Don't Reply to Spite Reviews - Discuss

Recent guests for our floral festival.
Guest review- there are not enough bathrooms!
There are exactly the number of bathrooms listed in the description…….
I am suspicious that this was a tour group booking and they were sold something that wasn’t as described, and they didn’t speak English
Really unfair and very much over entitled guest that don’t read!
I am not a hotel!

2 Likes

ugh, that’s awful Deb.
but I hope you replied with that: There are exactly the number of bathrooms listed in the description…….

1 Like

Unless the guest has complained about things like this during a stay, it’s sometimes hard to know if those kinds of statements in a review are complaints, or they are just pointing out things they think other guests should be aware of and not make assumptions about. Of course, if all guests bothered to read the listing info, that would be entirely unnecessary.

As long as it wasn’t a complaint they marked you down on, those “Duh, it’s clear in the listing info” comments aren’t bad- at least maybe they ward off future guests who expect to cook a 3 course meal,or whatever.

The gate- hilarious and astounding that people can’t take stock of a situation and figure it out. Hard to believe it’s just a farm gate they can’t figure out, though. Probably anything unfamiliar.

oh she did mark me down.
4 for accuracy
4 overall
5 for everything else

she also asked during her stay about a kitchen, and we said no, as per the listing description there’s a kitchenette but if she’d like to access our farmhouse kitchen that would be fine. She said thanks, and then on the day cancelled that idea and they went out.

she didn’t even need the kitchen in the end, but still gave me a low review. I’m still fuming over it because i’m sure she has no clue of what’s she done. that listing is now at 4.86.

Ugh. It’s just bizarre that people ask for things they don’t even care about and then fault you for it.

1 Like

should I even bother responding to this? they put the public review in the private review spot.

and the current group in the house have already complained that it was “hot” (it was 27º when they arrived, this is NOT hot by Aussie standards) and now the temps have dropped down to 20º so they’ll probably complain that it’s “cold”. Their old parents can’t operate the TV, and who knows what other complaints they have, as the husband is not at all friendly. I had a bad feeling from the start but of course, we aren’t allowed to have stereotypes, even though every time I have a group like this they are a pita, leave a mess and a low review.

I’m certainly not going to encourage a review from them.

1 Like

Why respond, it’s a good review? (I don’t get how people manage to put the pruvate feedback in the public review. Maybe it’s an Airbnb glitch?)

that review is in the private notes to me only. I’ve had this happen before, when the guest is confused by the process and writes a private comment in the public review

Yeah, I see that happen a surprising amount, the private and public feedback the wrong way round.
It’s galling when it’s a long lovely review that no one will see.

1 Like

Someone checked out after smoking a serious amount of marijuana in my “Plus” unit with some one coming in that day. I was so shocked and we scrambled to spray and clean. I did confront him on no smoking and he denied anyone having used anything! I called Airbnb to ask how I should deal with the situation as I had called the guest on the violation. The Airbnb employee said The guest quickly had given us a glowing review minus a point or two probably as he had been caught! . The Airbnb staff was willing to read me the review which gave me some relief. The people coming in smelled something and I switched out the waste basket as that I had sprayed and rinsed it but the liner did not disguise the disgusting smell. I researched that people smoke in bathrooms as the steam takes away particles! I have been a host for going on 7 years. I’m almost 75 and my son is my partner. He is much more forgiving but ready for a rebuttal if it’s called for. I have 860+ reviews and never know what will happen next. I’m grateful for my son being more compassionate to peoples over-sites. I’m just hoping I can keep cleaning, laundry and work gardens once they come back from being buried in snow. What I do know is that this is worth every crazy thing that has happened. The majority of people are great BUT everyone is different.

1 Like

I don’t remember which forum I saw this in —there is an ongoing glitch with the guest Airbnb review system. Supposedly Customer Service Reps are aware. The public & private reviews get switched. It may be worth notifying Airbnb to see if they can flip them.

I prefer contacting Airbnb via Twitter @airbnbhelp so all is in writing & you can attach pictures & screenshots

1 Like

I think you’re a nightmare. Kinda half glass empty host. Why would ya call AirBnB in advance of an issue? Deal with it… it’s your property and your Guest.

AirBnB expects us to manage our interactions with hosts. I do. There are far too many hosts who believe AirBnB is your HR department. As a retired HR Director I will assure you they are not skilled in this space. Silly people

My suggestion is, gain skill in the hospitality field ( not just income) and learn how to communicate with guests. AirBnB is your marketing platform the fact that they do anything else is gracious.

BTW, I have three properties and only in the biz since 2018 and a SuperHost since 2019.If you’re a great host you would never even need to post this question. Think about that… :slight_smile:

I hope your day improves @Elyse

3 Likes

Do you work for AirBnB? They try to tell me they are “just a marketing platform”. But MY money is in THEIR control when they decide to give a guest a 50% refund for no Wi-Fi for a few hours, or for seeing an insect. That’s far more than a “marketing” platform.

6 Likes

Wow, flop out a superior attitude much?
(BTW, being a Superhost since 2019 is no big deal, and doesn’t mean one is any better a host than someone who doesn’t have that status- it’s easy to get and easy to lose, all you need is one nasty guest who leaves a 1* review and tanks your rating)

And Airbnb isn’t being “gracious” in doing more than listing one’s property, considering they lure new hosts in with promises of being covered for damages, and how users can expect to be supported if anything goes awry. While they only charge hosts 3%, they make billions off guest fees, and there wouldn’t be any guests without hosts.

6 Likes

I‘m a superhost with 800+ Reviews… if you decide to stay away because of the handful of 1 Stars I got and did not reply to… potential nightmare guest avoided… :+1:

4 Likes

Totally valid, i’m not saying i read a bad review and believe it and hence don’t buy/book. I did note ‘before the good ones’, suggesting, I’d have assumed, that a reasonable assessment would be made based on all reviews. A response would help that assessment. If that classes me as a potential nightmare guest to you that’s of course your prerogative. To my mind a pretty unreasonable one.

2 Likes

Opps. When someone asks for advice or help or opinion, name calling is not helpful.

You suggest the OP improve her skills but no advice on tools or methods -again not helpful.

Btw I’ve been a superhost with multiple properties since 2015(?-guess because I joined in 2014; when did SH start?) and I am one of the newer hosts in this group.

I like this group. Some communication can be harsh but most of that is offset by the offering of advice & support by that same person.

Please give yourself a do-over.

2 Likes

@martinp
(Highlight problems again)

I agree a reasonable person would look at all reviews & make a decision. Unfortunately many People aren’t reasonable. I got a bad review a few years ago & my bookings dropped until it was buried. Even with 100s of good reviews occasionally someone asks me about THAT one.

1 Like