Extra charge for dogs

We have a “no pets” policy for our 1 bedroom Casita rental. It’s sits by itself and is only 650 sq ft. We have a request for 3 weeks from the middle of December through the first week of January. We are set up for 2 people and we charge $25 per person for extra guests up to 2.
The prospective guests are asking if we will accept their 35 lb goldendoodle. We want to charge a $10 per day fee for the dog and a $200 refundable deposit.
Any suggestions?

Just say no. Don’t start breaking your own rules right from the start.

2 Likes

People who start off asking if they can break a “No” rule can be a portent of more entitlement to come. As is mentioning the size and breed of dog (unless they are just answering you asking that), as if “no pets” means “no pets except for 35 pound goldendoodles.”

Any size or breed of dog can cause or not cause issues. Some dogs are better guests than their people, and some pee on the rug and chew things up. It’s mainly the training that matters, not the size or breed.

3 Likes

Also these people want to book 3 weeks over Xmas and New Year’s holidays?Seems like you could easily get bookings for those dates from guests who aren’t asking you to waive your rules for them.

5 Likes

A few days ago we got a RTB from potential guest with dog disclosed. Turns out it was a service dog trained to help owner stop biting fingernails and a Doberman. They retracted request after I asked several questions (crate? never left at any part of property by itself, what tasks trained for etc) and we’re relieved because if the dog got loose he probably would have marauded the neighbors unfenced chickens.

We are “no pets” . I’m guessing that you cannot add an exorbitant pet fee if you are “no pets”??

We got a replacement booking and he arrived late as expected and planned. He also is paying me to have set up red roses, bows and candy for his Gf. I have never done that but I wonder if it is an extra that could be profitable.

I used to occasionally accept pets on a per case basis before going pet friendly. If you are comfortable with it, go ahead. Often I would just charge the pet as an extra person. Otherwise just request extra money for the full amount of the pet fee, this can be done through airbnb under the booking. I suppose you could collect a deposit the same way, and just return it at the end of the booking. Airbnb does cover damages under host protection if you don’t want to deal a the deposit

Airbnb doesn’t cover damages. You might be able to convince them to, but it isn’t a given and they normally won’t give you full replacement cost unless it’s a low cost item.

2 Likes

Anyone who is relying on Aircover should thoroughly read the [very long] help article on the subject.

Especially this part:

Host Damage Protection is not an insurance policy. To the extent you desire protection beyond Host Damage Protection, Airbnb strongly encourages you to purchase insurance that will cover you and your property for losses caused by Guests or Guests’ invitees in the event your loss is not an Eligible Loss within these Host Damage Protection Terms.

Such ‘event’ bookings surely can be profitable. We never offered that but amongst our first guests that we hosted we had a guy who wanted to ‘surprise’ his GF for Valentine’s Day. The amount of artificial rose petals and candle wax stains all over the apartment in places where gravity seemed to be non-existent was mind-boggling… Ever since we do not allow the use of such decorative nonsense.

3 Likes

If I know that a guests will be here for a special occasion, then I supply a few extras but not charge for them.

For example, a couple celebrating an anniversary will get a bottle of fizz and some red roses. It seems a bit mean to charge for them.

Yeah! An engagement guest brought 1000 pink fake rose petals and then cleaned them all up except for about 6. I’m sure glad they did!

This last guest just departed without taking their 2 dozen red roses!

1 Like

I have used it several times, photos or evidence are required as well as receipts or service bills. First step is to ask the guest for compensation and then it goes to airbnb if they don’t respond. Of course it’s not homeowners insurance, but in my experience they cover anything a $200 refundable pet deposit would if there is damage. I’ve had more damage from children than pets in my rentals.

When I first started renting with airbnb we were actually allowed to require a deposit, they dropped that when they instituted the aircover policy.

1 Like

Our default is no pets. However, we have accepted dog requests multiple times when we felt comfortable with the client and with the dog. We have never had a problem so far. That said, our unit (a bit over 3,000 ft2) is not extremely vulnerable to dog damage.

I think your idea about a refundable cleaning deposit is a good one. On the whole, if you want the business, I’d say go for it if your gut feel is good. Of course, be ready for a potential problem :slight_smile:

Is that really a thing? Doesn’t sound like it’s in the same category of importance as epileptic seizures, PTSD, diabetes, etc.

I’m not an expert but it sounds odd to me. More like an ESA than a true service dog.

1 Like

I think the guest realized it might not be the best fit for many reasons. After I asked her about dogs tasks, never left alone, always leashed etc, before she wrote that, and then she retracted her request.

I do love Dobermans they are so intelligent, and they make great service dogs, but the social stigmas they suffer works against their owners sometimes.

I do know that some people can bite their fingernails until they are gone and bloody and if a dog could help them, it would be great, esa or true service animal, idk.

I would think that someone who bites their fingernails til they bleed would benefit from a service dog that stops them from doing that not only because of the act itself, but people who do that suffer from anxiety and if they are alerted by the dog to stop, it helps them realize that something is stressing them out and to deal with it.

I have a friend who suffers from OCD and was in therapy for years. It didn’t “cure” her OCD, but helped make her aware of when those behaviors are escalating, so she can then assess what is stressing her out and deal with it.

1 Like