Exhausting checkin

omg, I’d steal that. But the reason I never told my guests true about airbnb ratings is I’m sure they will decide I’m lying just because I wanna get “5”.

2 Likes

That’s why it’s important to word things as simply information, that the guest can do with what they like, rather than sounding like you are pushing them to give you a 5* review.

If you are stressed about your ratings, that is much harder to do, as your anxiety about it would probably influence how you spoke about it.

I don’t think the majority of guests give a rat’s ass whether a place has a 4.9 or 4.5 rating. They are mostly first looking at price and location and suitability for their needs. And I’ve had guests tell me they don’t put stock in the ratings, because there are too many places with 5* ratings, so it doesn’t seem believable.

1 Like

I’ve had another one and hoping someone can advise whether they think there’s any point in me continuing my complaint to Airbnb…

This guest requested check in at 10am, didn’t show up until 8:30pm. I offer a self check in with keys collected from a KeyNest store 2 mins away. To enter the building there is a keypad at the door. I have very clear check in instructions, including troublshooting steps (for people that don’t follow the instructions correctly first time!) as well as photos uploaded.
I also reiterate the basics of the code entry in the message thread, as I’ve learnt that many guests don’t know where to find the ‘check in instructions’ on the app. Despite my advising them where they can be found…
I rent 3 flats in this building and the instructions have been working well for the last Few months (I’m continually updating them, following certain guests with their particular issues…)
2 other guests and my cleaner had checked in earlier that day with no issues at all, so I knew that there was no issue with the panel when this guest contacted me saying that the code entry system ‘wasn’t working’.
I was in Mexico in a taxi, with wobbly service, but replied to her within 2 mins to ask if she had found the check in instructions to follow
‘I’ve followed them but it’s still telling me I need a tenant code’
Me: ‘then please press X to clear the screen and start again’ (as explained in the instructions)
Guest: ‘I’ve followed the instructions and it’s not working’
Me: ‘then I’m afraid you must not be doing it correctly. Please press X again then it will ask you for the password’…I won’t bore you further with the rest of the instructions I sent her
Guest: ‘I managed to get through the first door with a neighbour but now I’m having the same issue at the 2nd door’
This made me certain that she was the issue, not the keypad!
I asked her to clear the screen and follow the instructions very slowly.
10 mins later she cancelled the reservation.
I messaged her to ask what had happened, as she had sent me no further messages nor had she called to ask for further help.
She stated she needed to get in and out of the building ‘safely’ (this building is in one of the most affluent and safe areas of London I may add) and as she couldn’t do so she’d decided to leave.
‘I didn’t feel I could ask for more help as you were just telling me I was doing it wrong’
Well, SHE WAS! I’m not going to tell her the keypad must be broken, when I know full well that it’s not!?
I advised I wouldn’t be able to refund her as she’d cancelled without discussion
Her next message said ‘all good, keys are returned to the store’
My cleaner went to the apartment the next day and the guest had been in! Used the washing machine, toilet and had a cup of tea!

Of course, 2 days later she contacts AirBnb requesting a full refund. On the basis that she couldn’t lock the apartment door!? Yet she told me she hadn’t been able to get in!
So which is it? Make your mind up!

I advised this wouldn’t be possible because she’d made the decision without discussion. That I knew there was no issue with the entry system or the locking of the apartment door, as my cleaner was there and had confirmed it.
However, had she told me she wanted to cancel I would have got on the phone or (albeit reluctantly) sent a friend over to show her how to work the keypad. But she didn’t give me the opportunity.
So what followed… the 1* review. Stating that access to the listing wasn’t possible!
So she fully lied to both me and Airbnb.
And yet customer services are saying that her review states her experience and doesn’t violate any policies so they won’t take it down!!

What about host to guest or Airbnb policies about honesty of a situation?
It’s clear to me this guest just didn’t need to stay anymore (where else did she just happen to find to stay at 8:30pm on a Saturday night in London, if she didn’t already have somewhere to stay prior to this debacle)

I’ve spoken to 3 advisors on the phone. A manager just messaged me saying their decision is final and closed out the ticket without letting me reply.

Meanwhile my listing has dropped from 4.86 to 4.64 and, despite my giving her 2 and 3* in my review her score remains at 5!?
I don’t fully understand why listing scores drop so drastically from one poor review, yet guest scores don’t?

Any advice on pursuing this with Airbnb please? I really want the review deleted. Just as much about the principal of her dishonesty as the score rating…

And side note - If you’re going to side with the guest about her not people able to use the keypad, kindly refrain from responding to this thread. I don’t think we should have to make allowances, loss of income or superhost status because some people simply cannot or will not follow basic instructions! They are supposed to be adults after all!

1 Like

I am totally on your side. Sometimes I just can’t understand how all these people reaching their years lol.

1 Like

Host reviews are weighted, guest reviews are not.
Reviews are the stick that Airbnb uses to beat the hosts

4 Likes

What in the name of …?! Sure, they should be, but plenty of guests do not rate honestly. For a recent example:

Knowing @dpfromva from this forum and having seen pictures and reviews of her listing, I would bet anything that the guest was lying with all these complaints.

2 Likes

Yes yes yes!

My sarcasm was not seen!!! I have added ‘this is sarcasm’ to my comment. Sorry for any confusion.

2 Likes

That’s what emojis are for. Like a winking one. Sarcasm is easily misunderstood online.

thank you I get it. Emojis deployed…

2 Likes

@Goingmad Yes, the guest was obviously a scammer, and what I would have concentrated on with Airbnb was that it was evident that she used the place (did your cleaner take photos?), while claiming she couldn’t get in, not that she didn’t discuss before cancelling. There’s no rule that a guest has to discuss a cancellation with the host.
You can’t confuse Airbnb with too many angles, you need to choose the most egregious one.

I think a much better system for you, if you are not going to be around, is to have someone to co-host for you, rather than “I could have called a friend”. And I don’t quite understand why you didn’t call the friend anyway when she claimed she couldn’t get in.

Not trying to blame the victim here, just suggesting how it could have been handled differently for the future, to result in a different outcome.

Thanks for the response. I think you’re right about picking one angle with Airbnb!
However, The guest admitted to them that she had gone in to the property. That’s why she told them her issue was with locking the door.
They don’t seem to care or even look in to what she said to me in the thread about not being able to enter the property.
They say that she’s eligible to review as she was able to check in (even though she tells me she wasn’t!)
This is what I mean about them not seeming to have a policy against dishonesty in general, not only in regards to reviews.

What I probably should have mentioned is that I’m a full time host and co host for other people. However, I can’t be expected to work 24/7.

I manage up to 20 properties, all private - none homeshare.
I can’t possibly be present at every single check in (when most people don’t arrive anywhere near on time) and 9/10 self check in works best for everyone involved.
I didn’t call a friend to go and help because I responded to the guest with clear instructions within 5 minutes. She then didn’t reply and cancelled the reservation only 10 mins later!
Usually once I send instructions and don’t hear anything back it’s because the guest has then worked it out. I can’t possibly run over / send someone else to do so every time a guest has an issue with anything!

Do you really think I should have sent someone over as soon as she sent a message saying she couldn’t get the keypad to work? It’s something that can usually be solved over message very quickly.
I don’t live 2 minutes away from each of the 20 properties I manage and even if I did, I don’t think hosts should get in the habit of dropping everything to attend to their guest’s every need, do you?

2 Likes

Also, to add - I didn’t say anything to Airbnb about her not discussing with me before cancelling, other than in relation to the refund.
Where I do think that is relevant.

In relation to the review I know that the cancellation is not the relevant point and haven’t brought this in to discussion with Airbnb. My point them about this has been about her being dishonest and her review being factually incorrect. I think you’re right though that I should just continue with the angle of her dishonesty. Though so far they don’t seem to listen and just keep repeating the fact that her review doesn’t violate their reviewing policies :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Sorry for my comment here, but it is folks like you that have made MY airbnb more attractive and has made airbnb the cause for a lot of negativity.

Hosting is not a 9-5 job. You need to step up your game and yes, you DO need to be available 24/7 - if not you then one of your staff - because problems do not happen always during ‘business hours’.

Yes. That is what we do for our airbnb.

4 Likes

Airbnb does not rule on honesty or dishonesty. In many cases, they would have no way of determining which party is telling the truth.
Did this conversation about entry issues take place on Airbnb messaging?

I still think it’s poor business practice to go out of town and not have other co-hosts on hand to deal with issues in your absence. How can you manage 20 listings long-distance?

I have to agree with Rolf - yes, someone needs to be available 24/7 to deal with urgent issues. This is why properties run by property managers with a dozen or more listings tend to get worse reviews than those run by hands-on hosts.

3 Likes

I block guests from sending messages if they engage in this behavior. I have only had to do that twice, I see no reason to endure this abuse.

1 Like

Not sure why you’ve decided to turn against me here. I was available. I responded to the guest within 5 minutes.
I do not expect to work 9-5. I never said that. But there’s a lot between 9-5 and 24/7.

1 Like

Yes, it all took place on Airbnb messenger.
I did not say I had gone out of town without leaving anyone on hand. I also never said anything about only wanting to work in business hours! I wasn’t born yesterday. I’ve been managing airbnbs for 12 years.

I said that I didn’t agree we should run over every time someone has an issue. Responding over messenger in the first instance should be, and usually is sufficient, isn’t it? Of course I go over when the issue is big and can’t be resolved in the first instance.
you seriously attend in person every time your guest has an issue? Not matter what time of day it is? And that doesn’t bother you at all?!

2 Likes

You never have anything in your life that takes priority over your one AirBnb and its guests?! Wow.

1 Like

I have a private room homeshare listing, so yes, I am available 24/7.

1 Like

Totally different ball game then.
It’s clear that ‘folk like me’ aren’t welcome here. I’ll take my moans elsewhere.

1 Like