Do you prefer monthly or daily guests?

She is a beauty indeed.

The worst I’ve been around is a friend in the 90’s-early 00s who had a max count of 16 dogs and 17 parrots on 4 acres. It was insane and so is she so sadly that friendship had to end.

2 Likes

That’s just craziness. Parrots. Ugh.

2 Likes

We have one cat and one dog. Funny story…both animals were homeless and came to us after living on the mean streets, after they walked though our open back door the same day. They became best friends with each other and special family to us. Rufus Gooddog and Lover Boy Cat.

9 Likes

I love this story and the picture. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I have rooms in my home. I prefer stays of a few days up to a week. That makes it worth turning the room but gives us a lot of flexibility. We can take a break easily or accommodate family. I also do long term rental in my apartment and a separate house. The biggest drawback is not knowing about problems until they have progressed further than I would like - broken things, messes, etc. I went to see a tenant once and noticed some odd droppings. She said, oh I’ve seen those for quite a while. The house had termites and I might have caught it sooner if I was in that space often.

I rent full properties; townhouses, apartments, and over time have increased my minimum stays. There’s no question that longer stays are easier, and although the total return is a little less due to length-of-stay discounts, it’s more than made up for by less cleaning, screenings and the work required with frequent guest turnover. There is also arguably lower risk with less tenants to screen, so less chance of the problematic ones…

That being said, I’m mindful about risk of bad tenants looking to squat without paying at an ABNB. Covid has created more risk of this. Thankfully I haven’t had one, but I’ve turned down guests if something doesn’t sound right. That could be a disastrous situation. I’m the type of landlord who wouldn’t hesitate to put belongings out & change locks, rather than sit by idly and accept my fate… I’d force the tenant to sue.

During covid there was a lot of demand for long stay, work from home, rural STR, for 3-6+ month stays, while city STR dried up. That demand has since waned, but things may change again.

Furnishedfinder already uses this kind of business model, seemingly successfully, so there’s clearly a space for it, and of course the same market is filled by Airbnb and existing travel sites, so I think the big hurdle will be just to grab eyeballs for market share and to differentiate yourself from the already existing sites.

I’m reticent to pay anything for new unproven advertising websites, so personally I’d only list anyplace new if they use the Airbnb pay per booking model. You’ll likely encounter this same hesitancy from most hosts, as most people looking for a STR will search known sites with large inventories… Good luck!