Faucet types - two spigots or one handle?

Some of our taps here have the old-fashioned setup with a separate hot water and cold water spigot. This includes both the basin and the shower in the guest bathroom. In some other places, I have a single handle which controls both hot and cold, which seems much preferable to me. It’s generally easier to use, and one can control it with the back of a hand or even an elbow, if ones hands are dirty. It’s one step closer to hands free operation. Perhaps one day we will be able to talk to our taps - hotter, colder, more water, less water…

While no guests have complained about this, I’m considering replacing the former setup of two spigots with a one handle system. What are your thoughts? Are two spigots better than one handle for some reason I haven’t thought of?

Faheem
If you like an old fashioned vibe, two faucets are fine. However, it is much more modern and practical to have a single lever faucet. Look at Hansgrohe

1 Like

Hi @Maggieroni,

A single lever faucet for both a basin and a shower?

Yes! Very euro style and easier to clean. If you’re not replacing the lavatory you can get covers for the holes. Faucets are either 4 or 8 inch spread.

1 Like

This Brit needs an explanation! I understand ‘handle’ but what’s the spigot? The actual tap bit that the water comes out of?

Sorry, plumbing baffles me … :slight_smile:

Plumbing terms are confusing. It’s the round thing you turn open and closed to regulate the release of water.

2 Likes

Single lever mixers are a must ! I don’t see the point of two handles faucets unless you have a very traditional design scheme (like duvets and kettles and induction, these are one those things I don’t understand why they are not yet universally embraced).

Hansgrohe is definitely the brand to buy. Grohe is good too, but Hansgrohe usually is better designed, engineered and made in my opinion.

3 Likes

You are sooo European lol
Love Hansgrohe

1 Like

I don’t follow that sentence. What does the lavatory to do with it? To be clear, I understand lavatory to mean toilet. But on looking it up, I see it can also mean a room containing a toilet and a sink or a bathroom sink. The latter usage is completely unfamiliar to me. So you probably mean one of those. Yay for multiple meanings of the same word.

If that tap is yours, could I get an image of that at a different angle? I’m not sure what I’m seeing.

1 Like

The lavatory Is the basin you wash your hands in. In a kitchen it’s the sink. These are the proper industry terms in the USA.
Water comes out of the faucet, and the lever is the single handle mixer of hot and cold water. That will be 5 cents please!

3 Likes

For budget remodels I usually specify this model for bathroom sinks:

Surprisingly, Hansgrohe is available in India. I wonder how insanely overpriced they are. I don’t suppose anyone is familiar with the Jaguar Indian brand?

I’ve literally never heard that word used in that way. But Indian English inherits from British English to a first approximation. Is this usage familiar to British people?

It’s a Hansgrohe single lever faucet. Bought online. I installed it into the existing lav until I replace the whole thing. I’ll keep the faucet, I love it as do our guests. It’s the Airbnb bath.

1 Like

In Europe a hansgrohe mixer cost anywhere from €70 to €1000, depending on the model and the reseller. The bottom of their range (named Focus) works just fine if you don’t need a special design or a luxe feel.

Hi @Maggieroni,

That’s a great photo! Thanks.

1 Like

It’s from Middle English and Latin see below

Hi @Barthelemy,

I think a Jaguar might be Rs 5000 here. That’s around USD 75. It sounds like Hansgrohe starts around there. How is it possible for a tap to cost 1000 Euros?

I regard 3 as standard. 2 I’ve seen used. 1 is completely unfamiliar to me. That’s one overloaded word, I’ve got to say.

For US. Costco members they have Hansgrohe online and single handle lavatory faucets in the their stores.

1 Like