Do we have the record for most house rules?

We have two stray cats who live on our premises. I was very successful at keeping them out until a lovely pair of guests started feeding them human-grade tuna. Since that time, the cats have hung around there all the more. I have to ask guests not to feed them now. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Technically I have 10 rules (but there are 5 footnotes because I try to keep the rules short so people will read them). There are other “rules” (like using placemats on the dining table or not throwing out my small detergent bottles since I refill them), but I address those with little labels in the house by the relevant item. It’s very effective & what we call “just in time” feedback/information. A note on the door stating to please keep it shut (due to whatever reason if you feel that will compel folks) might work nicely & then wouldn’t need to go on the rules list if you wanted to shorten it.

1 Like

I agree with that approach. There is a difference between “rules”, like no pets, no children, no smoking, no unauthorized guests, and “asks”- please remove your street shoes at the door, please don’t toss out or take the refillable bottles, etc. A long list of rules can put people off and make a host seem like a fussy micromanager.

Because I home share, I can just tell guests a lot of stuff as I’m orienting them around, so I don’t need notes around. But I do have a framed note in the guest bathroom, mentioning thatI am on a private septic, which shouldn’t be overloaded with tp, so to please put nose blowing, etc. paper in the trash, the women to put pee paper in the trash basket as well. And a bit about conserving water, as I live in an area where it doesn’t just come down the mains 24/7.

I find that my guests are quite compliant with the “asks”, they don’t need a whole long list of rules.

2 Likes

Just discovered a listing with 22 house rules!

That’s a great approach - and yes, we do have a sign on the door! Still leave it wide open!!

Sounds like we have similar listings, and we do differentiate between “rules” and “asks.” Its not that we WANT a lot of rules - but when negative behaviors begin happening on a more consistent behavior with our guests we feel like we need to address them. We also live “on sight” and have the opportunity to greet our guests and verbally fill them in on potential problems/questions when they check in.

I might add that the nature of our listing creates the need for a few more rules than most. As you mentioned, if your home is on a septic system that will require a rule - and we are. We also have a pool which creates the need for a few very important rules. We also have a small “urban farm” which leads to a few more necessary rules, like “please shut the gate” when you visit our animals. Our jacuzzi, sauna and fire pit also bring with them the need for a couple of rules as well. I think different listings will require different rules.

2 Likes

Maybe a different sign? Something funny or alarming or both? So that it gets more attention and you could have some fun with it. I like the first one best :slight_smile:

door2
door5
door6
door7

door9

4 Likes

Many animal shelters and humane societies will rent or loan (with a deposit) a live trap so you can trap the animal and take it to them. I had to do that with the tom that was spraying my upstairs back porch entry area (the fire escape stairway).

I trapped him 3 times in 3 months, and then never saw him again. Mind you, the shelter charges owners tag fees and can require sterilization (with associated charges) to get their animal back. I have also had friends use them to catch nuisance squirrels and weasels (Fish & Game relocates them).

Oh, i wasn’t clear that this is one of OUR cats! He is a rescue, but he lives with us and just seems compelled to get into the guesthouse for some reason!

Ah, I thought that you might be talking about a feral cat. Maybe you need to re-home him?

1 Like

Uh, no! The cat was here long before we started listing with Airbnb! Our guests simply need to read, understand and respect. We certainly do our very best to do the same for them.