Does it make sense? Covid - Superhost Appraisal For Jan-Mar

“Superhost as status symbol” went out the window a long time ago. In classic Machiavellian style, Airbnb extended (partial) JUSTICE to Superhosts while dolling out “let them it cake” to non-Superhosts. It was Air that separated hosts into the “Haves” and the “Have Nots” applying not even the least bit of logic and fairness. To your point, it’s scary out there, and it’s going to be “survival of the fittest” and as usual Air enjoys absolute power to deem which is which. Air has designed it so that those with no “badge” will suffer more than those who have lost theirs (again, often through Air’s human-free algorithms.) It sucks losing a status you worked hard for, but to your point, it’s just a made-up thing that they can giveth, and just as easily taketh away. Things like this are the building blocks of totalitarian rule. It’s hard to fathom that the mastermind of all this was ever a broke kid sleeping on the floor. I’m not saying he’s pulling wings off of flies, but his first pass toward hosts was about has heartless and oblivious as anyone could be. That’s a character flaw and that can’t be fixed. It’s also very telling that he has no minions around him that can make an appeal to at least consider doing the right thing-who knows? Maybe the want him hoist by his own petard?

2 Likes

Thanks for your good wishes. Both family members have asthma. I think our son (31) is simply having a reaction to moving back to the country, where we have more pollen.
He has self-quarrantined himself in the apartment we rent out on AirBnB. It is going on three weeks now and he will probably rejoin the family tomorrow.
He was laid off from his job at a movie theater, where on his final day of work he talked to around a hundred people as part of his job, so does not want to chance getting his wife and mom sick.

2 Likes

It seems to me that we are giving Airbnb and its superhost status way too much power. Even in “normal times,” Airbnb is not the only game in town. When my vacation rental was up and running prior to the current crisis, Airbnb was one of nine sites I advertised on, and it was by no means the site that generated the most bookings. I daresay I would not have noticed any dip in rentals if I were to drop Airbnb and just advertise on the other eight sites.

Regardless, Covid-19 has changed everything. When these lock downs are lifted, whenever that may be, I suspect that new and permanent rules will be adopted by our industry and practically every other industry as well. Thus, the superhost problem has become irrelevant at least for now, and perhaps it will fade away. I daresay when this whole crisis is over, the post-COVID-19 world will be at least slightly different in ways we cannot imagine now, just like this time last year we could not have imagined a crisis like the one we are faced with today.

3 Likes

@Nancy_Earley One thing that really makes Superhost such a farce is their maniacal rating system. So you’re a great host who answers all guest messages right away, never cancel reservations, get the required amount of guests, then one nasty guest can tank your whole rating with a lying, retaliatory 1* review, which Airbnb refuses to remove, because it’s “a reflection of the guest’s experience” . Even if a host has a perfect 5* rating and 100 rave reviews saying the place was spotlessly clean and the a-hole said it was filthy.
Hosts are so mortified about losing their Superhost status that they tiptoe around obnoxious guests and allow themselves to be taken advantage of in the hopes of avoiding a bad review. It’s horribly absurd.

5 Likes

Yep - been there done that!
She was a newly minted host and thought she could give me a crap review because I sprung her booking for one, but bringing 4.
Made her pay up and she squealed. I hope like hell that someone treats her and her listing like crap and see how much she enjoys it.

3 Likes

It’s not the only game for vacation rentals. What Airbnb did was make it easy and profitable for resident homeowners like me to offer a room in their home to travelers. In the US this was not a common model. If I hang a Zimmer Frei shingle out front I’m unlikely to get bookings. Of course we had bed and breakfasts which in my experience were all expensive as hell.

I’d love for Airbnb to be forced to downsize and go back to their roots and go back to “one host, one home.” In the cities where it contributes to the affordable housing crisis, I’d like to see it reined in.

It’s kind of fun to imagine the good things that could happen. We just have to get past the horrendous body count first.

4.8/5 or higher after 100 or more reviews in a home share is the stuff of hosts who walk on water.

It sounds like you somehow connected with an actual HUMAN who “processed” your situation, and treated you decently. I’ve had those moments to, but it scares me the power the customer service agents have, when they have your livelihood in their hands. From my own experience, when I’ve had a customer service agent “take my side” they make it clear that they are bucking the tide-that rewards are given professionally to those that avoid monetizing hosts, through exhausting run-arounds intended to simply wear them down. It’s like the insurance industry-claims adjusters who find ways to not pay out save the company money, and thereby move up in the ranks. Even on a recorded line, I’ve had naturally good agents be thoroughly candid with me about this. (The fish rots from the head but fins can steer themselves!)

Well, I hope I don’t jinx it by saying this, but I have had a little over 50 guests in 3 years (my guests stay on average 10 days and my viable booking season is only about 6 months), 48 of whom have left reviews, and I’ve maintained a 5* rating. We’ll see how it looks after another 50 guests. I’m not under any illusions that I couldn’t get one of “those” guests who tanks my rating. Seems to have little to do with one’s hosting prowess, but just the luck of the draw.

2 Likes

I’d say that occasionally allowing an late checkout, an extra guest, or overlooking minor rule-breaking will prevent some of the retaliatory reviews and choosing your battles is part of hosting prowess. But, you’re right, eventually you’ll get one of “those”

I’ve hosted about 800 guests and am now stuck at 596 reviews. I’ve never had one of “those” guests really. I had a 1 star given as a mistake. A 3 star I felt was deserved. A few 4 stars that the guest seemed perfectly happy only one 4 star I felt was somewhat retaliatory.

I think it’s a combination of being smart enough to find this forum and following it’s collective advice before a problem arose; having a small space and a lot of one night guests; hosting travelers, not tourists, as well as being flexible and choosing battles have all played a big part in my success.

Congratulations
Home share??

Talking to me? Yes, home share. And I only host solo guests. Because of the nature of my listing, I tend to get down-to-earth guests who have a good appreciation of home-sharing, and aren’t the entitled, fussy, complaining types.

1 Like