Favorite toiletries for your guests?

I am shopping hotel sized toiletries for our guests and wondering what are your tried and true favorites?
I’m currently using “Native” brand mini bottles, but they are getting pricey.

I really don’t want to be part of the single-use plastics problem, so I refill pump containers from bulk. Not only is it much more environmentally friendly, it’s much more economical.

And while a lot of guests wouldn’t care, the type of guests I get, who are mostly environmentally aware folks, would probably appreciate not being given single use throw aways.

8 Likes

This is a real dilemma for me. I agree wholeheartedly with Muddy about the environmental aspect.

But because my rentals are what I like to think of as slightly luxurious, at the moment I supply Cowshed shampoo/conditioner and so on along with lip balm and other luxuries in a nice branded pouch.

I’d say that most guests don’t use them but it’s the thought that counts, I hope.

3 Likes

Most hotels are going to wall-mounted dispenser systems for shampoo, conditioner, and body wash and getting away from the single-use bottles.

7 Likes

I consider my Airbnb a budget/value Airbnb ($59-$99/night). I supply Costco brand (Kirkland Signature) shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. I also provide CeraVe foaming face wash. I just have full size bottles in the shower, never had an issue with people taking them. People frequently comment on how much they appreciate the full size products.

6 Likes

Another thing about single use sizes, is how many would you provide for a guest who stays for like a week? Just one of each to tide them over until they could go buy their own bottles? Or enough for their whole stay? Some people wash their hair every day. And even if they only washed their hair once a week, if you left enough for a week, they are liable to just throw any unused ones in their bag. I certainly have taken them when I’ve stayed in hotels.

The only single use toiletry I provide are little bar soaps. But there’s no plastic garbage involved in those- they come in little cardboard boxes.

1 Like

I see your point and do wonder if travel size is smart in the long run.
As of now, I set out out one set and keep extras under the bathroom sink, along with invidious toothbrushes, razors, etc.

Impressive autocorrect. At least I hope it’s autocorrect.

I like the Pantene mini bottles because they have flat tops and can be turned upside down to let the product run to the top of the bottle. They are mid size between “hotel size” and a small bottle of shampoo, I think around the 3 oz allowed by TSA. I refill them with the giant pump bottle from Costco. I like the flat top bottle of body wash, Olay is the current one and it’s a large size. None of my large bottles have ever been taken. I’ve had a couple of times where it seemed like a large amount of product would disappear in a short time and I suspect travellers were topping up their own bottles. But I mostly use smaller sizes instead of three giant pump bottles to leave room on the bath shelf for the guest to put their things.

No matter what you get, it’s such a personal thing that picky guests are going to bring their own. Many smells that one person finds pleasant are highly unpleasant to another. And there’s the whole fragrance free group as well.

I do think if one is going for a theme in the rental, buy accordingly. Luxury rental with Suave shampoo is not the choice I would make. Eco-conscious upscale? Mini bars of soap from the local soapmaker. In a mid-century rental like Jaquo’s, Zest and Aqua-Net. LOL.

My own rental doesn’t have a theme that calls for continuity in products but one thing I’ve done is use one brand for male guests traveling alone and a different one for females traveling alone.

3 Likes

I’ve got wall mounted pump dispensers from “Simple Human” in both showers. We top them off with a decent brand of body wash, shampoo, and conditioner. All of my guests seem to love them. I’m sure that some guests might be very picky about what products they want to use in the shower, but those guests are the ones that bring their own products anyway.
The Simple Human pumps are really well built have have held up for years under constant use. I’ve got the same sets mounted in my own house that have been in use for 15 years. You can find them at: I’ve got wall mounted pump dispensers from “Simple Human” in both showers. We top them off with a decent brand of body wash, shampoo, and conditioner. All of my guests seem to love them. I’m sure that some guests might be very picky about what products they want to use in the shower, but those guests are the ones that bring their own products anyway.
The Simple Human pumps are really well built have have held up for years under constant use. I’ve got the same sets mounted in my own house that have been in use for 15 years.

4 Likes

Dang you, now I am searching for little soaps shaped like the U.S. White House and the Capitol building.
This is a bit too expensive: Heritage Presidential Soap Set | Luxury Bath Soap | Caswell-Massey®

1 Like

Time to pick up a soapmaking hobby? Make your own. Perhaps stamping a small bar is easy? Cookie stamps or cookie cutters, a metal punch? Hmmmmm. off to googleland I go.

This etsy person will make custom stuff:

Maybe the DC flag would be easy? How about chocolates?

3 Likes

I found a website with several themes, one of which fits my Airbnb well. The price seems reasonable.
They have mountain, lake, beach, and retreat themes and a few more.

They also have bulk size for those who are concerned with the one use plastic.

1 Like

Their prices do seem reasonable and some of the little tubes say they are biodegradable, (although I’d personally want to research that more- like biodegradable in 50 years or 6 months).

One thing jumped out at me, which is totally incorrect-
“Did you know Airbnb requires you provide your guests with a bar of soap?”

Airbnb doesn’t require hosts to provide guests with anything. “Soap” is part of the “essentials” amenity, which is a suggestion that all hosts provide these, and I’m sure almost every host does, but it isn’t required. Nor is “a bar of soap” a requirement- liquid soap is fine, and while I do provide little soap bars, few of the guests use them- most seem to prefer the liquid soap.

2 Likes

Get thee behind me Satan.
All I (DON’T) need is another DIY project! :rofl:

I’ve had a thick poplar board sitting in my garage for about 5 years, plus hairpin leg sets, plus vintage postcards and other paper ephemera, and vintage subway tokens, political pins and other items, and a special drill bit to countersink large holes for the said items, plus resin to suspend the items in the holes and coat the paper ephemera, to make bespoke benches with Philly and NYC themes.

There it all sits.

4 Likes

I have a friend who has 2 daughters, 13 years apart in age. She started sewing a pair of pajamas for the older one when she was 3 years old. Never got them finished, and packed the unfinished project away.

When her younger daughter was a toddler, she ran across that project and thought, “Oh cool, I’ll finish them up for Susie.”

By the time she got them done, the younger one had outgrown that size.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I’ve been offering for the past five years and I never had a guest complain.

The are a TX company, too bad there is no Frontera/Borderlands or Desert theme.

Please use “themes” sparingly. A little here and there is good, but too much and it’s really tacky. Ever gone to a beach house where everything is seashells?

5 Likes

So true. Also not trying to emulate prevalent decor just because that’s how other rentals in the area are furnished.
I recall a post on another forum from a woman who had an apartment in Hawaii she was getting ready to furnish and list. She said basically every rental there had wicker furniture, palm tree patterned fabrics, seashells placed all over, all the art on the walls was of the ocean, palm trees, and so on. She didn’t like that style, wanted to do something more modern and eclectic and was asking if others thought that was okay- if guests would expect the beachy decor and pass on her listing.

All the hosts who responded told her to do whatever she was inspired to, and I pointed out that a lot of guests probably vacation in Hawaii every year, and are as sick of the wicker/palm tree decor as she is.

Personally I’ve never understood why you’d want photos or paintings of the beach and ocean on the walls when you can see the same thing for real out the window.

1 Like

Haha. I totally agree. We have a lake house and if I bought the toiletries with the lake “theme” it would be the first thing with mention to the lake. I know what you mean and was going for the subtle, not saturated vibe. Thanks for the comment, made me laugh for sure!

2 Likes