Fairly new host - had my first less than stellar guest - advice on how to deal with her review and moving forward needed!

Thoughts?

During Yanerys’ stay, neighbors complained regarding the noise level and the late hours at which guests were outside. A neighbor also commented that she saw some of the guests on the roof of the house, likely accessed from the second story windows. The screens in those windows were removed and left in the rooms. Excessive amounts of trash were left behind (10 bags for a 2 night stay) and one bag included a kitty litter box (no pets were allowed). A wrapper for a cigar was found in the house (no smoking allowed) and the house was left in a less than tidy fashion. There was food burned onto the glass top stove in the kitchen. Initial contact for reservation indicated this was to be a last minute family reunion, but when the guest called regarding a circuit that blew, and we sent over our neighbor/electrician, he said they invited him to stay and drink to celebrate a 21st birthday.

You know, you could word it like this: a failure to abide by these rules (the ones I listed above in my first post) means ‘you run the risk of forfeiting your damage deposit’. That way you cover your behind and still sound like you really do not want partiers.

2 Likes

Reeny, sounds good! I’ll have to add it in :slightly_smiling:

Reeny, this idea wont fly with Air… You can’t keep or claim damage deposits for these reasons. Has to actually be real damages. You have to show proof too, receipts, estimates and photos to make a claim.

I think it’s being too kind. I would not hold back at all. what is the point in holding back.? You should also give your feelings as a host…how did this guest make you feel. . Say something like: this guest made us very uncomfortable, they didn’t respect me, our house rules or our neighbors and I can’t recommend them.

Next time call Air right away to open a case. You can cancel at any time during their stay and ask them to leave! You can’t allow guests to take control of our house. air will be sympathetic. They take this kind of behavior seriously.

2 Likes

I figured that, but his rules were very strongly written and whether they were enforceable or not, they sure sounded intimidating. I didn’t replicate them on my own site because I had my doubts too. That’s why i suggested a “you run the risk” business. It follows that if you have a wild party there might be damage, so that’s not exactly outside the ball park. That said, for a house that has a lot of bedrooms, big parties are what will be drawn to it. Some kind of reinforcement is needed here. I’m thinking the extra guest cost might be the most effective.

1 Like

It might not work for everyone but I have a 5 night minimum which works really well for weeding out parties, especially since my place is in a popular destination in Florida.

2 Likes

I have not had this issue yet. My place is a one bedroom and when I finally get a foldout couch, I plan to ask $50/night for extra adult guest. If the wear and tear is doubled, the price should also rise significantly.
And do write that review…as advised wait till the last minute.

1 Like

This story is an excellent witness to the fact that we must not be too shy in leaving reviews of guests who are disrespectful of the rules or home.

2 Likes