Do people swap your stuff

Book a stay at my cottage and just swap out the toaster :rofl: just like that you will have a new one

3 Likes

This is a great idea. There used to be a website that tracked dollar bills. Maybe I should make one up www. Whereismytoasterat .com :rofl:

6 Likes

No, I am about 30 minutes from town which makes this even more baffling. Someone would either have to be bringing these to the house or driving an hour plus shop time round trip to go get a new one. That’s actually why I stay pretty booked - beach cottage 30 minutes from town - quiet fun escape from it all. Except toasters, I cannot escape the toaster swaps

1 Like

Maybe make an innocent, confused remark to your cleaner.

“It’s so weird, people are taking the new toaster and leaving an old one. Guests are so crazy! So I called the police for advice and they said to get one of those engraving pens to mark everything with my ID. What do you think?”

2 Likes

we’ve had batteries taken out of the remotes. I’ve also had a cushion taken. not expensive but it was a matching set so that was a bit annoying.

I accidentally took a pillow from an airbnb I stayed in last April, we stayed there a month and had our own pillows/towels, and when we packed up in the end i couldn’t remember if the single bed had 2 pillows on it. luckily we live in the area (we were str whilst waiting for house to settle) so i was able to return the pillow to the owner without fuss.

However, swapping out a toaster is Next Level!

Actually, I’ve had people leave behind small appliances that are better than the ones avaialable in the apartment. However, my guests generally stay for an average of 14 days, so if they want a special toaster that can toast a bagel perfectly well, they go and buy one and leave behind.

1 Like

I agree with those who think somebody on the cleaning crew is actually doing the swapping. There are a lot of STRs listings where the owners are hands off and that are managed by property-managers that have so many listings they would never be able to tell. The person swapping out the appliances is banking on it.

3 Likes

I agree with others that suspect the cleaning team. I don’t think a guest would swap toasters because they would have crumbs all over their luggage plus folks travel light. Are there other things being swapped? A toaster doesn’t have much value so perhaps the person is a klepto. Maybe it’s also passive aggressive behavior. The person is trying to get back at you, maybe she/he feels underpaid.

1 Like

I agree with @jaquo . I can’t understand why guests would swap out a toaster, but I can understand a cleaner seeing your nice new one in a cupboard (because you don’t have a pic of it on your listing?) and thinking “Hey, they’ll never notice and the guests won’t tell.”

3 Likes

11 Likes

This caught my attention as I just had two king size bamboo brand memory foam pillows swapped out, for some crusty yellowed off brand fiber fill somethings. Why would someone in the midst of covid want a pillow of any value from a short term rental that has obviously had a few customers. As we are a public facing biz, we are subject to the vagaries of humanity. Anyway… To the guests credit, the mom checked with the son… The story is all in texts… The son’s friend who visited, took the pillows… He was ordered to go to fed ex and mail them. Exactly how the pillows got inside our two double pillow cases, was only explained by the mom saying, “I’m too tired to explain.” When I asked for a photo of the fed ex tracking. I got a photo of the pillows going into a box and the credit card screen at the fed ex store showing a shipping transaction, but no tracking number. No sign of the pillows and this was a week ago…

2 Likes

I agree it might be the cleaning team as well. I’ve had sheets at my property go missing and reappear. Then when I said to the cleaners, how odd, I was missing a whole set, then 1/2 a set, then had 2 flat sheets. Suddenly one cleaner found 2 fitted sheets on a bed and the extra flat sheet was gone. I now have the whole sheet set back. And not sure which cleaner it is. The one who claims there were 2 fitted sheets on the bed, after previously finding 2 flat sheets on the bed? Or the one who cleaned most often and was arrested for shoplifting in the past? Both times the missing sheets reappeared after saying something to the cleaners. I don’t think guests snuck in to return them.

3 Likes

Yes, something similar happened to me. I had a decent set of skillets and someone switched the entire set out for three other skillets - something cheap and flimsy from the dollar store. It was very deliberate. After that incident, my cleaners open and photograph every drawer/cabinet in the kitchen after it’s cleaned and they check against photos before they begin the turnover.

3 Likes

Happens all the time. There’s a thread here where it is discussed. It isn’t common but I’m guessing it it a 1 x per 18 months for me

Several times I’ve had people leave their pillows and NOT take mine. The pillows that were left were flat and poor quality. Maybe after sleeping on mine they were reminded what a pillow should be and so abandoned their old one but were honest folks and didn’t take mine? :joy:

2 Likes

You are joking, aren’t you?

If not, then you’ve just won the biggest overreaction post of the year, if not the decade.

:roll_eyes:

JF

3 Likes

Not really, since half of the dishes and glasses were missing. Appreciate the positive feedback. Isn’t this a forum for SUPPORT, not judgement? I didn’t realize that I was on Facebook :roll_eyes:
Have a wonderful day

It wasn’t, it was pretty negative I reckon, intentionally.

No, it is not a support forum, hence the title:

This forum is dedicated to connecting hosts with other hosts.

So, before you put the plastic cups, plates, saucers and tumblers in, half your stuff was missing anyway? At least that’s the way it reads to me.

Must have been a real treat for any guest who wanted to cook and eat dinner at your place. Lends a whole new meaning to the term “sharing plates” :rofl:

Guest one to guest two “hey, you finished with that cup mate?”.

You really couldn’t make up some of this stuff!

JF

2 Likes

No. This is just assorted people across the globe who find this forum. It’s public and anyone can read it without joining. People join and are anonymous to the extent they choose to be so; we don’t even know if people who post here are really hosts.

People will state their opinions, “free speech” and all that. Another feature/bug here is that instead of answering your question they will tell you what you did/are doing incorrectly.

1 Like

No, it isn’t. It’s a privately owned forum that has nothing to do with Airbnb apart from the fact that we’re all hosts. It a place for hosts to meet up and connect. It has nothing to do with support.

2 Likes