Do guests who ask for exceptions to house rules or extras always turn out to be problem guests?

I have LTR’s too and would not want to rent to this person.

I also hold an executive position in my line of work and have in the past had to line up a rental in a hurry to start a new job in a new area. So I can relate to this woman’s situation. But I would have never pestered the landlord this way or asked for so many exceptions to your standard lease. She is trying to be in the driver’s seat and that breaches your role as landlord.

This woman needs a reality check. If it were me, I would simply email her a professional sounding note that this effort has become too high maintenance already and for that reason have decided to not rent to her. Then junk her email address, block her calls, and move on.

5 Likes

And remember though that in England, when we go to watch football (which in itself is a different thing here in the US) we sit in the stands.

1 Like

Yes, that is what I’ve already decided to do. I don’t think she will ever be satisfied as anyone’s tenant, no matter how nice the property. She basically wants to own a house without buying it!

2 Likes

Not house rules, BUT high maintenance guest incoming!

I had a guest instant-book yesterday with a message: “I sure hope you don’t have a down comforter.” I said I did not, and asked if she was allergic to feathers. Oh no, she said, she just gets too hot. Can I provide blankets instead?

My fluffy comforter is clearly pictured in several photos.

I’m calling it down: she won’t be happy during her 1-night stay!

Jesus Christ! If she’s a PITA now imagine what she’s going to be in a few months… In the end she’ll cause you more damage and headache and will make 0 money off renting to her. Been there done that. That’s I rent short term only now.

the fact she’s legit (aka holds the position she claims) and that she’s a master gardener won;t cut it with me. she’s still acts like a crazy person and who knows what she might do in your garden. I once had some tenants who wanted to cut my trees and plant something else. They dug my yard without my permission, planted potatoes… stick with your guts and find someone else. she’s still a nut case in my book. If I were you, I wouldn’t rent to her if you paid me!

1 Like

Just say no and be done with her, you already know she is a pain in the ass and you have not even met her yet.

RR

My experience has been that if a guest asks for something and you refuse, it is never a good review. I am very clear that there is absolutely no kitchen use in my home. It is very clear in the description of my rooms. They come with groceries anyway. When I lay down the law very politely and give them the reasons, which I feel like I don’t need to be doing but do anyway, it is not a good review.

My opinion is that what starts bad ends bad. I don’t even understand why you are considering this person. The only way I would even remotely consider renting anything including a bicycle to this tenant is if I had spoken with 10 years of prior landlords.

She doesn’t have prior landlords; she’s been a homeowner for 20+ years. I wrote her Monday and told her I would not rent the house to her.

No no!!! Run the other way!!! Plus as long term you’ll never get rid of her! Don’t have a tenant do gardening/mowing. First of all they never (well rarely) do what they agreed to beyond the first few times, second there is a liability issue with lawn mowers unless maybe it’s the push kind. Each time we’ve had PITA prospective tenants and ignored our gut it’s turned out badly. The time that recently comes to mind is a local police officer (which is why we ignored our gut) that ended up trying to sue us over wafting cigarette smoke (it’s a long story and believe me we were not at fault, but we had to sign a non-disclosure agreement). Nightmare!!! Go with your gut. No tenant is worth the hassle.

My worst long term tenant was a medically retired state trooper—which is, for anyone not familiar with the USA, is a type of police officer. After my experience with him (he was a nitpicker and a bully) I will never to any police officer. I also would not ever rent to an attorney.

I turned the prospective tenant down. After a few attempts to contact me and get me to change my mind (I did not respond) she has left me alone.

2 Likes

I could kick myself every time I have that feeling someone is going to be a pain, I am right. I think you already know the answer to your question. Somebody else will rent it anyway!

2 Likes