Email from airbnb: Join a program that could get you more bookings

@morriss003 - Isn’t that what Google Maps is for? Do all of that planning for you, and give you the best way to get where you want to go, avoiding traffic or construction?

Yes, that’s what I use, but it’s less useful if I don’t know which street or which section of street. A recent example is a place in Den Haag. The street was given, but the street stretches for a couple of miles. There is a circle, but it was too large an area to pinpoint how far it was to Central Station. Was it a walkable distance or would I need to call Uber? It’s not a problem if you are in your 20’s or 30’s, but if you are approching 70 like me, you need that kind of info.

I have security cameras, a digital lock with changing code and the air room is separated from me so I feel personally safe. As you point out that isn’t an option for everyone.

The airbnb is in the center of the circle. Zoom in on the map and it will give you street names and in some places like New Zealand they will give you house numbers as well. Its cumbersome but it can give you a good idea of how far you are from various landmarks. There may be some places where hosts have requested that the map be altered to protect their privacy as one host on this forum did but it usually works.

I see no trouble with this. A lot of listings already have photos of the property, and the rough area, so not too hard to track down the exact place. In UK, estate agents add a ‘street view’ option to properties for sale, one click takes you to Googlemaps outside the house. If a seller wanted a bit more privacy and unticked that option, a potential burglar only has to phone up for a guided tour anyway. We’re all selling, whether it’s someone selling their entire home, or us, selling a small amount of time in it.
I don’t know why knowing an address makes it a security issue. Each street is full of addresses, and all available to browse as you cruise around in Google Streetview. A criminal doesn’t get inspired to break and enter because he sees a particular address online. They probably wouldn’t turn to Airbnb, in the hope that some hosts have taken up this new option, and they can see where you live and pics of beds and local restaurants.
Maybe if you have a special hidden house, you wouldn’t want a pic of it online, but not many of us have hidden houses. And if we did, we’re happy to let them out to people who have driving license and Facebook accounts, all year long.
Also, most people will be holidaying out of their own area, so most guests won’t be able to physically ‘kick the tyres’, as they’re miles and miles away. And we don’t like to rent to locals anyway! I don’t think I’ve ever visited a place to check it out before booking a holiday. There’s the review system for that!
Here’s a thing - if I were to put my home address here, would I become more likely to be burgled? No-one would know my security systems, when I’m home, how MASSIVE 2 of the lodgers are, and when they’re likely to be home.
81 Hangleton Road, Hove, East Sussex, BN3 7GH. What risk could I be at now? :sunglasses::rofl::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I can see that if you’re a vulnerable person, you might not want to publicise that you’re vulnerable, and what your address is (only applies to live-in hosts). But then consider if there’s anything about your listing that suggests you’re vulnerable…or don’t take the option of having your address included, and maybe don’t host! Most businesses have their addresses out in the open…but knowledge of address doesn’t give much power to criminals.
Also, if it’s let out as a whole unit, you tend not to leave too much treasure in it.

I think the ‘power of an address’ is overestimated. Using Googlemaps as an example again, you can zoom in anywhere and get a house address, and whether or not the occupant occasionally rent so out a room…so what? It doesn’t suddenly make them a target.