Do you drink alcohol before meeting your guests? Why? Why not?

I’m a very shy person. So usually I drink quite a lot of alcohol to be able to meet and socialize with the guests. It makes them more comfortable I guess (I’ve never received any complaints) and it makes me more comfortable too.

Is that wrong?

2 Likes

What do you call ‘quite a lot’ ?

Do you offer a room in your home?

If not and the meet and greet makes you uncomfortable then just offer self check in.

If you have consumed “quite a lot of alcohol” I don’t think your judgments in whether or not guests are comfortable can be trusted.

If you have to get intoxicated to meet guests, you might want to reconsider this line of work. (Or, I suspect doing ‘to meet guests’ may be an excuse? Only you can know that.)

Please give it a try sober.

7 Likes

@CatskillsGrrl sober?? Are you crazy? What would I say to the guests? And also I think they would be very bored…
I’m so much better when a little bit drunk

2 Likes

@Joa I’ve never felt the need to get tanked up to meet a guest, but may have had a drink if I have been out having lunch before check in for example.

You haven’t clarified whether you host remotely or not, but if you feel uncomfortable meeting and greeting without having a fair few drinks, then an alternative to alcohol could be having some hypnotherapy or other counselling or support to help identify coping tactics in situations which make you feel painfully shy.

Perhaps try practice runs with a friend using a script and ask them for feedback.

If you meet and greet when ‘a little drunk’ I bet most guests will pick up on it.

Best of luck.

Your question (and your answer) worry me. And I think it worries you, too, or you wouldn’t be posting and asking us if your drinking is okay. I think you already know the answer.

Here are 12 questions you can ask yourself:

1. Have you ever decided to stop drinking for a week or so, but only lasted for a couple of days?

2. Do you wish people would mind their own business about your drinking-- stop telling you what to do?

3. Have you ever switched from one kind of drink to another in the hope that this would keep you from getting drunk?

4. Have you had to have an eye-opener upon awakening during the past year?

5. Do you envy people who can drink without getting into trouble?

6. Have you had problems connected with drinking during the past year?

7. Has your drinking caused trouble at home?

8. Do you ever try to get “extra” drinks at a party because you do not get enough?

9. Do you tell yourself you can stop drinking any time you want to, even though you keep getting drunk when you don’t mean to?

10. Have you missed days of work or school because of drinking?

11. Do you have “blackouts”?

12. Have you ever felt that your life would be better if you did not drink?

If you answer YES to four or more questions you are probably in trouble with alcohol.

9 Likes

Not like “Oh, crap, guests are coming - better do some shots!” :joy: but if they’re arriving after dinner they’re likely to meet me after a couple glasses of wine.

I think it would be really poor form to be drunk in front of guests. I stayed in a weed-friendly state where the host was crossfaded (alcohol and weed) and told me way too much about her herniated vagina.:open_mouth: I’m sure she thought we were fast girlfriends, but without our normal filters in place, it can get TOO familiar for a host/guest situation.

You’re not alone in being shy and introverted and there’s a reason they call alcohol a social lubricant, but I’d be wary of any substance you feel you “need” to get by in life.

5 Likes

Can’t say I’m worried about being boring when meeting guests. I’m just quickly showing them the space; takes about 5 minutes. I don’t think they’d have time to get bored.

1 Like

@Joa you’ve been having a lot of problems with this Airbnb business. You’ve been had your listing shut down, you’ve contacted Airbnb with numerous issues that they ignore, multiple guests complaining and wanting refunds. People are doing chargebacks on their credit card. You refer to multiple apartments and yet having a full time job and not being able to meet people until 5 pm or later. Are you drinking at work before you meet your guests?

Does it occur to you that the many problems you are having are related to alcohol? Or that some guest is going to realize you’re drunk, report you to Airbnb and you’re going to get kicked off the platform. I’m seeing a pattern.

There aRe Only Long Laments in your posts.

4 Likes

I am betting you’re not.

3 Likes

What a bizarre question. Possibly written while drunk?

I’m an introvert, so I try to have as little face-to-face interaction with guests as possible, which is why I offer self check-in. But I’m not so terrified of talking to guests that I couldn’t meet them if needed (and I have on a few occasions.) Otherwise, I would definitely rethink my choice of doing AirBnB as a business.

I would definitely not drink before meeting guests. I want to be as alert as possible so I can get a measure of the guest or any red flags. I don’t worry about me, whether I am interesting or not or whatever, I just focus on them as a guest.

4 Likes

Joa love, it is a staggeringly bad idea to drink alcohol before greeting guests, for all sorts of reasons but also because it puts you at risk from anyone unscrupulous. Have a visit of www.soberistas.co.uk and see what you think. Chin up!

1 Like

HUGELY BAD IDEA TO DRINK AND HOST! What ARE you thinking??

This is where you SERIOUSLY need to reconsider Hosting! If you have to get tanked to meet someone, say Hi, and show them around, you’re doing both yourself and your guests a huge dis-service.

You also seriously need to call AA and start attending meetings.

I sincerely hope you are joking @Joa
Otherwise, you are in a real trouble

3 Likes

Meeting guests first time is like driving. You need 100% focus and concentration. Absolutely anything can go wrong…

1 Like

I’m sure he/she is joking :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Now come on, who would admit to drinking at work on a public forum? I suspect that ‘someone’ is trying to give Airbnb hosts a bad name!

Not working, dear :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The same one that got us all wound up about whether we should charge a messy Chinese guest more or not.

3 Likes

I have a keen nose. If a person had had quite a few drinks I’m sure my nose would crinkle. And it would concern me to stay in a house that the owner might not have all their wits about them, i.e. what if there is an emergency??

2 Likes

If OP is not a troll, they’ve sure got more problems than we can deal with here!

4 Likes