Do you leave alcohol in your unit so guests can make cocktails?

My guests seem to have taken a new bottle of premium hard liquor with them. No bottle in the garbage, it’s just gone. Maybe they thought it was a gift? Most guests don’t even consume the beer and drinks I stock the fridge with so I’m just kind of surprised. I thought I’d leave good gin, vodka, whiskey in the apt with some mixers so people could relax with a drink when they got in. Perhaps this was quite naive…

I never leave anything out. Liquor is far too expensive to leave out. Some guests are good, but others will take total advantage of the situation. They’re the ones that ruin it for everyone.

Don’t leave out anything you would be sad to lose, and that goes for trinkets, dishes, etc. because things have a habit of getting damaged or walking off!

1 Like

I think it depends on where the rental is located. In more sophisticated, urbane settings (Venice Beach, New York City) commanding high nightly rates, I think bottles of alcohol are fine and are actually a nice touch; however, like someone else said, expect that an entire bottle might be consumed. If your rates are high enough, it won’t matter. Tip: put a chic bar cart out with different mixers on a tray along with a small assortment of gins, vodkas, etc and it looks great.

You all sound exceedingly cautious – curious if you all have liability insurance in case a guests falls, etc. Having to get a commercial insurance policy is the one big headache that may lead me stop renting out our apt. The extra money is great but that kind of policy would def cut into profits to the point where I have to question if this is worth it.

I had left a bottle of vodka in the freezer and no guests touched it until I had the guests from hell, which I have posted about here before. Never again. I do have a blender, martini glasses and margarita glasses in case they want to make their own. It is Hawaii after all and a cocktail at sunset is tradition!

I decorate my places with lots of personal items…no one has ever taken a thing.

I think your guests took it because they thought it was gifted to them. In the future maybe mention in the notes that the alcohol is to remain in the unit after your stay. Although I don’t know how you could word it without sounding awkward.

I dunno, I would just skip stocking the bar if it were me.

1 Like

I don’t accept guests where the mere presence of a bottle of Grey Goose translates into “vomit to clean up”. You’re over the top.

2 Likes

I don’t agree with Irene’s idea that any alcohol will result in vomit, or that people will be offended by a gift of alcohol as it is certainly not the case in the area I live in NY. Canadians (my husband being one, so I have spent a lot of time there) are a lot straighter in many ways and very politically correct, so her 'cookies and jelly beans ’ remarks don’t surprise me, but it’s certainly not what people would find sophisticated in our parts. I have given little half bottles of nice sparkling wine or champagne to guests on anniversary weekends, and never found it either not been partaken in (no vomit), or taken as a gift. It always looks elegant with some crystal glasses on a silver tray.

I personally agree however that your experience with the person taking the entire bottle, is fairly indicative of my experience of hosting. Many guests are well behaved, respectful, and seem to have a conscience that a small business owner is running things. If the stay amounts to thousands in a high end house that will make this sort of perk profitable, and is clearly not financially available to the frat crowd, that is completely viable.

In less high end accommodations, you are likely to be getting people that are trying to get the cheapest deal possible, and unfortunately, you run into the kinds of people that don’t seem to care about the host, and how their behavior may impact them. Clearly for a stay of $140 for one night, if the guests consume a $40 of booze, use $16 worth of food and utilities, and you pay 10% tax, this would be a different story. And there may be vomit too (ha). I have had people stay that have consumed incredible amounts of alcohol, thankfully I didn’t pay for it! I didn’t see vomit, but there was lots and lots of noise. With some of the young couples I get, and I mean thirty-something professionals with very good jobs, I have been quite stunned with the selfish behavior. But as I mentioned, I am a getaway from NYC, where we have some of the most spoiled kids of the ‘me’ generation. Some are amazing! And others, not so much.

A ‘louche atmosphere’ just because certain hotels have alcohol? Glory be. I rest my case. By the way, my husband is a recovering alcoholic of ten years. We travel extensively, and don’t select hotels in this way and I can’t imagine anyone I know considering high end hotels as sordid simply because they cater to people that enjoy alcohol - many of whom are able to drink in a healthy and non addictive way. It’s like saying because some people overeat, you shouldn’t have restaurants or in room dining in hotels. We all know that food addiction and obesity is a massive problem. The problem is the addiction, not the evil of any particular item. People can get addicted to anything. My husband has also been the one to suggest the champagne and go out to buy it. He knows he won’t drink. Any responsible adult won’t drink just because there is alcohol there. Yet many will drink themselves into a condition you would be horrified about - even when you only put your jelly beans out for them. I agree with CH. You are over the top. You can’t control everything, and of this, you will find out soon, on your own. As for your fears of legal issues? OTT too. The only precedents is adult hosts actually giving alcohol to minors. I don’t host minors. I don’t accept children. If you are accepting adults and they have children, I would expect that the present adults would be responsible - not you.

People have been hosting parties, forever and a day, and I doubt they’re going to start serving ‘biscotti’ because of the issues you just brought up. That may fly at get togethers with you and your friends, but many people are quite different. You don’t need to edumacate me on addiction issues, as I am well aware of alcohol and its many problems. But those that are alcoholics will be so whether you leave out the wine or not. It is not within your control.

I didn’t say I was an expert on Canadian culture, but I have spent a lot of time there, and much time in Montreal. I was there just three weeks ago. We go many times a year, and I have traveled all over Canada, and have many Canadian friends. I am also not American, and have traveled the world extensively. I hold to my feelings that Canadians are especially conservative, and your follow up remarks only solidify my point. If you are trying to call me a hick, (and by the way, I never made any insults, as being straight and politically correct isn’t insulting, as it seems to be what people strive for there), I would say that you don’t know me well enough to make that remark. That’s the kind of insult small town people that move to cities that still feel a bit insecure tend to make. In real cities, there’s nothing wrong with being a ‘hick’ or anything else, so long as you are a decent person, and treat others with respect. It’s only provincial type places where this is such a deflating remark. I’ll take the hick and hope my little stint of trying to grow a decent garden for the past ten years has rubbed off on me. Cheers!

Sorry Irene, your obsession with everyone being alcoholics is alarming. I drink on special occasions, maybe a few times a year, and no more than two drinks. The only person throwing insults is you. The ‘just say’in’ remark (often left by teenagers on YouTube after disgraceful insults) doesn’t soften your unfounded accusations. You may think I’m here for a fight, but I’m really here to make sure gross misrepresentations of ‘legal issues’ and paranoid people don’t come off as convincing other hosts that their bizarre ideas are the norm.

By the way, your posts are simply full of unsubstantiated claims. I don’t know what planet you are on, thinking that ‘gone are the days when these bars were full of patrons’. Try looking at facts, if your small world view is suffering from your problem with alcohol (I am beginning to get the idea you are one of the people that my husband has told me about from AA, who becomes a hardcore alcohol vigilante after they finally quit, and seems to think their drug of choice is also everyone’s problem). Here’s the real facts. Alcohol sales are climbing in your country and ours. http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/canadians-spent-21-4b-on-booze-last-year-statscan-1.1769837 Contrary to what may have been a terrible experience for you with alcohol and for many others unfortunately, not everyone becomes an alcoholic, although it is a huge problem. But it’s a societal issue that won’t be solved by hiding it away. The ways to help addiction don’t involve hiding it away, or pretending you can live in an alcohol free world, but should be directed towards thoughts and discussion of how to prevent it occurring. I’m afraid the discussion may be beyond your capacity right now. However, should an active (non functioning and messy) alcoholic visit your home, I’m quite sure they will get drunk regardless as to you leaving them a bottle of wine, and if a recovering one who is actively engaged in their recovery recieves a welcoming gift of a lovely bottle, hopefully they are more than happy to pass on the nice bottle to someone who appreciates it, or will be happy for their non-alcoholic wife to enjoy her rare special occasion glass :wink: I do understand how powerful addicts find drinking to be, and that even just seeing a bottle can set off powerful urges, but someone in a safe place and safe relationship will mention that (as my husband has shared on occasion, even about the liquor cabinet in our home), and we will talk it out until the urges or issues behind them passes. As I said, you can’t control everyone. No one is making you have wine out, but to make all the claims you have just show you to be over the top, as was first mentioned. Perhaps a little further along your recovery you might be able to calm down.

I’m happy to see by the things in your post that you went and toned down in an edit that you did after all read my post. I truly hope you were able to see that I am genuine, and not here simply for hostility. I will say I take issue with hysteria and people that spread info that isn’t factual, due to so many on the internet being time pressed and possibly taking some claims at face value. Perhaps you too will check the tone of your posts and ‘see what your part in this is’. Cheers, Sandy

Serving alcohol could be bigger liability than you think. Firstly - do you have an insurance that will cover you serving liquor to paying guests? Secondly - what happens if they have one to many and get in an accident? Guess what? - YOU will be liable.

Fendi, can you post where you get the facts on this from? I just can’t find the law that fits our situation or any precedents. All I find as far as being liable, are KNOWINGLY giving alcohol to minors, and for this you have to be present and give it to minors to the point they are intoxicated, or to an already intoxicated person that then goes out and harms themselves or others or property. I’ve searched pretty hard, and laws vary for every state, and just haven’t turned anything up that fits. Thanks.

I do not know state laws. In Canada we had a number presidents where person/company was found liable serving liquor and person got to an accident after that. Even if you host a home party you are here responsible if you allow your friends to drive home drunk.
Re. What you said if you leave the alcohol for the guests to serve themself you would not know if they are of legal drinking age or if they are indeed intoxicated. I would be surprised if your insurance would like that either-more chances for injuries and lawsuits.

No, I don’t leave alcohol in the units. I leave other items, such as milk, coffee, tea, etc. I don’t know their religion or sobriety issues.

Yes-what she said :slight_smile: