Do this to insure yourself from a bad review!

No, I don’t need to enter their rooms as they take the whole upstairs, while I use the downstairs bed and bath which is the same floor as the living room and kitchen. Of course, there is the occasional guest who requires my presence upstairs in the middle of the night after vomiting red wine all over the bedding and carpet.
But I did once have a set of guests that was staying for 3 days. On the 2nd day of their visit, I thought I saw them enter the house with a pizza box, (I was on the neighbors porch visiting with them), and yet, I didn’t see the pizza box in the trash in the kitchen. It’s stated in my house rules “no food that could stain linens or carpet in guest bedroom”. Sure enough…found the pizza box on the beige carpet upon their checkout.

1 Like

I remember your red wine vomit. Ghastly.
Wasn’t it one of your first guests?

1 Like

No, I was in my 2nd year by that point. But, I rent infrequently, most bookings in the summer, just a few in winter.
So far this year, 20 completed reservations, 15 of them from May until yesterday.
I will probably only have a total of 28-30 stays this year. I am already as booked as I want to be for September.

I am always surprised at how many people EAT FOOD IN BED! Geez the dining table is next to the bed. I have scrubbed more food stains;mustard, red wine, chocolate chip stains, shaking out cookie crumbs and even granola cereal.

My god! They left for the day 11 hrs ago! AC still blazing…Im losing my mind…I have to go torture my husband again and sound off again…

1 Like

I’m ready to hop on the next flight out and march over to your house and stand in front of their door demanding,

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING!!! Turn the bloody ac off before a whole bunch of hosts on a forum come over and wring your damn necks!!

FOOT STOMP!!!

4 Likes

Yes! Please come over now and bitch slap them!Nothing would make me happier! I cant even rant at my husband now because hes sleeping!

1 Like

I got a suggestion for you @diamond54. Call an electrician tomorrow, have them extend the power line to the AC and YOU have an ~inline switch~ to turn off the AC without having to ever enter their space. This is technically easy to do. Throw the switch back On when they are in, Off when they are not. IF there is a master fuse box in your space, you can also trip it off there also. An AC always has a ‘dedicated’ power line BTW. It doesn’t matter how it is wire, this can be easily done.

3 Likes

thankyou for that idea.

Definitely! I truly don’t know what’s wrong with saying during the house tour ‘please turn off the AC when you leave, as we’ll need to go into your room to turn it off’.

And the host should raise the prices accordingly.

We have some guests who have the AC set to 68 (which is close to freezing as far as I’m concerned) and others who set it to 88. It balances out in the end.

Incidentally, I know that some hosts don’t accept under 25s but I’ve always found that teenagers turn off the AC when they check out. I wonder if they are more conscious of the environmental issues than older guests?

1 Like

I am going to ad that line in my walk through! I prefer young people.

2 Likes

Good, and when power is turned off and back on an AC, it doesn’t come back on until physically turned on ~electronically~, so they would think they did turned it off.

I suggested that as well.

Diamond54, first i feel sorry you have to go true this as I just went true a horrible experience myself with the same issue.

I am in the Desert where temperatures are 110- 125 degrees.
I have individual AC installed in each room that guest can adjust to their personal need. However I have in my House rules for guest to turn AC when room is not occupied. One of the rooms has French doors.
We have been hit with extreme Heat waive this year ranging 111-125 degrees consistently. Unfortunately both rooms have south exposure and I have installed a Pergola to have some shade and ceiling fans and curtains.

Had a couple from France. First they arrived late around 11 P.M. I gave them orientation as usual. As I was talking the Gentleman suddenly had to go to the bathroom and shortly after called me in to the bathroom showing me a glass ball that he just broke. No sorry or excuse just pointing that it need it to be cleaned. Bathroom smelled as you know what. That was the introduction “who they were”.

Before leaving them I told them, when they leave for the day to up temperature to 82 instead turning it of as I have it in my House Manual, so that they can have comfortable room to come to. I had also turned AC on several hours before their arrival for their comfort.

All residence in the Desert were reminded daily to conserve electricity for Hospitals and Emergency Departments use. Some areas have lost electricity for several hours during that week. Also some homes cot fires due to AC working overtime.

Very next morning they were gone and both AC’s were working. By 4 P.M. I heard grinding noises coming form one of the AC’s. I was forced to enter the unit.
The AC was set at 64, curtains puled wide open to the side and second AC was on high (manual control).
Also I noticed ironing board and iron on the new glass entry table instead of desk table in the other room where ironing board was. I have now a 3 inch scratch left behind on a new peace of furniture. I upped the AC to 82 and turned the other AC of and the scratching noise stopped…
I than e-mailed them true AB telling them that I had to enter their place and asked them again to keep AC on 82 when room is not occupied and I took extra time to explain why. I left even a bottle of white wine for them.
Next day the same, except this time it was on 72.
I e-mailed them back, and I do have WiFi in my place. No reply. Only after me going true trouble contacting AB and to the guest to leave, did they respond. Answer: We have not seen your messages, no access to Internet. They were attending a Dance Show at the Marriott Hotel, I guess Marriott does not have WiFi.
Also gentleman responded that he never reads House Rules and that in a Hotel they don’t have to worry about AC. He had 4-5 good reviews as AB guest.

They received a special rate of $65.00 for both rooms per night which includes 11.5 percent tax, way below what I normally charge.

After they left the ironing board that I asked them to use on the table was used again instead on the dresser.

I think that all recommendations on this Forum are good but I am not shore for myself which one is best enforceable. I am glad I was vigilant, since who knows what else could have had happened beside my electric bill that ate the $59.00 that they were paying per night.

I am open to any ideas, and I wish you good luck with your present guest.

1 Like

My brother in law said there are some places in Europe where if you want AC you put money in a meter for the AC …I like that idea!

Diamond, when do your AC abusers check out?

…and clenched fists with a final “oh!” growled out before storming off.

Lol @konacoconutz that was awesome!

1 Like

tommorrow!:slight_smile:

Most of my guest are respectful and go by House Rules.
It is those that are looking for a low rate that seem to be a problem, and those where you overextend yourself as a Host.

$58-$59.00 nightly rate for two rooms is insane low ball rate, NEVER AGAIN! It is slow season for us, yet it is better to have the place stay empty.

As for AC future use I don’t think coin operated AC will work, it would be fun for some guest:smile_cat:. I know public restrooms in Europe (I wish my restroom was coin operated for this particular guest) are at times coin operated, I was not aware that AC were also.

Anyway it is two days now that they are gone.:smirk:

Diamond…thank you for getting me thinking how i will manage the aircon i am saving to install. I once saw in some university housing that they needed to press a big white button to get their heating to work for a few hrs. I am going to look into that with my electrician even though on the few hot nts a year we have they would need to repress. What do people think of this?