Do you have TV's in your rental spaces?

Usually after midnight, so I’ve been told :wink:

JF

As a host I offera smart tv with Roku with Sling TV and CBS All Access. I also added an over the air antenna. I agree with KKC

As a guest I pass up those without tv because I find it relaxing after a day of conferencing, touring or whatever. I also want to be able to watch national news and see local weather. I know I can do that on my phone or laptop but there are times when I would rather have the big screen of a tv.

2 Likes

I’d agree with @KKC and say that about 80% of guests use the TV. I’ve no idea why because there’s so much to do here, but that’s people for you.

Yes, I’d say that it’s an essential amenity for guests. Like @georgiahost I watch TV very rarely but in this country anyway, it seems to be seen as being necessary.

I’m not sure that depends on the type of accommodation and the listing. I would imagine that bargain places need a TV because guests can’t afford to go out every evening? And at more expensive places guests will expect it anyway.

It seems that everywhere is expected to have at least one TV these days.

1 Like

Entire home listing, 2br2ba. When first starting with this rental, I had a smart tv in the living area & a basic TV in the bedroom.

My HOA dues pay for basic cable and I provide Netflix.

My first year I received several comments about wanting a tv in the smaller bedroom and access to Netflix on all TVs.

I purchased affordable smart Visio TVs at Walmart.

BTW. I’ve taken out the DVD players and no one complained/complains. One broke and I’m tired of replacing HDMI cables that “went missing”. I’m guessing guests used the cables to connect game consoles and took them.

1 Like

Thank you for your response. :slight_smile:

Opinions, please? At my word-of-mouth pied a terre rental (in a major urban area), two out of three guests have asked if they can watch a major league sports game on the TVs in the house. I have Roku and Amazon Prime but have not subscribed to a sports channel – that’s like $40/month. I’ve told guests if it’s not live on one of the major networks, just go two blocks down to the local bar, which is festooned with TVs tuned to sports. Is this a deal-killer in anyone’s experience? Should I pay for sports access?

Most of the major sports events are carried on broadcast networks. An over the air reciever is very inexpensive. Directions to a sports bar in your house manual would also be a good idea.

Yes can be a deal killer for a longer term rental. Less than a week probably not a deal killer BUT someone will point it out in a review.

For a longer term rental, if they want the sports channels & You can arrange it with an up charge.

If you are in USA, You may want to consider Sports channels available on Sling TV. $20/month

1 Like

We have a small tv with local channels only. Our guests at Tiny Tiki Retro Hideaway have other things on their mind and seem to relish being together and offline.

3 Likes

I use the DVD/BluRay players to make the “dumb” LCD TVs in each bedroom “Semi-smart” but have actual smart TVs in the living rooms.

1 Like

We have about six million channels. (Or so it seems to me).

I’ve only once had a guest say that they’d have liked a TV in the bedroom and this must have been a face-to-face conversation as I recall going into a bit of a rant about how modern science (and Feng Shui) says that screens in the bedroom (including phones, laptops) are bad for you sleepwise.

I think I read that. If not, I must have made it up. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We thought about that; but decided against it due to the fact most of our TV is in Spanish, and we get a lot of non Spanish speaking guests. i know from chatting to guests that a good few have been grateful for the stacks of DVD’s in each apartment and the several hundred we have in “the office” that folks can utilise.

JF

2 Likes

We have a TV in our Cape Town apartment with cable TV but none in either of our Malaga apartments even though we do in our own part of the house. If we rented through the Winter months I might consider it but it’s really not the sort of place you spend the evening watching TV. People either go out to eat (late!) or sit on the terrace chatting. The majority of our guests are young couples who usually have iPads or tablets with them anyway and they watch Netflix on our account or their own.
Only one guest has EVER mentioned it and it was someone who wanted to watch a World Cup match. I told him he’d have much more fun watching it in the Irish Bar by the beach, so he did, told me afterwards what a great time he had and subsequently went every night!I have asked some of our guests at the end of their stay whether they think we should have TV - most have been quite surprised at the question and the gist was that they don’t come on holiday to watch TV …
@JohnF Lots of our expat friends have satellite TV so they can watch the Freeview UK channels but we have trees and a mountain which prevent us getting a signal. Don’t you have the Movistar package? I’d much rather not as it’s so expensive and I resent Telefonica’s monopoly, but I have a husband with an addiction to BBC World news …

1 Like

No must have. 95% of my guest do not use them at all.
Just buy a cheap tv and put it in just to be able to say you have one.

2 Likes

100% agree. In the UK, on principle, we refused to be sucked in to subscribing to Murdoch’s Sky packages.

Lack of UK channels doesn’t bother me, anything I particularly want to watch can always be found :wink: maybe just not at broadcast time.

However, my OH has an addiction similar to your husband; the difference is that it is Strictly and The Apprentice. My solution for her involves iPlayer and a good VPN, problem solved!

Running satellite cable throughout the building is a desirable, and over the Winter I may do it in conjunction with the network cabling I intend to install. Three foot thick walls play havoc with the guests WiFi and I’m loathe to buy more repeaters!

JF

I do not. The rental space is adjacent to my bedroom and the noise is just too much (I learned that from a former tenant).

I have only ever had one complaint. Most people have their own devices these days.

If I can figure out how to deal with the sound, I may put one in, but for now I am getting rentals just fine.

Hi Parky, and welcome.

My guests used computers, tablets, and phones. However when I got Smart TV’s in each room, they were hooked!

You could possibly stipulate that TV sound is only allowed via head/earphones and maybe even provide a cheap $10 wireless set from Walmart so the guest can hear as loud as they want and while walking around.

1 Like

I suppose this is going to come off as contrary but you just posted another thread about wanting more winter guests. And I suggested a TV. So huh. I guess I wasted my effort with that post.

2 Likes

Not really wasted. What you and others have said here caused us to rethink not having TVs in our guest bedrooms. We ordered them yesterday. They will be here tomorrow. We got smallish smart TVs that suit the sizes of our rooms.

1 Like