Fair or unfair host?

A lot of companies however dont stretch the compensation far, my insurance mainly covers luggage and such instead of yknow shower doors just collapsing

I know of no insurance company that would have ‘shower doors collapsing’ as a line item in their policy. Medical attention in the case of accidents though, yes.

2 Likes

My travel insurance covers medical and dental, lost luggage, travel delays. Repatriation after accident, illness, accomodation and expenses if the trip has to be extended, theft and damage of property, life insurance, and car renewal insurance. All free on my Visa card

Well im sure it comes under something breaking since theyre able to pay €100 max. :slight_smile:
We still havent heard back after sending airbnb the email.

Strange, because the travel insurance should not cover the door.
The door should be covered by your liability insurance.

No Chiienna. Your travel insurance is unlikely to cover the door. Erm… have you looked at your policy?

The door should be covered by the homeowner’s liability insurance. Neither the guest nor her insurance should be paying one penny for this door.

2 Likes

Well. I would be careful reporting this to your homeowners by saying a paying guest did the deed!

All I’m saying is that the host is responsible. She should pay or have insurance

All i know is the woman from my travel insurance conpany who i spoke to on the phone to when i was on holiday said she would look into if there is anything they could do about the payment which im assuming the reason they said they could only do €100 was because of the fact im 17 and majority of my money/pretty much all my money went on hospital bills. However i dont know, i dont even plan on paying a penny to the homeowner.
The host says her home insurance wont cover it and obviously we got the email from airbnb asking for our side of the story because she hadnt recieved the payment of €613 she requested and the email said that the airbnb insurance policy wouldnt cover it becauae “i did the damage”.
I put that in quotation marks because i really cant wrap my head around the fact i got injured because i closed the door. LIGHTLY.
I still laugh at the fact when we were leaving and we gave her the keys she asked if there were any tips we could give her…
Anyway, i will do updates when i hear anything from airbnb or the host herself.

2 Likes

Chiienna your responsibility is not to pay for the door. Use your insurance to claim back by medical expenses you’ve had! In the meantime I hope you followed the advice on this thread and made both the host and Airbnb aware that glass doors can fail and in the process, shatter.

The host isn’t exactly at fault either as she couldn’t have known that the glass door was going to do this; this is pretty much a blameless injury where neither party is at fault. As such you need to cover your medical expenses and the host needs to pay her own repair bills.

2 Likes