Do you ask Guests for Reviews?

I agree with Helsi. You need reviews starting out. There are four of them and it needs to be done from whoever booked it and maybe they din’t understand The process.

I’ve never asked for a review and never will, it’s just not my style. I will also never tell a guest I’m leaving them a 5 star review as I’ve had guests tell me they’re leaving me a 5 star review and I immediately felt like they now expected me to leave them one; I don’t care for that approach. I am with @KKC, and just try to provide a 5 star experience.

2 Likes

I ask for reviews where I need them, google page, Trip adviser
The perfect time to ask is when they compliment you…
Guest: Thanks so much we loved the place!
Me: We are so glad you enjoyed your stay, please remember to review me on google and trip adviser I will send you links.

1 Like

I’ve had a few guests tell me that, I just say thanks. If I haven’t been in the room yet, then I don’t know what I’ll leave them. I know part of my aversion to asking is that it reminds me of students fishing around about their grade. “If I have an 89.4 will you give me the tenth of a point” or “I really need 100 because I’m ______.” And if a host did the same to me it would be a turn off, especially if I didn’t think it was a 5 star place.

1 Like

I have conditioned myself to ask for reviews, I start by setting the expectation early by responding to compliments with prompts for reviews, if I have any thoughts that I am dealing with unreasonable people or even a hint I would not get a good review I keep quiet. I am a real estate broker and by using this strategy I have more reviews than any agent in my area, even though 1 or 2 have more sales than me. You(@KKC) have more reviews than other hosts in your area and it propels you to the top of the search I am guessing? Reviews do get you higher in search rankings with Google I know that for certain. Nothing wrong with asking I say.

Yes, I certainly have the advantage there. Easy for me to say I don’t ask for reviews. I didn’t when I first started out but I understand why others need to. I’m really a bit surprised that I get so many reviews. One would think that busy travelers would skip it thinking it makes no difference to me. I’d like to think that I’m still getting them because I provide an exceptional stay. I also review first most of the time and their curiousity is piqued about what I wrote.

One thing I do for guests who write really nice long reviews is that I message them to thank them and tell them I hope they pass through again. I’ve had a few that I also text them on their cell and tell them to contact me directly if they come back and they save on fees.

2 Likes

Yes, I do.
I know that it isn’t appropriate, however, people usually leave only negative reviews. I’m using simple technique - i’m offering 10% discount for their next visit. This works really well for me - I’ve not only received lots of reviewes, but also accumulated a base of loyal customers.

Are you saying you are paying them to leave you a positive review? Or just a review?

We have a note in the front of our guest book, and on a sheet next to the wall, reminding guests that it is important for us to be reviewed. I also track when a guest has first signed up on AirBnB; I’ve noticed “rookies”, who have been members for less than two months before booking, often are the hardest to receive reviews from. We always send our guests a message through AirBnB after they have checked out, thanking them for their stay, letting them know (if it was) that the cabin was left in great shape, to let us know if they had any issues, or found anything in the area they considered noteworthy, to leave us a review, and safe travels home. So far, we have about 98% leave reviews.

I like the way you word/time the ask. If I were to start asking for reviews that is definitely the way I would go about it. As it is almost everyone seems to review us so I don’t really worry about it.

That’s funny; I find the complete opposite. Newbies review right away because they also want/need reviews.

3 Likes

That’s interesting. It may be that ours need a better education on how AirBnB works, or they may be one-guest wonders. I need to look at how many who started out as rookies ever come back.

1 Like

Hi, I asked my first couple of guests if they could help me by giving me some reviews because I was new to Airbnb. They gave us great reviews and were pleased to help!

1 Like

Thanks for all the feedback on my question. I have learned much from your answers. My 4 Men never did leave a Reference nor did I request one.

We asked and reminded a couple of our guests in the beginning to write a review as we were just establishing our business. We also asked them to let us know if there’s anything we could do better. They were all grateful and happy to oblige.

I’m new and just got the most lovely reviews. I think they both came after the 2nd note from Air. I think Air pesters them enough, so I don’t need to. If I thought they were never going to write a review, ie in the 11-13 day range, I would consider requesting them to do it. I like Gultnash type wording.

Inside our house manual it says on page six: “We especially like and hope for 5***** star reviews”
I printed the below on special paper about 5x7" and it’s resting on the inside of a shelf, not obvious. laugh so hard when I am trying to read it. (Copy looks funny…)
Here is a quick rundown on how the review system for Airbnb works.

5 ********* =Just as described (or better).
******** =Not as described, it was just “OK”.
******* =What a dump.
****** =This host should be in jail.
***** =Bulldoze the place

Location Rating:
********* =I can read a map & the location was just as described on the map.
******** =I can’t read the map, the place was in the wrong location.
******* =I never found the place
****** =I didn’t read the description.
***** =I forgot how to read a map.

Value Rating:
********* =The price was as described.
******** =I didn’t read description.
******* =I skipped that part of the listing.
****** =I’m a total cheapskate.
***** =I’d rather be couch surfing.

3 Likes

When I was new (5-years ago) I read a host’s blog that advocated asking for reviews. This was someone who had been doing Airbnb for a while with a solid 5-star rating. I came up with a simple short message requesting a review when I sent the guest a thank you note… something like this:

Hi ___:
Thanks for choosing my place! It was a pleasure to have you stay in my home and hope that you found the accommodations comfortable. I very much enjoyed our evening conversations and hope to see you again.

Would you mind leaving a review about your experience? Your comments help others to know what to expect when they are looking for a room. It would mean a lot to me. I look forward to reading your comments.

Or this version of the second paragraph:
I’d also like to ask a favor of you. If you have a moment and are so inclined, please leave me a positive review on Airbnb. Your comments help others know what to expect when they are looking for a room. It would mean a lot to me. I look forward to reading your comments.

Thank you and best wishes,

I rarely include the second paragraph these days, though I might, if it is someone that is new to Airbnb, and hopefully encourage them to leave positive reviews.

I don’t ask. I find if it’s a male guest, they often don’t leave a review or make it very brief.

One more vote for “NEVER ASK FOR A REVIEW”
How would you feel if the waiter asked for a tip?

Your role as a new host is to provide such stellar experience that they feel compelled to leave you a review to spread the good news across the land about how great your place is.

1 Like

AS I wrote that I did Not ask him for a Review after reading all of your posts. Guess what? He just left me a Review!!! Short but Good-Good…