Do you drink alcohol before meeting your guests? Why? Why not?

My weekend break guests mostly arrive late Friday afternoon after work and travelling for an hour from Melbourne. Friday is also my designated drinking night. So when they get here I am sober as a judge but if they need to actually talk to me say around 9pm and I open the usually locked door to my upstairs flat they are greeted by a fat beardy drunk man in a wheelchair in a cloud of cigarette smoke. It is why I encourage them to text first. :japanese_goblin:

I should add that when offered a drink by guests say when playing with my dog on the front lawn I politely thank them and turn it down. I know what I am like after even a couple of drinks and my guests don’t pay for me to tell them the story of my life in 5 minutes. :japanese_goblin::japanese_goblin:

2 Likes

I have 7 beach cottages and I live in the main cottage. If a guest is late checking in, and they don’t arrive until 7:30, chances are pretty good that my husband and I are having drinks while grilling dinner. I’m human and this is also my home with private gated deck :woman_shrugging:t3:
Haven’t received any bad reviews thus far, but then again I’m not using the tether ball as a practicing station for pole dancing , and I’m not talking like a sailor

7 Likes

I don’t think that is a serious message.
And I would like to see if joa is an airbnb host.

1 Like

You are giving me a laugh, thanks.

I’m sure it’s an amusing trolling post.

1 Like

I am not sure why you both would think @Joa is a troll. They have been posting here for some time.

I like a glass of wine or two once the evening draws in, so if the guests are checking in late, I may have had more wine.
Only a couple of times have I greeted guests and promised to be their best friends forever, then challenged them to a fight.

9 Likes

got dinged a star for communication

3 Likes

Since you asked, it sounds rather sick to me. If you “need” any intoxicant to function, you have some serious work to do! I question whether hosting is right for you. There is help available for social anxiety and you should seek that out. It may help in other aspects of your life.

When I read the title I assumed it was about greeting guests with booze on your breath. I don’t drink a lot, but I have an evening libation and I’ve considered that. After all, it is my house, I’m far from intoxicated and three times the legal drinking age!

1 Like

Is this a joke? You should not need this prior to meeting a guest or maybe should not be hosting?

3 Likes

I don’t drink because I simply don’t. I have a Gerd and drinking alcohol could do more harm than good for me. It is important too that I have presence of mind and totally grounded before facing my guest. This will make them feel comfortable too and they will trust the place more.

I don’t need to drink before meeting my guests. I sometimes need to after.

14 Likes

I don’t ever drink because of guests, although once in a while I can see why people are tempted.

When there’s a connection, I’ve enjoy sitting with guests over a bottle of wine and/or a meal. For me sharing food, drink and stories are the best parts of hosting.

I’ve had a less than a handful of guests in the last 5-years (that I know of…), that have made me feel uncomfortable because of the amount that they drink. Now, this is just my perspective - a flag goes up, if someone drinks a bottle of wine by his or herself. Once I had a guest that spent all her time in her room. After she checked-out, I found a bag of empty bottles under a bush in the front yard (it also had receipts with her name on them in the bag). I had no idea that she was drinking!

Thank you, CatskillsGrrl.

What finally convinced me was the inability to predict what would happen with 100% accuracy when I took a drink. That was May 17, 1990, and I have been sober ever since.

5 Likes

The owner of our local cafe can usually tell when we have a late check in, instead of a lovely cold Estrella at the end of the day it’s cafe con leche for me. Couldn’t imagine meeting guests smelling of alcohol…

JF

1 Like

Congratulations, @justMandi! :heart:

1 Like

Thank you Cat! It’s great when other sober people show up, too.

I don’t allow alcohol on the property. Logistics, really. I can’t handle a drunk man. Cannabis is a lot easier to deal with.

3 Likes