Embarrassing dilemna with "friends"

Absolutely. You guys got me through my first year of hosting. I would have been lost without the good advice I’ve received here.

2 Likes

it IS a serious business.I spent one yr renovating a guesthouse before I put it on airbnb. I took a loan out.Finally my loan is pd off and I am making enough money off the little guest suite that it is paying my entire mortgage payment.I do allow family to stay, they usually give me some cash which is fine. I discourage my coworkers and other friends from staying there…I dont have time to entertain them when they are there…even if they are willing to pay;Im just too busy to shoot the breeze w most people.I do a 10 minute meet and greet w guest, showing them around and being friendly…and then I disappear for the rest of their stay and do periodic checks by text message asking if everything is ok and if they need anything etc…they actually appreciate the privacy I give them.I have a lovely garden view suite…I get a lot of lovebirds…:couplekiss:

1 Like

OK, folks, this is what I sent:

"Dear xxxxx

I have been agonising for the last week or so over how to write to you regarding your visit here. I feel that, completely without meaning to, I may have misled you about the basis of your stay. I have been trying my best to work things out so that you can enjoy a holiday here, which I know you really need and I want to make possible for you, while at the same time ensuring that we don’t lose much-needed income from our Airbnb business.

When I first suggested you might visit I was thinking in terms of a short visit of 3-4 days, or at the most a week - this is the sort of period the children and other close friends and family tend to stay during our season. So I was quite taken aback when you proposed two weeks. I absolutely know that I was at fault for not saying this straight away and I can’t apologise enough for not doing so. I intended to bring up the question of payment later, but I began to suspect from your last email that I might have given you the impression that we would not be expecting payment at all. While we would love to be able to offer you, and all our friends, free accommodation, we simply can’t afford to do that during our short season as renting out the apartment and suite is almost our only income apart from our pensions.

Dxxxx has suggested that if you want to book the apartment for the whole two weeks we would give you a deep discount on our usual rate of €75 per night and he suggests €55, which would amount to €770 for 14 nights. This would give you the security of knowing you have the place for the whole time, and you could pay us in sterling into our UK bank account at the mid-market rate (currently £587.00)

Our alternative suggestion is that we block off 4 nights for you (probably the first nights you are here) in the Apartment and this would be our gift to you. The remaining dates would stay open on our Airbnb calendar, and if they do not get booked, then you would be welcome to stay on without charge. If they are booked, we would try to accomodate you in the suite upstairs (large bedroom and sitting area with en-suite shower room but no kitchen). If that is also booked (which I know it is for 5 days in September) then we have one other guest bedroom you could use. The disadvantage of that to you is that you wouldn’t have your own kitchen but you could use ours. I don’t know what special provision you would need to make for (husband’s) meals but I’m sure
we could come to some arrangement.

I am so very sorry if this comes as a disappointment to you but I hope that the alternatives I have set out above will be helpful. We are certainly looking forward to welcoming you here and getting to know you better. Do take the time you need to decide what’s best for you - we will keep the dates blocked on the calendar until you are able to let us know."

I think we’ve done the best we can for them, having discussed it between ourselves and, of course, with the support from this group. Now we’ll wait and see what she says …

5 Likes

Hi, Kona, yes, I’ve met her in person a couple of times (she lives not far from my daughter) and we’ve had lunch and coffee, but I agree that hardly counts as a lifelong friendship! Interestingly, our very best friends, a couple we’ve known for fifteen years, always insist on paying something when they come to stay for a couple of days in the apartment, and when we refused to accept anything last time they bought ALL the food and wine for us all while they were here and took us out for a lovely dinner!

3 Likes

@Malagachica I think this is very generous and kind of you to make it seem like it was somehow your fault. If you get anything less than a kind and generous response in exchange then you don’t need this kind of person in your life. Can I be your friend? LOL. We can’t wait to hear her response.

That’s a really good deal; just over 25 euros a night each. Such a good deal for Malaga i’m sure!

and £537 for a two week holiday - so cheap! If a friend offered me that anywhere in Spain I’d be on the first flight… although two weeks in one place would do my head in haha.

… let us know what they say!!

@KKC,

Hey, I want to be @Malagachica’s friend too. Get in line!

3 Likes

I’ll patiently hop in the line too … haha x

1 Like

Hey guys, I’m certainly not going to be caught THAT way again … 20% surcharge for anyone who claims to be my friend in future! (Unless, as mentioned above, they have a small island …)

8 Likes

@Malagachica, well done. That takes the responsibility for not speaking up at the time, but also explains the surprise of the two weeks stay.

Do keep us posted!

So, it turns out there IS a Santa Claus, Virginia … and probably unicorns too …

Herewith the reply (relevant parts)

“Thank you for your email and I’m so sorry to have caused you worry and concern about this. No need for me to take time over this one - we will gladly accept your generous offer of a “deep discount” and book the apartment for 14 nights as you suggest. We are so looking forward to coming and have no problem with the cost. In truth we feel more comfortable being able to pay you. It will be good to meet David and get to know you both and I’m sure there’ll be time for a crossword or two”*

*We met on a Cryptic crossword forum!

I feel a great weight off my shoulders …All’s well that ends well! Happy hosting and thanks to you all!

14 Likes

Yay, yay, yay! Glad it worked out, and you will have a great time with the friends instead of feeling resentful.

2 Likes

This is well worded and I am soooo proud of you for writing it! That took some guts! And there is no way anyone with a heart could read this and not understand where you are coming from. But if she is offended she has the manners of a cow…Two weeks indeed!!! That’s pretty nervy to ask for in the first place. And wouldn’t most normal people enquire first to make sure that was ok with you before making flight plans?

EDITED… Just read her response… Very nice but why didn’t she mention payment to begin with? In truth I’d be a little bit resentful for having to resort to the deep discount during your busy season.

Anyway, lesson learned. Always be clear that a calendar cannot be blocked for a friend!

1 Like

Or an ocean side studio near premier snorkeling in Hawaii? LOL.

2 Likes

This forum is just awesome:heart_eyes:: we’re just started hosting and tomorrow we’ll have our FORTH guest:- but I’m always wiser reading this forum! (We won’t even take bookings on children’s holiday, only occasionally… we’ll see on the future how we’ll get use to this “sleeping with closed doors” etc.) Otherwise it has been nice to see people from other countries. And it has been especially wonderful to see how my usually shy children (we’re not at all English speaking), say “Hi” to the guests and try to help them the best they can.
But it’s always great to read how helpfully people answer here like for this @Malagachica -case.
I’m sure You’ll have a great stay with Your guest. And all the best to the whole forum!

6 Likes

Phew. Air cleared and both of you feel better. Well done for taking the bull by the horns - it takes courage and you did it well.

@Malagachica Your letter was so graceful, generous and warm. Feel proud! Im very happy the misunderstanding got solved. I am sure you must be a fantastic host, I wish you enjoy their stay.

2 Likes

Yay - all’s well that ends well - good job!

1 Like

That is a fantastic rate!! WOW. Please don’t tell our Friends and Family as our ‘deeply’ discounted rate is 100 Euros.

1 Like

Don’t worry, @azreala, it’s going up next season! You’re in Barcelona, aren’t you? I think that’s always more expensive than Andalucia (except for Marbella which seems to be in a world of its own!)

1 Like