Exhausting checkin

That’s on Airbnb, not guests. Airbnb tells guests that 4*s means good, and in the real world, there is nothing wrong with good.

4 Likes

you are right. I know, I’m just saying.

Do you have any kind of info in your rental that explains the Airbnb rating system? Many hosts do and have found that it helps.

As a homeshare host, I end up sitting around chatting with many guests, and so I sometimes mention it verbally. What I have found is that guests have zero idea how ratings affect hosts and good guests are shocked when they find out that a 4 star rating from one guest could lose a host their Superhost status.

One super nice guest I had said she had been leaving 4* overall reviews for all the places she had stayed, which she liked and would happily book again, as she thought 5*s was only for over-the-top amazing. She thanked me for letting her know how it works on the host’s side- she felt terrible that she could have tanked a host’s rating.

Not only did she leave me a 5* review, she will never leave other hosts 4*s again unless there are issues that deserve that.

2 Likes

Because guests reviews are based on their honest experiences. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

THIS IS SARCASM

1 Like

That is all that needs to be said. :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :rofl:

1 Like

If it’s not sarcasm, you should read this forum, you gonna be unpleasantly surprised. You are the new host or just lucky one (yet, mwahaha)

now i’m thinking about it

if you add your checkin info (it’s after Wi-Fi, app only, yes ), airbnb sends it automatically to guest when he asks you something like “what is the address, door code, town name etc”.
muddy I don’t like airbnb attitude, too, but you are not right here:) it’s not like “because a guest asks about these things, it means the host hasn’t already provided this information” it’s more like “you have already got this info, you stupid guest, ok, read it again, jeez” :rofl:

1 Like

That’s exactly what I said, Julia- that it’s almost always that the host has been clear about things and the guest hasn’t bothered to pay attention to the info provided. But Airbnb always takes the attitude that it must be the host’s fault.

2 Likes

I’m wondering if this guest was substance impaired (you mentioned a lot of bottles left in your space) or perhaps disabled neurologically.

I get a lot of heavy drinkers who leave dozens of bottles and cans. So far no property damage but my luck is going to run out on this.

I’ve only had one guest who was obviously a closet drinker, judging by the amount of empty liquor bottles in his room. He never used the shared kitchen except to get drinking water and stash a couple of beers in the fridge, literally only one or two per day. But I never saw him visibly inebriated, and he was a quiet, easy guest to host.

However, he was the only homeshare guest I’ve had who seemed uncomfortable with social interaction. We exchanged pleasant greetings when we saw each other in passing, but none of the easy banter I usually experience with guests. He could have been on the autism spectrum or just shy, but seeing all those liquor bottles gave some insight as to his behavior.

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!
Today I had a guest who checked in yesterday (which involved at least 50 messages back & forth, as he was insistent on checking in at 9am when I clearly state and had told him that check in begins from 3pm, unless he wanted to book the night before also) contact me complaining that he didn’t like the smell of my washing detergent and could i suggest a way that he remove the smell!
I politely suggested he wash the sheets in the washing machine provided, purchasing some detergent that he likes the smell of! He replied asking me what programme on the machine I would recommend and where to put the detergent…
Some guests literally refuse to think for themselves and it seems to me that more and more of them think that hosts are a personal Google service!?

1 Like

Can I ask what you write on the instructions of how the stars work? If I stay somewhere and had no big issues I leave a 5 star. Would love to have my guests know that if they enjoyed their stay and and would happily stay again that deserve a 5.

I don’t write anything, as I’m a homeshare host, so it’s something I would mention in the course of conversation when sitting around chatting with my guests. And it’s not something I do on a regular basis with all guests- if it flows organically with easy to talk to guests I sometimes do. Sometimes they might be telling me about other Airbnbs they’ve stayed at, or asking me about hosting, as they’ve been thinking about listing a room in their home.

But the jist of it I think would be more or less the same approach if one were writing it. If it sounds like you are shilling for a 5* review, that’s a really bad idea and could totally backfire.

I actually am not stressed about ratings at all, so it’s easy for me to talk about to guests. What bothers me about the rating system is that Airbnb is so hypocritical- they lead guests to think that 4* is good, then turn around and tell hosts they need to to pull up their socks. So that’s what I convey- that guests may be aware that hosts want 5* ratings, but don’t realize why- that it isn’t because hosts think they’re perfect or have an over-the-top fantastic place, it’s just because of the way Airbnb deals with it. So I talk about that, and I’ve found that guests don’t like that as well. “Then why do they tell us 4* is good? They should let us know how ratings affect hosts- I’d feel terrible if I realized I had caused a host to lose their Superhost status, thinking they’d be pleased with my 4* rating.”

I also say that when a guest understands that, that doesn’t mean they should ever feel pressured to leave 5* s if there were issues that weren’t dealt with satisfactorily- if they really think it only deserves 4* s or 3, then rate accordingly. But to be aware that a 5* rating doesn’t mean it’s the Four Seasons, just that they got what was advertised, the host was available if necessary and dealt with any legitimate issue politely and as promptly as possible, that they were comfortable.

In other words, I just try to convey the facts in a conversational way, so guests would hopefully understand that I’m just sharing information with them, for them to do with as they choose.

As far as writing something for a house manual, I’ve seen lots of examples, and you may be able to do a search here for a thread on it. The ones I like best are humorous- seems like that would take any feeling of pressure tactics out of it.

A sign on the back of the driver’s seat of an Uber I read about-
1* I fail
2* I fail
3* I fail
4* I fail
5* I get to keep my job

Not suggesting that for an Airbnb, but it certainly gets the message across, while conveying that the ratings have to do with how the company they work under calls the shots.

1 Like

That makes a lot of sense!!! Thank you so much for the fantastic explanation.

1 Like

pretty sure he’s just a moron, lol.

3 Likes

give me a hug! :grin: yes, we are servants, that’s exactly what guests are thinking.

omg, I’d steal that. But the reason I never told my guests true about airbnb ratings is I’m sure they will decide I’m lying just because I wanna get “5”.

2 Likes

That’s why it’s important to word things as simply information, that the guest can do with what they like, rather than sounding like you are pushing them to give you a 5* review.

If you are stressed about your ratings, that is much harder to do, as your anxiety about it would probably influence how you spoke about it.

I don’t think the majority of guests give a rat’s ass whether a place has a 4.9 or 4.5 rating. They are mostly first looking at price and location and suitability for their needs. And I’ve had guests tell me they don’t put stock in the ratings, because there are too many places with 5* ratings, so it doesn’t seem believable.

1 Like

I’ve had another one and hoping someone can advise whether they think there’s any point in me continuing my complaint to Airbnb…

This guest requested check in at 10am, didn’t show up until 8:30pm. I offer a self check in with keys collected from a KeyNest store 2 mins away. To enter the building there is a keypad at the door. I have very clear check in instructions, including troublshooting steps (for people that don’t follow the instructions correctly first time!) as well as photos uploaded.
I also reiterate the basics of the code entry in the message thread, as I’ve learnt that many guests don’t know where to find the ‘check in instructions’ on the app. Despite my advising them where they can be found…
I rent 3 flats in this building and the instructions have been working well for the last Few months (I’m continually updating them, following certain guests with their particular issues…)
2 other guests and my cleaner had checked in earlier that day with no issues at all, so I knew that there was no issue with the panel when this guest contacted me saying that the code entry system ‘wasn’t working’.
I was in Mexico in a taxi, with wobbly service, but replied to her within 2 mins to ask if she had found the check in instructions to follow
‘I’ve followed them but it’s still telling me I need a tenant code’
Me: ‘then please press X to clear the screen and start again’ (as explained in the instructions)
Guest: ‘I’ve followed the instructions and it’s not working’
Me: ‘then I’m afraid you must not be doing it correctly. Please press X again then it will ask you for the password’…I won’t bore you further with the rest of the instructions I sent her
Guest: ‘I managed to get through the first door with a neighbour but now I’m having the same issue at the 2nd door’
This made me certain that she was the issue, not the keypad!
I asked her to clear the screen and follow the instructions very slowly.
10 mins later she cancelled the reservation.
I messaged her to ask what had happened, as she had sent me no further messages nor had she called to ask for further help.
She stated she needed to get in and out of the building ‘safely’ (this building is in one of the most affluent and safe areas of London I may add) and as she couldn’t do so she’d decided to leave.
‘I didn’t feel I could ask for more help as you were just telling me I was doing it wrong’
Well, SHE WAS! I’m not going to tell her the keypad must be broken, when I know full well that it’s not!?
I advised I wouldn’t be able to refund her as she’d cancelled without discussion
Her next message said ‘all good, keys are returned to the store’
My cleaner went to the apartment the next day and the guest had been in! Used the washing machine, toilet and had a cup of tea!

Of course, 2 days later she contacts AirBnb requesting a full refund. On the basis that she couldn’t lock the apartment door!? Yet she told me she hadn’t been able to get in!
So which is it? Make your mind up!

I advised this wouldn’t be possible because she’d made the decision without discussion. That I knew there was no issue with the entry system or the locking of the apartment door, as my cleaner was there and had confirmed it.
However, had she told me she wanted to cancel I would have got on the phone or (albeit reluctantly) sent a friend over to show her how to work the keypad. But she didn’t give me the opportunity.
So what followed… the 1* review. Stating that access to the listing wasn’t possible!
So she fully lied to both me and Airbnb.
And yet customer services are saying that her review states her experience and doesn’t violate any policies so they won’t take it down!!

What about host to guest or Airbnb policies about honesty of a situation?
It’s clear to me this guest just didn’t need to stay anymore (where else did she just happen to find to stay at 8:30pm on a Saturday night in London, if she didn’t already have somewhere to stay prior to this debacle)

I’ve spoken to 3 advisors on the phone. A manager just messaged me saying their decision is final and closed out the ticket without letting me reply.

Meanwhile my listing has dropped from 4.86 to 4.64 and, despite my giving her 2 and 3* in my review her score remains at 5!?
I don’t fully understand why listing scores drop so drastically from one poor review, yet guest scores don’t?

Any advice on pursuing this with Airbnb please? I really want the review deleted. Just as much about the principal of her dishonesty as the score rating…

And side note - If you’re going to side with the guest about her not people able to use the keypad, kindly refrain from responding to this thread. I don’t think we should have to make allowances, loss of income or superhost status because some people simply cannot or will not follow basic instructions! They are supposed to be adults after all!

1 Like