Do you Google guests before accepting?

Do you Google your guests before accepting reservations? I just had a 4 night booking for tonight cancel 2 hours before check in with no message. Tried Googling his name and no results. Very strange.

I’ve never Googled a Guest – before, during or after their stay. If they cancelled 2 hours before, then you should be able to keep the money and review them as a No Show Guest.

3 Likes

No, I use instant book. Sometimes I google them after they reserve but don’t usually have the time.

2 Likes

Thanks. Just kind of curious how much other hosts are screening requests before accepting. I Googled him after he canceled because I had given him our lockbox code and am a remote host. I thought it was strange that someone would have no record at all on the Internet in 2018. He had just signed up on Airbnb in December and had no reviews. We did get paid for the first night.

1 Like

Remote hosts should get CCTV camera systems or at the very least a video doorbell. I’d probably have a security system as well. Then feature these prominently in your listing. It will help to deter bad behavior.

6 Likes

Thanks. We plan to get a Ring installed soon. Our next door neighbor cleans our place and helps keep an eye on things but your recommendation makes a lot of sense!

I don’t think it is very easy to google a potential guest before accepting since we don’t have their last names (unless they give it in their message). I have occasionally googled them once accepted and I know that at least one guest did his research on me. He was a former cop and told me so and then asked questions about the unique things he found I had done in my career as an army officer.

I google / research all my guests, usually in prep for their visit.

It’s no different than what I’d do in my professional career prior to meeting with a client. The more you know about someone, the better you can adjust your approach, service, and expectations.

I estimate that at:
PreBooking, I average about 25% in finding them*
PostBooking I average about 90% in finding them*
* Names like ‘John Smith’ are more challenging

Most information comes from LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram.

Whatever insight I get, I use to ensure I communicate effectively and/or provide extra touches:

• I’ve adjusted the television to a favorite news channel (found from FaceBook profile)
  • I’ve provided a favorite type of flowers
  • I’ve revised my recommendations / things to do when I discover where they live / lived or where they work.
  • I’ve once provided a guest with few restaurants he might want to go to, because his startup tech company provided a restaurant tool that I thought would be of interest/need. He responded that one restaurant I mentioned, he had planned to visit because they were in talks with corp about doing a pilot test.
  • If I discover someone is an ABNB host, I checkout their listing / reviews to ensure I’m providing a level of service that is equal to or better than theirs.

It’s only been met with with appreciation.

5 Likes

@HH_AZ How have you had 25% success pre-booking? Are they all giving you their last name?

Some have provided last names. But even without, there are often other bits of information that sometimes piece together enough info for a google search.

Today an inquiry had no last name, but his description had location and the company he worked for; and in a review there was his wife’s name and some other pertinent items that provided a match. Wedding Registries are other sites that often pop up when you have two first names of a couple, as was the situation today.

As I said it’s low odds especially for someone w no reviews and/or new to ABNB but it only takes a couple of minutes to see

I sometimes Google but often I can’t find anything. Last group I googled and only on Third try I found and by the name of the company.

Make no mistake, it is very important that you screen all your guests. Using Google is not a bad idea. Another thing that you can do is to ask them questions about the reason of their stay etc. In addition to the actual answers, the way that they reply will tell you more about the type of guest. For instance, a rude tone or reluctance to answer your questions are usually not very good signs. Hope this helps!

Thanx. I rarely get profiles with any info and often times the info I get is outdated (although could be helpful) and not that many have much in the way of reviews. I get a
Lot of newbies it seems, probably 3/4ths. I would guess I get about 15% total that I find anything. Although I do so much less now. For the long term ones definitely.

I have IB. I prefer to google guests after booking because it tells me a bit more about them and what they are likely to enjoy in terms of hospitality. It is also an additional layer of comfort for me. This is particularly true of first timers.

I once had a professional prospective guest with an unusual last name. I could find nothing on him at all, not even at the unis he claimed to have taught at. Thanks, but no thanks.

1 Like