Do guests who ask for exceptions to house rules or extras always turn out to be problem guests?

I see red flags…I also see dollar signs. I see PITA, I also see an exacting woman who will leave the home and garden in better shape than it was when she moved in.

I would have a frank, equal to equal talk on the phone, or send an email (personally I like the idea of having all this stuff in writing but maybe your memory is better than mine or you like taking notes while you are on the phone). Perhaps put some limitations or protections of some kind in your rental agreement. Maybe if you tell her your concerns about the yard and home are based on legitimate factors, maybe things she hasn’t even thought of. Maybe ask for an extra $1000 deposit that will be returned after xx time and an inspection.

If she continues to think she can be the boss of you, walk away.

4 Likes

This is an international forum so you can’t assume everyone is from the U.S. Many have English as a second language. Better to say what you mean to avoid confusion… :slight_smile:

@Helsi. I am aware it’s an international forum, which is why the (lol) followed the “asking for a friend”. There was no intent to deceive.

3 Likes

It’s like the UK hosts use their secret language and make inside jokes all the time that I don’t get and words don’t mean the same to them as to me. Meh.

2 Likes

:wink:

It works the other way around too. Although I moved from England to the USA in 1994 I still don’t understand what Americans are talking about a lot of the time!

In England the ‘asking for a friend’ thing tends to be used when enquiring about embarrassing things. For instance STDs rather than STRs.

:wink:

11 Likes

It’s used here that way also, but it’s also used for lots of other situations

1 Like

You are right @Karma4K9KarmaCasa but normally as part of an ongoing conversation. Rather than when asking for advice. Really not a big deal thought @Keugenia.

I’m going in and deleting this guy right now.

2 Likes

I agree and I wouldn’t be so keen to see the back of her … in the rental house we used to have, the finickety tenants were always the ones who kept the others in line, made sure common areas were kept clean, garbage removed etc. Worth their weight in gold …

1 Like

sorry don’t know why it keeps defaulting to him when I try and tag you :frowning: :blush:

1 Like

It won’t happen again.

1 Like

Even though she has chosen to not inspect the property before leasing it this wont stop her from complaining about things she would have noticed if she had. Some people like to think of themselves as “hard ass” but they are just PITAs

1 Like

She may be an award winning gardener but that doesn’t mean her tastes will be the same as yours or that she won’t expect you to refund her the cost of expensive plants she buys. I once had an AirBnB guest go home for half a day and bring cuttings from her garden and plant them in mine without asking. They all died which i could have told her given the windy sea climate. Some people!

1 Like

Remember what George Bernard Shaw said about England and America: Two countries separated by a common language.

4 Likes

LOL, yes, that’s a good one! It’s amazing the language differences when you consider we share a common language. Lift=elevator; bonnet=hood; boot=trunk; wing=fender…just to name a few different words. My husband went to boarding school in England and we try to go back and visit every year or so. But even with British friends and fairly frequent visits there, I’m not up on all the language differences.

1 Like

Wow, that is some chutzpah, for sure! I can’t imagine where an AirBnB guest would get off on thinking this would be okay. At least this lady would have the excuse of being a long term renter—she says she wants to stay for 5 years (though I only do month to month leases).

I was born and brought up in England and have lived in the States for the last 24 years. Americans still don’t understand me and I don’t understand them. When I go back to England though, it’s like being in a foreign country. I’m not one thing and I’m not the other… :slight_smile:

My favourite is: in America you park in a driveway but drive in a parkway.

2 Likes

You probably should have mentioned the proposed 5 year window in the OP as I think it would make a big difference.

1 Like

Honestly, I’ve barely made it 5 days with this person. She sent me 18 emails in Just six days. I asked her repeatedly to please call or text because I am either at the rental houses or running around buying supplies and materials, or meeting with contractors, etc., and not in an office where I can easily respond to emails in a timely fashion.