Favorite laundry detergent?

The brand really depends on which country you are in. Same stuff is sold with different names in different countries.

We buy our detergent from a professional cleaning supplier.

We buy the washing powder in 18kg bags, much cheaper and efficient than the normal stuff in the supermarket.

http://shop.hagleitner.com/produkte/havon-manual-39/havon-ultra-247/

Check around, there are suppliers like this everywhere.

1 Like

Tide Free and sometimes a drop of lavender or citrus essential oil on the wooly dryer balls.

I’m a big fan of Tide pods or Costco pods. At first we offered liquids and powders. Always had spills on the washer or folding table. The pods took care of finding any kind of detergent mess after checkout. Just FYI about fabric softener sheets. After a recent dryer repair, the repairman told us fabric softener sheets happen to be a huge factor behind dryer breakdowns. The sheets deposit a film which interrupts electronic connections.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of Tide pods or Costco pods. At first we offered liquids and powders. Always had spills on the washer or folding table. The pods took care of finding any kind of detergent mess after checkout. Just FYI about fabric softener sheets. After a recent dryer repair, the repairman told us fabric softener sheets happen to be a huge factor behind dryer breakdowns. The sheets deposit a sticky film which interrupts electronic connections.

Who to accommodate:

I’m not sure which side of guests to please: those who want to know their sheets are cleaned and smell fresh (we use Gain) or those who are sensitive and don’t want any smell to their bedding?

We have been hosting our cabin for 8 months and have had only 2 separate guests complain of the sheets smelling like detergent. They state they are sensitive to the smell. We do offer the guests access to our washer and dryer as well as provide both Free and Clear detergent options and scented detergent. how do we handle this so we don’t possibly get a negative review because of the sheets being clean!

I do want to note our cleaners wash the laundry for us but I can’t tell them for every guest ahead of time which detergent to use.

Simple solution, use free and clear detergent. I’ve used it for years. I hosted in an AZ town that a lot of people with sensitivities flocked to and they were glad to stay at my place with none of the smells.

When I’ve stayed at STR’s and they have the detergent and dryer smells, it is gross and I’ve no interest in sleeping in the bed. If they have plug in smelly machines, I unplug them and stick them in a cabinet.

I don’t understand why people use this crap.

2 Likes

I’m am thinking that is the route to go, but we’ve also had compliments with how they appreciate the cleanliness and knowing everything is clean. :woman_facepalming:t3:

Chemical smells make something clean?

Never did the chemical smell thing and never heard a comment about things not being clean.

2 Likes

It’s astounding and sad that advertisers have been able to convince people that "clean " involves an added scent.

I use mild detergent designed to be safe for baby clothes, no fabric softeners, and hang my laundry out on the line to dry. Line drying has not made my towels stiff, in fact one guest asked me how I keep them so soft.

2 separate guests complaining about the chemical smell of the linens in 8 months is a wake-up call. I’ve been hosting since 2016 and not one guest has had to complain about a chemical smell nor has any guest expressed any doubt that the linens are clean.

2 Likes

I would like to use washer sheets to reduce plastic waste. I tried some and was not impressed. They also get poor reviews.
Does anyone here use them?
How many landfill square yards have you filled with detergent containers?

None. The detergent I buy comes in plastic bags. Still plastic waste, but not like those big plastic bottles.
If there was a bulk soap store where I live, I’d bring my own container and just refill it.

I also use the powdered, but sometimes it does not all come out. Now we have a new washer, so I’m hoping I can use it more often. However it is hard to find in unscented. I have looked into refill options, which are a drive and seeming on the high end for liquid pricing.

I use Biokleen, free and clear. I buy it in 10 lb. boxes and if I can’t find it locally, I buy it online, at Vitacost. This is the one I’ve used for years.

[quote=“gypsy, post:32, topic:32510”] I
also use the powdered, but sometimes it does not all come out.
[/quote]

You mean there’s clumps of soap that don’t dissolve? Or the clothes just still seem soapy? I have a top loader and the water runs through the soap tray when it fills, so it all dissolves as it goes into the barrel. If they still seem soapy, maybe you need to just use less powdered soap?

1 Like

Sometimes the soap does not dissolve completely in cold water. I do mix it with water or swish it. Our new machine no area outside of barrel to put soap. I generally use much less soap than those giant measuring cups they give you so they can sell more. The lines on the cups are way close to the bottom.

1 Like

I use True Earth eco-strips. I’ve found them to be really good. I think that there is a scented version but I always get the unscented.

I add a half cup of either borax or washing soda if necessary.

I line dry as many towels as I can. Sheets, duvet covers, shower curtains and so on are too big to dry on my puny line. But I always line dry pillowcases because I love the smell of laundry dried outside in the sun and I hope that guests do too.

Everything I launder for the apartments is white so I’m pretty picky but happy with the results.

1 Like

Ah, that makes sense. While my machine isn’t even hooked up to hot water, my water is never actually cold, since it gravity feeds from a big black water storage tank on the roof.

1 Like