Entitled guest demanding refund

No, the guest decided her fate when she cancelled.

Yes.

RR

1 Like

You’re right again Yana

1 Like

I ran and owned a resort in the South Pacific. Trip Advisor is great - as long as it’s going in your favor. But what I love about Air BnB is that you also can review the guest. And the guest reviews your property but it’s not posted until you review. So people are more careful at what they say. Not so on Trip Advisor. People are friggen nit picky. And - at least Air BnB qualifies the postings. You can’t just log on to Air Bnb, find a property, and blast them with a review. On Trip Advisor, we had a reviewer who had obviously never been to our resort. It was easy to tell - they posted photos of “staff” that weren’t our staff. They said they dived at our resort, yet we had no divers when they purported to stay. They said there was no fish on the menu and they had to “dig through our kitchen freezer for a freezer burnt piece.” We are literally in the middle of the South Pacific Ocean. There is a fish entre every single day. But despite this, TA wouldn’t take the posting down. And if you have competition that isn’t ethical, they can post as if they were guests. It dropped our rating (one poor rating drops it down, and it takes many more to build it back up.) So yeah, they can be a blessing when booking, but some of their policies are not so amazing. I’d take Air Bnb any day!

4 Likes

Weren’t restaurants fed up too, and you were made to make a deposit to make a dinner reservation?

I haven’t noticed people in Ireland still do that. I just say “Yes” if I’d like tea. It was considered polite to say No. Then “I wouldn’t want to put you out. Are you sure it’s no trouble? Well, only if you’re having one.” that sort of thing.
Magwitch, say, “Aww, go on, go on, go on.” to your friend (from Father Ted)
Yes, I wish people were more direct and honest (in a polite way)

Yeah, guilty of stereotyping - hold my hands up. But you know, old habits die hard and that instinct to be polite still exists. It’s not a bad thing. The English, on the other hand… best say no more.

I used to give refunds. Because I was a nice guy. Then nice guy started running in to thousands of dollars and wasted time. Not so nice anymore. That includes people who “replace” them. Because my time is also important, and I run on small margins.

1 Like

Thank you for explaining this so succinctly. I am saddened I can give your post but a single “like”.

2 Likes

I have a guest situation now who demands a refund in similar way. Saying she gets them other places, and how I’m not a good host. I dont’ like this approach and she is not in other place now she is in my place, or wanted to be except she cancelled. Her mind changing is not my mind changing. Thank you to not give any refund.

1 Like

Stick to your policy, tell the guest she can cancel with Air and they handle it, it is out of your control. I agree, not your problem.

RR

2 Likes

Update, I got a two day booking on my direct book website at a higher price and was able to refund the guest $490 of the $840

RR

3 Likes

A lot of people do in fact feel awkward when asked. I do for sure. And for that reason, I would never ask for a dicount either. I have just booked an air place in Australia for 2 weeks. With the exchange rate from South African Rand to Aus $, it is an expensive excersize. Even so, I did not mention in my message to the host that I am an air SH and would like a discount if possible.
I feel uncomfortable when someone asks me for discount as I dont give dicounts and it is not nice to have to say no. I most definately wont ever ask for any discounts either.
Not saying you are wrong, but realize, not all people like that kind of thing.:slight_smile:

I do realize that some people don’t like to say no …but don’t you think it’s their problem ?
I know for a fact that asking discounts is socially acceptable anywhere in a world .
I know but doing it I am not doing anything wrong or unethical. I know that noone will offer me discount voluntarily .
In many cultures it’s customary to up the price for the purpose of being able to discount it later .
As I remember without reading the whole post again the discussion was about " how dare they ask me for discount" . And I don’t think there is anything wrong with it

1 Like

I NEVER give their money back And if you don’t give it back Airbnb will buckle and they will give them a refund out of their back pocket, so let them! I used to be really nice when I First started Airbnb 4 years ago. Didn’t charge a cleaning fee, let them cancel, let them book for one night only sometimes would just hold the space when they were sure that they wanted it with no penalty. Since then I have learned a lot! I charge a cleaning fee and it’s a three day minimum I never hold a space for anybody ever. And I try to never give money back if I don’t have to. Didn’t charge a cleaning fee, let them cancel, let them book for one night only sometimes would just hold the space when they were sure that they wanted it with no penalty. Since then I have learned a lot! I charge a cleaning fee and it’s a three day minimum I never hold space for anybody ever. And I try to never give money back if I don’t have to. I never let a third person stay Even though my couch can turn into a queen mattress, I don’t need the extra work. I am even contemplating only allowing one person only to rent the guest house, when I don’t really need the money that’s what I may do.

2 Likes

I came to final decision to not rent to couples about 3 months ago when a couple was renting from me for 19 months.
Now it’s only one person. And the difference is huge . It’s much quieter. There is no talking between the two. Doors opening and closing fewer times and it’s definitely much cleaner.
Be sure If you accept only one person so not allow any visitors .
You will have fewer bookings though.
I had to sacrifice a bit of income but after 4.5 years I have to have peace and quiet here , can’t sacrifice comfort in my own home