t justify having 20+ people in my house, no matter how much they promised to keep it nice and treat it “as they would treat their own home” (what does that even mean–how do I know you don’t trash your own house?). I also can’t believe the low rates I see some hosts giving to film crews, and they probably are happy to make twice what they normally charge, without realizing how much more they could make. At least where I live, the rates are minimum of $1000/day or more for a location, sometimes even a few hundred per hour. I’ll certainly entertain the idea of hosting a film crew again in the future for a smaller crew and the right price, just not this time.

1 Like

While it’s nice to be able to support charities, sometimes they do use that to get things for free, at your cost. I’m not sure where you’re from, but I’m guessing the UK with your comment about charging in pounds. Anyway, in the US if it is a legitimately registered charity, they can give you documentation of your donation so you can get a deduction on your income taxes. If your country does the same, you could claim a $1000 donation to charity (or whatever is the going rate for film rentals in your location).