Efficient Linen Storage

I am looking for some advise on the best way to store sheets/doona covers and pillow cases that aren’t in use.

Our home linen cupboard became very full very quickly, so we put two chests of drawers in the airbnb and have been using it to store clean linen. We have been leaving bare doonas and pillows on any beds not in use or people’s stays. (We can sleep 8 people, but when the booking in for 2, we make up either a double or two singles as requested).

However, we’ve recently had guests use absurd amounts of linen. I don’t mind if they grab a few extra towels, or tea towels. In fact I show guests where we keep them. But we had a group of four use (or maybe just pull out of the drawers) 4 extra top sheets, 4 extra towels, and a few pillow cases. It was a two night stay…

We’ve also had people invite extra guests without telling us and sleep without linen on the beds!!! using the doonas and pillows. Gross for them, us, and future guests!

I don’t really want to move the storage into our home. It takes up a lot of space in a small house, and is inconvenient when we have someone helping with the cleaning, or if I need to access linens while my toddler is having a nap.

Do people have a locked cupboard or area in their airbnbs? Or do you think guests would find that unwelcoming? Or whats the best way to storage system if we have it in our space? Do you use shelves, timber drawers, those wire drawers? Looking for space efficiency!

Yep - locked steel office cabinet in the laundry - very efficient - washed folded and straight to the cabinet.

7 Likes

Put folded duvet covers etc inside the matching pillowcase. If you’re not using them for a while put them in vacuum bags. Store in underbed drawers if you’re short on space for a linen cupboard.

4 Likes

I have a closets with extra linens for the guests but I also have a locked closet for the extra bedding, towels, supplies, etc.

2 Likes

I have a locked wardrobe. However one of the bed frames is due to a renewal so I was thinking to get one of those beds that open on top and there’s storage underneath. Saves space and its hidden from guests.

6 Likes

Unless its a lockable box/container, never leave linens where guests stay, and never leave multiple beds made up if guests are only intended to use some beds but not all. They will use them…

4 Likes

We’re fortunate in that our apartment has a full basement that is not available to guests. I have set up a whole store down there for turnover cleanings- shelves hold TP, Paper Towels and extra cleaning products. Labeled laundry baskets hold the clean linens and towels. I only put the extras that might be required for a stay upstairs and check on the guests staying longer than 2 nights as to what linens they might have run short on.

2 Likes

If they’re sneaking in extra guests, you need at least a doorbell camera!

I keep extra sheets, towels, pillowcases in plastic tubs in what used to be a coat closet in the hallway, and it’s locked. I can fold them right into the tubs in the basement laundry for chugging them up the 2 flights to the flat. I tell them to ask if they need extras.

4 Likes

Yes, get cameras so they can’t sneak in guests and a locked closet for storing extra linens. I have a lock on my closet but now I seldom lock it. I just host one room with a max of two people and no one uses excess or steals anything so I’ve gotten lax.

2 Likes

Thanks Deb, I think I need to get one of these!

1 Like

Do you pack up all the doonas and pillows then? They’re so bulk they’d fill our cupboards leaving no room for the actual linens!

We’ve avoided the Camera issue as we live right next door, so we always see the guests and get extra money. It’s just that occasionally we see them in the morning so they’ve already slept on the couch/on a pillow with no cover…

Does the doorbell camera alert you when someone enters?

1 Like

Most security doorbells, like Ring, are motion-sensor’d. Not only does the chime ring, but video is also stored for review later and /or proof of extra guests.

2 Likes

We have a locking cabinet that takes up about half of the coat closet. It’s locked with a simple combination lock. We keep all sorts of supplies and one extra set of bed linens in it.

A locked owner’s closet or cupboard.

I’ve found it very helpful to keep at least one change of sheets available for guests (one for each size bed I have). It makes it nicer for everyone if a kid wets the bed or what-have-you and they don’t need to call you at 2am.

Would you consider leaving a note on the unpaid/unmade beds? I’d leave something like “Based on reserving party size we left this bed unmade. For your convenience we offer one additional complimentary set of sheets in the dresser. If your party size has changed or you need more than one extra set please message me to arrange payment.”

I’d leave the other linens in the dresser along with a similar note that they’re welcome to use ONE additional set, but each set thereafter is charged at $10 (or whatever)

If you find that isn’t enough of a deterrent then you’ll need to lock up your sheets.

So far as the extra guests, I second a doorbell or outdoor camera. Outside of the lag issues, I can’t say enough nice things about the Ring doorbell. For good guests it’s an easy way for them to ask for help. For bad guests it’s a great way to catch wrongdoing on video - I’ve caught 2 sneaky guests this way.

2 Likes

Allison I have a Ring Pro as of this summer and the software seems different recently. The lag issues are fixed for me. The Pro needs to be direct wired but it you can swing that it’s a big improvement. I was really frustrated with my old Ring.

Thanks so much for your question! After almost 7 years of being an Airbnb host I have still struggled with the issue of what to do with the MANY linens used for our 6 airbnb destinations (our big has home many private entrances… our 12 kids and two grandma’s lived with us in the good old days!) These responses have been so helpful. The idea of a separate, locked linen closet in the laundry room is brilliant as are many of the additional ideas. So grateful.

1 Like

Yes a guest is unlikely to lift an Ottoman bed to use more linen!

For extra bedding I am hoping to get or build a high cabinet ( probably locking) to have in the shipping container which is around the corner from the trailer, but well away from where anybody will be searching. The house is just too far away, and storage is small there.