Do you have TV's in your rental spaces?

LOL. I was being a little (a lot) silly. One of nesuite’s post says she wants more guests and a post here says she is “getting rentals just fine.” So my detailed post on her other thread feels…unnecessary.

As an fyi, I’m a fan of mounting them on the wall so they can’t be knocked over and easier to clean around than if they are sitting on something.

2 Likes

Great suggestion, thanks!

1 Like

I get your point and your comment isn’t wasted at all. If multiple people thought it would make a significant difference, I would reconsider. If I have to choose between an extra night’s stay here or there over a good night’s sleep, sleep wins.

Side note: I had a tenant for six months who not only feel asleep with it blaring, left his poor dog alone howling for long periods of time. These two things turned me off to tvs and pets.

2 Likes

Honestly, since @KKC was very clear about it, I didn’t think the idea required more support but here goes since you’re not convinced.

I looked at your listing and also looked around your area, both at other listings and at hotels (some cheaper than your room) in the area. I’m officially saying that I also think a TV will make a significant difference, especially since your guests don’t have access to the rest of the house (so no TV). Could you move your bed to another wall (or another room?) and/or get a white noise machine for yourself?
Also, some (most even?) TVs allow you to lock the settings so you can set a Max volume and keep your guests from changing the max. (We have to use this setting all of the time to keep peace in Nursing Homes otherwise there is a ton of fighting between roommates).

1 Like

I rent my whole home in the Catskill Mountains of New York State when I am not there. I have two TVs. One with cable and Roku with a plethora of streaming services. The other with just Roku.

They are almost always heavily used. I can tell by the number of unfamiliar programs in the histories of my streaming services.

We are all in different markets with different demographics. There is no one right answer.

3 Likes

This won’t be the first time someone wants more guests and also doesn’t want to change what they are doing in order to get them. And there’s nothing wrong with that. I just wish they would tell me first before I spend any time replying.

5 Likes

:point_up_2:If this were Twitter I would call this Tweet of the Day. :clap:

4 Likes

It’s such a shame that just one less-than-perfect experience can colour a hosts opinions in that way.

1 Like

And comparing tenants to overnight guests is comparing oranges and orangutans.

3 Likes

Hay, I think I can now say I have coined a term…now that it has been reused by someone else! :wink:

I find that also. I log them out and tell them via AirBnB messaging. Maybe it will show I am considerate!

2 Likes

@parky:

I suspect that it depends where your rental is. My rentals are (1) a guest room in our home and (2) a first floor apartment adjacent to our home. We don’t want a TV in either space and fortunately, for us, we live in a major university town. Our guests aren’t interested in watching TV while they are here.

We do have a canned response to all our inquiries and bookings that highlights the fact that there is no TV, telling them they can cancel their reservation, if they made one, without penalty within the first 48 hours. No one has ever cancelled due to the lack of a TV.

3 Likes

It wasn’t one experience, it was six months of running to make sure the dog wasn’t dying and awake many nights to a crazy loud tv and no answers to my calls or texts.

OMG! I can’t imagine tolerating that for 6 months!

2 Likes

It was the experience of one guest with a dog. Many of us have hosted many guests with dogs with no problems at all. Any potential or new hosts reading this should be aware that there’s another angle to this and that many hosts have successful experiences hosting pets. :slight_smile:

If you’re not on the premises, don’t you have a co-host who could have talked to the guest? (I think I’d have contacted the animal welfare people). The loud TV alone would have been enough for me!

Why did you let it go on for 6 months? I can’t understand that.

3 Likes

I didnt let it go. I called, stopped by, reiterated our agreement. It took me six months to get him out.

How long was his reservation originally for?

I just got a 32" wall mount 1080p Roku SmartTV from Amazon on a Black Friday deal and it’s going up on Thursday. I don’t know how many bookings I may have lost aside from the 2 that mentioned “needing” a TV, but all my nearby hosts have one and I want every competitive advantage possible.

I don’t want or need one in my bedroom - I can happily stream from my laptop if guests are here.

3 Likes

We provide a 50" TV (locking mount on the wall) with an Amazon Fire Stick ($25). We set our parental controls to restrict access to pay functions, but allow the guest to access our Prime Video content. Plus they have access to dozens of other streaming services they can pay for, or log into with their own account. Its very easy to use, and doesn’t cost us anything to share the account.You can get the same screen at Walmart for $179. Why not consider it an added amenity that might attract more guests? PS, they can also use the Firestick to beam video from their cell phone to the screen wirelessly, if they prefer.

1 Like