Double bed, single occupancy...how many pillows?

I don’t think that they’re double beds, most likely they’re queen size, but the purpose of the pictures was to illustrate placement of three pillows.

I don’t know about Americans, but most Canadians I know use duvets. The difference is, we usually also use a top sheet under them.

What you are referring to as a King size bed might be what is called a Queen in North America. What we call a double is way narrower than a King here. What we call a double is 137 cm wide, a Queen is 152.4, and a standard King is 183 cm wide.
Our singles and doubles are 190.5 cm long, and Queens and Kings are 203 cm.

1 Like

yes, this might be why ABB hasn’t yet put in a filter for a King bed, because there’s no global standard. Even on BDC they don’t list king beds, it’s always “extra large double bed”

1 Like

Yeah, it would be very problematic, for an international platform to list bed size names. The average person has no idea how much it varies from country to country. For instance here in Mexico “Queen” is 4 inches narrower than an American Queen and is the same length as a single or double.

It would just be one more thing for guests to complain wasn’t accurate.

However, it’s never a bad idea to list your bed sizes, as long as you give the dimensions, not just the name. Americans probably wouldn’t have an issue just listing the name of the size-they probably have the biggest bed sizes of anywhere. It’s when someone finds what they know as a Queen advertised as a King that would be problematic.

1 Like

Yes I put my king bed in the listing title. :wink:

1 Like

Aussie beds sizes do correspond with American bed sizes, so you’re good to go and won’t have any complaints from Americans.:wink:

1 Like

isn’t there something called a “californian king”?
there are even minor size differences between doonas here. we have super king doonas x3 (different brands) and they aren’t the same.

1 Like

Yes, a California King is 4 inches narrower than a standard King, but also 4 inches longer. It’s designed for taller people.
In any case, an entire Vietnamese family could comfortably sleep on the giant beds a lot of folks seem to find necessary for two people. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yes different where you are isn’t it. For me though my kings are only a tad larger than my doubles

1 Like

‘I’m curious as to why you don’t want couples?’

Less people in the house.
Never feels crowded. Max in the house is now six including myself, if I allowed couples it could be up to ten people. It’s also always really peaceful with single people only. It seems like the house is empty most of the time! It doesn’t tend to be so much like that when there are couples. There’s also just no reason to have couples since I’m 96% full as is, other than perhaps an extra £10 per night … not insignificant if all rooms coupled up all the time but the whole vibe would be different and busier, more waiting for the bathroom, more busy in the kitchen (which is usually empty as it is)

4 Likes

Plus with couples you might have loud sex noises that would keep everyone awake at night. Also couples might argue, creating a negative vibe in the home and disturbing the household.

3 Likes

In a homeshare situation, hosting solo guests is a completely different vibe from hosting a couple.

For me, it’s not so much “too many people around”, as it is the difference in behavior. A couple will tend to keep to themselves (which some homeshare hosts might actually prefer), maybe stay holed up in their room most of the time, as they have each other to relate to (and yes, may have audible sex, which even when the host isn’t the least bit prudish, can be uncomfortable to have to listen to). They may come and go with the bare minimum of friendliness towards the host, which can also be uncomfortable.

I love hosting solo str travelers. (Hosting them long term may be a different story- those aren’t travelers, they are more like roommates) They tend to be self-sufficient as far as not needing everything to be explained to them, they tend to have good social skills (travelling on your own means you can’t be shy about interacting with strangers), they seem to have a good sense of boundaries, picking up on how much is too much wanting to socialize or make easy in passing conversation with the host, and how much is too little. They tend to be quiet. They use less amenities and they make less of a mess. If the host shares their kitchen with guests, as I do, a single person tends not to spend tons of time preparing elaborate meals, as a couple might do. Their food takes up less room in the fridge.

And for me, as a single person, it somehow feels more comfortable to have other singles around (they might not be single, as in not in a relationship, but they are travelling on their own).
It’s like going to a party where everyone is a couple but you. Unless they are all really close friends, you just feel like the odd one out, even if you like being single.

1 Like

I feel the same. We have 4 apts and we live in one of them. And we want peace and quiet. The smallest apt, only a studio, is the airbnb and I allow couples (though I encourage singles) because they’re not staying more than 7-10 days usually and are typically out and about.

However, we do monthly rentals in both of our 2-bedroom apartments and have been able to keep them with just one person in each for the last couple of years. I can’t make it an official rule per se because of Fair Housing laws in the US but it is a “rule” nonetheless :wink:

1 Like

If this was my cousin or an old college friend staying for free as my personal guest, he/she would get one pillow for a start, and – before bed – I would ask “Is one enough? I can get another one from the cupboard.” and get them another one or two if they want.

Paying Airbnb guests: always four waiting for them when they arrive.

1 Like

I put 5 on the queen beds, 4 on the full/double beds and two extra in the living room closet (in case someone wants to snooze on the couch or wants a different one).

Towels and pillowcases are both low-cost but high-comfort items. Skimping on them costs you more than you can save.

2 Likes

my hubby is 6’2" and not a slight man, we had to share a queen bad last week and for some reason it felt so cramped in the bed. But in our king bed we seem to have so much space, which is lovely. It depends on how people sleep i guess. I’m a very “still” sleeper, but husband likes to sleep diagonally, with many pillows, and constantly fluffs the doona all night long. I notice this restless style of sleeping less in a larger bed.

1 Like

My husband and my dog! Both of them stretching out, turning back and forth, getting in and out of the covers and snoring (they do a bit of call and response snoring most nights, lol).

I’m also a still sleeper. On my 7 inches on the edge of the bed with one foot hanging over. :rofl: If it wasn’t a king size, I’d be on the floor.

2 Likes

PREACH!! when we slept in the Queen bed I still occupied my allocated 10% of the bed, but we were on opposite sides to my normal situation, so i had to sleep facing inwards, and he was literally breathing into my face for most of the night. And we had a fireplace in the bedroom (yes, yes, how marvellous and boujie) but it got way too hot. So for those of us who usually occupy a King bed, a Queen bed can (embarrassingly #firstworldproblems) result in a terrible night’s sleep. And this is why my luxe listings need to have a King bed.

2 Likes