Hi @Burgundyfox, welcome to the forum.
For our BnB I have created, what I call, an information newspaper. It has the looks of a small newspaper (1 A3 size paper folded to A4, with an extra A4 inside) and it contains all information that I consider important for guests.
It contains the following:
- A welcome text where we put the guest’s names in handwriting.
- Places to visit and activities to do in our city.
- Tips for other places in the country.
- Restaurant recommendations.
- Practical stuff (laundry, money exchange, safety on the streets, what do do in case of an earthquake, public transport, taxis …)
- A map of the neighborhood
- Rules of the house
- A guide to AirBnB’s star rating
- Asking people to leave us a rating and/or provide us some word-of-mouth in the rest of their travels
People are generally very excited about my “newspaper”, because of how professional it looks and of course all the good information it contains. However I don’t know what professionals would think about it.
Since I am not a graphic designer, desktop publisher, copywriter or translator, it took me quite some time to get it done in two languages, but I thoroughly enjoyed the process. I made it in the free SCRIBUS software and it looks waaaaayyyy better than something made in WORD. I do not agree that a ring binder does the same thing, since it’s too hotel like for me and in my case would probably go untouched.
I think it does add to the guest’s experience if they see a professional layer to a very personal service.
Would I pay someone else for making the newspaper? Hmmmm, to be honest I doubt it. The biggest work was getting all the information and writing the texts in two languages. I don’t think you would be offering that service. Also, you would probably just have a few ‘templates’ to choose from, while I want to offer something original. Also, it would probably cost a lot for something that doesn’t directly make me any more money, at least short term: People only get to see it when they have already arrived to my place, unless they have a flexible itinerary it doesn’t make them stay more nights and it doesn’t allow me to ask more money per night. Guests can take the newspaper home as a souvenir, so long term we could get some extra guests because of it.
I also designed our own business cards (logo, layout,…).