Do you prefer monthly or daily guests?

No, they don’t. Hosts have gotten guests who had wartants out for their arrest.

1 Like

Totally agree! When I’m doing the turnover or the cleaning, I get very excited when my watch tells me I’m doing great! But the 1 nighters are a lot of work yet my house is super clean. I approach it with “I’m so lucky I’m able to do this!”

I took a look at my stats last year and my bread and butter was 1 nighters interspersed with longer stays. Those stays usually were out of the house early and back late because they’re either moving here or want to explore the area or are working nearby. So I’ve only had a couple of guests who stayed all day and they were respectful (well, not the Italians) of my work from home needs.

This is so true!

1 Like

Good point – you provide another caveat not to rely on Airbnb checks, which are done in U.S. Note the disclaimer – no check if they don’t have an “accurate” name and DOB. From this I extrapolate that if you are IB you should require verified ID from guests. Unclear what the difference is between what Airbnb does if required vs. not required.

“We currently check certain databases of public state and county criminal records, as well as state and national sex offender registries on U.S.-based guests and hosts where we have at least an accurate first and last name plus date of birth”

Meaning that Airbnb doesn’t require accurate first and last names of guests. Verified ID means nothing. It means they submitted a copy of a driver’s license or something. Airbnb doesn’t know if that is actually the ID of the person who submitted it.

1 Like

I think that is a really valid point.

I prefer monthly or weekly guests. I don’t do short stays, it’s too much work. My min. is 5 nights.

1 Like

You also don’t live on the same property with someone (Airbnb guest) who has the power to make you miserable every day.

3 Likes

I have a 2 night minimum and 14 day max, I love it when I close the gates on Sunday. I have been getting more 4-6 nighters and I always cannot wait for them to leave!

That being said, I just accepted my longest stay ever, 28 days in July/August a single retired gentleman in his 80’s who wants to escape the heat of the desert for a month this summer. Friend of a friend, he came and met me and looked at the cabin about a week ago. I actually put him in my 3 bedroom with 2 bedrooms locked off to give me a break turning the big one over. It will make about the same as it would have with 4-6 turnovers during that time.

It will be weird having someone there that long, we do not live there but my business office is there and we are there everyday. We live a block away.

RR

1 Like

True! I don’t think I could do home shares. Sharing the home with hubby and five cats is enough : )

1 Like

:scream_cat: :scream_cat:

3 Likes

@KKC While the topic has shifted to animals, I know you do dog boarding, but do you have a dog of your own?

I have two of my own. Two older streetwalkers found about a year apart in 2009/2011.

Okay, I’m like a proud parent with their potty trained toddler.

This pic is about 7 years ago:

ellecocokiss

4 Likes

Sweet. They look a lot like Mexican street dogs. There used to be so many mangy, starving dogs around when I first moved here, but there’s a woman who opened an animal rescue, as well as a free spay and neuter clinic. She finds foster homes for the rescued dogs until they can be permanently adopted out.

I had a guest from Portland, Ore. who brings dogs back to Portland for the rescue center. They already have new homes arranged, she just volunteers to transport them with her. I asked why people in Portland don’t adopt dogs from up there, and she said the demand is more than the supply, because most people in the US, at least in her area, get their dogs spayed and neutered.

1 Like

Yes, cats are like potato chips, can’t stop at just one LOL

3 Likes

I had a cat once who not only didn’t go hide herself away when ready to give birth, she had her first kitten in the middle of the kitchen floor during hectic get the kids off to school breakfast time.

And the first time, she only gave birth to one kitten, which I thought was unusual.
Poor cat had no idea what to do- she got up and started walking off right away, the placenta still inside her, the kitten dragging behind her across the floor by the umbilical cord.
I had to put her in a box and the kitten on her teat before she clued in.

1 Like

I did. I’ve only had one cat, from Dec 1994 to Dec 2009. She has a very warm place in my heart. I could maybe seeing having another one if I was a fairly self sufficent old lady in my 70s or 80s.

1 Like

I’m also not a cat person. The one I have now was a stray who decided she lives here. I basically ignored her for a long time, she ate the dog food, and I didn’t name her. Then one of my guests named her.

But she’s earned her keep with the number of rodents she kills-she’s a great mouser and as I live in the countryside, it’s really helpful.

And she’s an outside cat. Few things gross me out more than a cat litter box.

1 Like

Thanks that response was so helpful I have check va kay rental management company they seem to be worth the costs because come after every guest to check for damage and will be responsible 24 / 7 to answer questions hope it’s not all hipe it’s trust on folks doing what they say

1 Like

My family has had 10 cats over a course of many years, often 3 at a time along with a large black Labrador. Miss Bella Marie Pesky Paws is a rescue Bengal and I’m her 3rd (and hopefully final) home. I won’t get another animal once she goes - she’s just too amazingly special.

2 Likes