Electric Vehicle Fast Charging Station

This would depend on the size of the battery for each car. You probably aren’t far off for a partial charge.

I have almost no guests who arrive by car, but if I did, I wouldn’t be inclined to charge extra for charging an EV, I would just up my nightly price by a few bucks to balance out the extra electric usage. Yes, those without EVs would be paying a bit more per night, but it seems less of a hassle than charging the EV owners. Seems like it would lead to some guests “secretly” charging their EVs to avoid the extra fee, just like they sneak in extra guests or pets to avoid extra fees.

The thing is, hosts already have varying utility usage for different guests- some are environmentally aware and conservative with utilities, others blast the AC or heat with the windows open and leave it on all day when they aren’t home. Some take 20 minute hot showers and others are 5 minute shower folks. You just have to average it out and set nightly rates to cover it.

And I may be wrong, but I would hazard a guess that in general, those who have chosen to drive an EV are probably in the more environmentally aware camp and their charging costs may be balanced out by not being the kind of guests who blast the AC all day with the windows open when it’s 70 degrees out.

If it cost $20/night to charge an EV, an extra fee might be warranted, but it doesn’t cost anywhere near that much in most areas.

1 Like

Thank you for showing this forum how AI can turn a host-specific request for information into a generalized response created by ChatGPT. In what way is this helpful to this forum?

1 Like

In the US, the average cost of a KWh is around $.13. If you take the average car battery, let’s say 50Kwh, then it’s simple multiplication.
50*.13=$6.5 for a full charge. Some vehicles have a bigger battery and peak pricing for electricity can be double that cost. It will add up eventually for owners as EVs become the norm.