Welcome! We are a community of AirBnb hosts

This forum is dedicated to connecting hosts with other hosts. Sign up to get the latest updates and news just for AirBnb hosts! Note that we are not affiliated with Airbnb - we are just passionate hosts!

Do most of the Hosts purchase Rental Insurance? Proper Insurance?

I am fairly new Host, and have a friend who is a Host tell me Airbnb will cover any damage to my house caused by Guests, etc. We live in our House but leave it and rent out the whole house to Airbnb Guests. We have Home Owners Insurance but that would not cover damage by Renters. I called Proper Insurance and it was expensive, $2000 Plus. Of course the coverage they give us would Not require us to continue with our Farmers Insurance Home Owners Policy.

That is absolutely not true. Please read the many posts of people on this forum who are mad that airbnb didn’t pay them for damages. BTW, I don’t have separate insurance but I just have a room attached to my house and I’m usually here. But it’s a risk and I’d advise most people to get insurance.

Homeowners insurance might not cover anything if you’re doing Airbnb… even if it’s damage not caused by your guests, such as a fire or wind damage. And Airbnb won’t cover a lot of things either.
We went with AAU (Allied American Underwriters), substantially less expensive than Proper. The only caveat is minimum two night’s stay required.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! NOT TRUE. You need either a Homeowner’s policy that covers you doing Airbnb, or a Commercial Policy for STRs. $2000 from Proper? Consider yourself lucky. They quoted us that too, but it did not include Wind Damage. Living in hurricane-prone Florida, the Wind policy alone was $5000! We currently pay $4500 per year for a policy that covers us.

Many, Many people are mis-lead by Air’s Host policy nonsense, and get shafted when a guest injures themselves or damages property. Unless you own your property outright, your mortgage company is going to require you to have a real legitimate insurance policy covering liability, property, wind and other damage. And if you don’t have such policy, they can call in their debt!

Ken, thanks for the reply but Proper’s quote was over $2000- actually $2607!

Edited my post to $2000. Our quote from them was over $7000 with the mandatory “wind” coverage.

Altcoin Fantasy - Crypto Fantasy Trading and Simulation Game - Win Bitcoin and Altcoins!