Dogs are more important than paying guests

It does sound absurd to have to be that cautious in your description; perhaps no need to spell it that bluntly, maybe you have to. The rule of thumb should be that whatever we do and say in hosting it must address the ‘least-common denominator’ (i.e. the dumbest of the lot) and thus we have everyone else covered.

1 Like

I have parrots and free-range backyard chickens, and say so several times in my listing. I don’t tell guests to stay elsewhere if they don’t like birds, but instead say, “seeking bird-loving travelers” in the first line. I include a picture of the chickens and their coop in my listing since guests interact with them. I don’t include a picture of the parrots because they are in a separate part of the house, and I bring the friendliest parrot downstairs if guests have an interest in meeting one, but most don’t ask. I think I’ve scared most guests off who don’t like birds (I mention the parrots follow quiet hours but do squawk during meal-times), but I still occasionally get comments, “the parrots were louder than expected” or “note you’ll have to walk through the garden with your luggage, which is interesting with the chickens.” I just let these comments stand. I have a personal policy of not replying to reviews because I find doing so draws attention to a negative review and validates that the person has a legitimate complaint. Someone just looks silly if they were expecting quiet or a chicken-free backyard, and doesn’t warrant a reply. I also had one guest write, “entrance was hard to find,” but five more guests write, “entrance was easy to find,” so I just left the first guest look incompetent without giving it the legitimacy of a reply.

Though it annoys me more guests complain about having to walk through the garden (noted in the listing and shown in pictures), since I tell them how to enter through the paved alley and driveway, and only one guest ever has, but I still don’t comment on the reviews because I’ve given up on this battle. Alleys must not be common elsewhere, or once I verbally give them the option of moving their car to the back, they see it is easier to carry their luggage instead. I also offer to carry their luggage for them, but nobody wants to ask the pregnant lady to carry their bag for them for some reason! (It is only guests who self-check-in who complain about carrying luggage.)

Sorry for the tangent about gardens and replying to reviews!

3 Likes

I am from Texas. I don’t think that making an indictment against any particular state’s residents is helpful commentary. There may have been some honest confusion or maybe they really were jerks - that happens everywhere. I will use this as a lesson to make it very clear that I have two elderly dogs and my guests will pass through a common area where they reside to enter their private space when they arrive and depart. My dogs will always take priority over any guest but I will also ensure a separate, pet free space for my guests.

Have had similar. I clearly state I have a small well behaved dog, show picture, and mention this in my info sheet I send guests. Yet I have still been told by a guest that she was ‘unhappy there was a dog in the house’. Why should hosts be penalised with poor reviews because of totally unfounded ignorant people? I’ve even had one couple say they ‘never read profiles or info’ - they just select a place purely on what suits their earliest whim. They gave me some really hurtful comments, all that would have been avoided had they read my info.:astonished:

Just mention the cats a couple of times in the listing just to make sure they see it. As we all know, sometimes guests don’t read your entire listing until they’ve booked or, in many cases here at my place, until AFTER they’ve checked in.

All these doggies looks lovely. Well, Superhostess, I hope you will find some good paying guests who are dogs and cats lover.

1 Like

They’re lucky they got a refund.

If my current guests had shown up and said that, I’d definitely have ended the reservation, because it would never have had one iota of a chance of working out.

I would say " if you don’t like cats don’t book"

Imagine our situation. We’re a working sheep ranch on the Navajo nation. We raise pure Navajo Churro sheep, Angora goats, horses, chickens, and have 7 working dogs. We’ve both the Maremma Sheepdog and Great Pyrenees. The overwhelming majority of our guests love them. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just had this problem with a guest complaining about my cats. I listed it clearly in the listing and even past guests talked about our friendly kitten. She asked for a refund because of it, I said no…so mad too…she also had a party here without my consent!