Dramatic drop in bookings in September

Looks like a nice place. But the pictures could use some work. The first (lead) photo looks a little fuzzy. Or is it just me?

That will be a bit hard to change since I am in Sweden hehe. When the time comes I will bring a professional to shoot some better pictures.

Did you notice that in one review his Greek Mamma (grandmother) offered the guest home made treats?!

Yes, I love this listing :slight_smile:

Nice bit of sarcasm, @Robert_Dudley. You forgot to be sarcastic about IB, though.

I agree with @Kostas_Mandilaris that his rates are already low. Itā€™s cheaper than mine. No cleaning charge or extra guest charge. And I doubt Greece is cheaper than India. I donā€™t know if this price is typical of the area, but it looks like a bargain to me. I donā€™t see any room to move the price downwards.

Kostas, did you write a separate listing in English? The one on the India site is in English, but doesnā€™t look like a translation. Airbnb has never asked me about writing listings in other languages. Then again, I donā€™t want people who donā€™t speak English turning up here. Hmm, a topic for another thread?

Iā€™m not sure about

Me or my parents are available 24/7 to help you with all your needs.

though. :slight_smile: There is such a thing as being too available.

1 Like

The first thing to do is start working on that listing.

Throwing a bunch of phone snapshots on AirBnB works during the newbie boost. Later your listing needs to be a lot better to get some hits.

And to be honest, your main picture is far from attractive. Its is a fuzzy cluttered (not even upright) image, of some rooftops and a big antenna. What should this tell the guest about your place?

Get a friend with some photography skills, and a friend with some decorating skills and start making some good pictures. Its the opening picture that will get you the page hits, after that the description and other pictures should make them book.

Im with @dcmoone, picture #11 is the best. But even this one could do with some extra styling.

1 Like

@Kostas_Mandilaris,

I agree with Chris that the photos need some work. One obvious thing is that they mostly taken far too close - 6,7,8,9, 10. Try some wider shots. And I think 2, the terrace rooftop view, looks quite good, but I also think you can do better. Try a similar shot in different lighting. Sunrise, perhaps? Iā€™d experiment a little bit.

Also, check where Airbnb is currently placing your listing. You may be unpleasantly surprised. Like @jaquo and others have suggested, try doing some social media marketing stuff if you have the time.

I doubt your pricing is the problem. It actually looks like a really good deal. I wouldnā€™t take it lower.

Heard that one before about too much availability :slight_smile: Worked wonders so far though. The listing was written in English. 99% of Greeks can speak decent english and all the listings in the area area actually written in English. Regarding the cost, i think it is pretty cheap yes.

@Chris you are definitely right, but at the moment it is a bit impossible to do so for some personal reasons. However it is a matter that i will attend to as soon as i can.

I think i have figured out a problem. So, my village is called Thouria. It is about 10 minutes from kalamata. I did a quick search on ā€œkalamataā€ in airbnb and all the listings that appeared were inside the city. Only when i zoomed out and redid search my listing showed up (as in redo area scan). I have no clue how to bypass this. So for now promotion and working on photos and my listing should do. After all i got 8/8 5 stars so far, people that will search a bit more will see that.

Thanks everyone for your help!

1 Like

Have you considered asking AirBNB to change your address to Thouria, Kalamata, Greece? According to Wikipedia, Thouria has been part of the municipality of Greece since 2001. Maybe you could pretend to be giving them a geography lesson?

1 Like

The listing appears all in Greek to me. :confused:

1 Like

There is no way to bypass this.
The only ways is to get a higher ranking. And this takes time.

So the main picture is most important, look at all the others in the search, and make sure yours is different and stands out.

Kostas, September is slow everywhere . Kids start school, vacation is over. We have another small business and September is the slowest months there also.
Itā€™s time to give discounts and may be rent not by day but longer terms like weekly.
I am in South Florida and we have 8 months here of slow season . When I just started with Air, In September I only rented one week with one of the rooms and couple occasional days and made verity little.
This year I switched to renting weekly minimum only and made 4 times more. But I had to give weekly rates.
There are people who are relocated fir work or those who look for temporary housing until they find a permanent place to live. Just another option

That was not my experience at all that 99% speaks English in Greece, actually quite the opposite. I had an impression that only 1% speaks English. That was 4 years ago.
Everywhere I went I could not communicate at all with people even restaurants

I find that very interesting. I live in a touristic area and everyone speaks at least english and a lot speak german as well. Well, anyways!

I only was in Athens and Santorini. Only tour guides spoke English. My childhood friend lives there and she and her friends and many many relatives donā€™t speak a word of English, even really young people

It is sad to hear. I speak 6 languages and i wish i spoke 6 more. Yet i walk dogs for a living. Positive thinking!

1 Like

i speak 5, I think people like you and me are just good with languages. Many have difficulties learning foreign language, and especially when they dont have too, like English speakers

1 Like

@Kostas_Mandilaris - any improvement in bookings?

I had 22 days vacant in August, 10 so far in September, compared to last year, August had 9 days vacant, September had 10 for the whole month. Had my first November booking yesterday.

1 Like