Do you review guests all the time?

The challenge I have is I very rarey meet my guests because of the self-checkin process. So when I go to the property after all I can evaluate is how well they left the place. Luckily up to now most of my guests have left the apartment in a nice tidy state. The main difference is some people put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher and start it before they leave (which I do have in my house instructions) while a few just leave them piled in the sink or in the dishwasher without it turned on. That doesn’t seem like something I would make a big deal about. So it’s hard to differentiate and make a personal comment on each guest.

A few guests have moved furniture around and not put it back but once again that’s hardly worth commenting on because in a different property there may be no opportunity for the guests to do that because they’re in a single room and not an entire apartment.

@lchiu7 - to most of us it doesn’t matter that you haven’t met the guest because we don’t care whether they are nice people, or spoke good English or whatever else we can tell from meeting them.

What we need to know are the things that you can tell from the build up to the stay (communication and arrival), cleanliness, if the guests were quiet and if they checked out on time. Another great thing, for me anyway, is whether or not you’d host them again.

I always say in my summary if they would be welcome back. I guess that is the ultimate recommendation. If I don’t say it then I don’t want to host them again and that’s only happened twice in the past year

2 Likes

Do you also explain why? As you know, future hosts like to know the details if possible.

Even if you don’t meet most of your guests, you can still mention whether their communication was good, whether they left the place clean, whether they followed house rules (you can tell, for instance, if they’ve been smoking in a no-smoking listing, or tracked mud across the carpet when you had a no shoes in house rule). Those are the kind of things I want an idea about. I couldn’t care less if they left a few dirty dishes, or failed to press the start button on the dishwasher, or whether they rearranged the furniture to their liking, as long as they didn’t scratch up the floors and the walls in the process.
The kind of reviews I dislike are the ones that just say “Nice guests” or “All Good”, because that really doesn’t tell me anything.

OK here are two reviews I posted.

1. XXX and her party were great guests. Communication was clear and they left the apartment in a spotless condition. We met briefly and they seemed very nice people. Would welcome them back at any time.

2. XXX was a poor guest. He and his friends left the apartment in a very untidy state with trash littered everywhere and bottles of beer strewn all over the apartment. Dirty dishes were left on the table and they did not even go to the effort of leaving them in the sink or as most guests do, place them in the dishwasher. There were table tennis balls on the floor indicating that they had been playing games inside and all the drawers where I keep provisions had been opened and contents left on the floor. The TV was left on as well as heaters. Finally despite a clear no-smoking policy, there was clear evidence of smoking with cigarette butts on the floor and worse, a cigarette burn on the window sill which is going to require the sill be painted. Any future hosts be warned.

I will leave it as an exercise for readers of this forum which guest they would gladly host again and which they wouldn’t touch with a ten foot barge pole

3 Likes

I would host them in a second! :monkey_face: Yeah just kidding.

Just a minor suggestion that perhaps next time keep it a bit shorter? Just focus on the essentials to possibly avoid getting it pulled by an overzealous airbnb cs agent. For your consideration here is a draft that I might have used:

Would Not Host Again. Violated several house rules including Smoking. Cigarette burns on window sill. Cigarette butts left on floors. Trash and dirty dishes throughout the apt.

Short, brutally honest and all that’s needed - IMO. For a negative review, I always start with “Would Not Host Again”, as some hosts won’t need to read any further.

Oh - and “what dicks”! Sorry you had them!

3 Likes

Good suggestion that hopefully I will never have to use! Thanks

Just sometimes I will!
to very good and very bad only.

I think your negative review is fine as it is. @lchiu7 The suggested alternative doesn’t in my opinion give me a clear picture of the extent of how bad the guest actually was.

Good idea’s all It was an amazing experience with this place.

Not sure what you mean @Daniel165

What place?

JF

1 Like

@JohnF

This community.

1 Like

Looks like Daniel is trying to get in the minimum number of beginner posts so he can spam the forum later.

1 Like

No, I’m not spamming the forum

So Daniel, tell us a bit about where you host and what brought you to our forum.

1 Like

Yes please. It’s always good to know more about members here.

It’s good to know you’re not a spammer too - we do sometimes get people who think it’s a good idea for some reason. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Never thought to do this and I will try this. My worse reviewer asked to bring her dog to my pet free place— which I agreed to being a newbee and wanting some reviews—then gave me a 4 for location despite knowing ahead of time that my place is located in a rural, eclectic downtown. She also sent me a personal list of things she thought I needed to change.I was gracious in my responses but a little annoyed.

I always used to review guests after they checked out and I had time to assess the condition of the home but so many didn’t review me. So now I review good guests only if they leave me a review. I always review the not so great guests but I do wait the 14 days.

Please, please, please review all guests!

I hope that potential guests don’t read this thread and think that they can get away with anything because of hosts who don’t write reviews.

Writing reviews is part of the job. It’s pretty selfish not to. It only takes a few seconds to do.

3 Likes