Fair or unfair host?

That looks like tempered glass to me. It looks like exactly like that when it’s broken.

That said; I doubt this is your fault.

@Chris Very interesting and good to know. I don’t have any glass doors or walls in my bathrooms but now I’d think twice before installing any. @Chiienna You should definitely win your case and in my opinion the host should be paying for your hospital bill and being glad you are unlikely to sue. If this happened to me in the US, I’d be talking to a lawyer as soon as she demanded I pay for the door. Let us know the final outcome.

I doubt suing will be possible in this case especially as it’s in Europe; maybe a claim against travel insurance though. Really very unlucky.

I did say she was unlikely to sue. And if it happened to me in a foreign country I wouldn’t sue. But in the US homeowners generally have liability insurance. The homeowner should be paying, the guest shouldn’t have to pay anything as she is not at fault. And yes, she may have had travel insurance but that doesn’t relieve the homeowner or responsibility. Edit: I wouldn’t sue if the homeowner showed the proper care and concern. I’d only start pushing back when she claimed I should pay for the door.

1 Like

In the Netherlands most people also have liability insurance,
The problem is that the insurance most likely will not pay, because this is a commercial activity.

But yes, if I would be the guest and I would get wounded, I would push back, and tell the host to withdraw the claim, or alles I would also file a claim for the medical cost.

1 Like

This host probably has no idea that a shower door could explode like that. @Chiienna should make her and Airbnb aware (perhaps include a link to your article). That should be the end of that but if necessary, a post on Airbnb’s twitter about dangerous shower glass in host homes should do the trick.

I didn’t know they could shatter like that either. I’ve seen tempered glass shatter when my former flatmate left the oven on for 28 hours but that’s another story

I’d send that article over to the host. Hopefully the host counts their lucky stars a child wasn’t in there.

Thank you for updating @Chiienna. It’s often a bit frustrating not to know what happened after people post a story. Your story is not finished yet, of course, and I hope you’ll continue to let us know.
I am pretty convinced by the similarity between your photos and those of @Chris link. You should definitely take that advice and send the link to Air. Send it to the host too.

It looks pretty much identical, the thing that has shocked me the most is that the cut i have on my wrist is about half an inch from my veins and i didnt want to even go to the hospital for the one on my wrist and most likely still wouldnt want to if i was just bleeding out but my boyfriend convinced me to.
The ambulence took around 30minutes to get to our home and if it was on my veins i would have lost a lot of blood.
Within the last week ive resorted to only baths since im terrified of glass showers and even though mine has a seal and metal incased and has been fine for 5+ years im still scared to the point i wouldnt even put my finger on the glass let alone move it.
Im just glad it was me and not someone else who maybe wouldnt of had insurance.
Even then, my insurance only covers my hospital fee and its still a 2 week waiting for the claims.
Thank you to everyone who replied it has been nice :slight_smile:

Well that is why there are travel insurances.
To cover the costs abroad, that are not covered by your health insurance.

I see this a lot, people not having travel insurance, breaking a leg while skiing and then get stuck with a €1500 helicopter rescue bill.

And travel insurance is relatively cheap, so I see not reason to not take one.

yes, its very hard to even get deposit reuqired to book a place.

It was travel insurance although it would only cover about €100 for the door.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I,think travel.insurance usually only covers cancellations and the like… not medical bills.

Nope it covers medical bills too. Here’s a link to the FAQ for my trip insurance.

https://www.etravelprotection.com/aa/FAQ/

1 Like

Wow. Well, since Air is such a proponent of traveling they really shoukd encourage all travelers to buy it, maybe even offer it as an option during the booking process like you see airlines do.

4 Likes

Depending on the policy, you can get insurance that covers such things as travel delays and/or medical. It’s always wise to get the medical because just a simple fender bender while you’re travelling can cost a fortune if you need a neck brace or whatever.

When we travel, the medical insurance is more important to us than other issues (we are old!)

A couple of years ago though, my dad had a stroke when he was on a cruise ship in Europe. He had to be airlifted to a nearby hospital and then flown home. That would have cost millions (maybe I exaggerate but you see what I mean) had he not had medical insurance.

Medical emergencies can happen at any age though.

1 Like

There are 2 different ones.

One we call travel insurance, it covers medical bills, lost luggage etc, and sometimes cancellation (depending on the policy)

The other we call cancelation insurance, this is often offered by travel agencies and hotels.

And yes, we offer it as an option when people book direct with us trough our website.

This is the company we use for it: https://www.europaeische.at/en.html

My travel insurance (I pay for an annual policy) includes medical bills up to X amount (can’t remember but it’s over 120k) including airlifting and flights back home for treatment. You do need to make sure you disclose every single part of you health history in order to ensure you don’t invalidate it by accident; this is one case where you really have to tell all even though you know they’re going to discriminate.

Like @jaquo this is the most valuable part of my travel insurance. I’m actually not too worried about lost suitcases or missed flights; I do care about my health.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve only ever had travel insurance that covers medical as well - as you just never know! You can get flight only travel insurance as well which is ideal for me as I’m back and forth between three countries (uk, us, nz).

1 Like

Also top tip here - if you’re skiing / snowboarding and you’ve been drinking, have an accident and need airlifting off, they will breathalyzer you. If you’re over the limit - your insurance is void!!! It happened to a friend of a friend. Silly girl!

4 Likes