Do fans count as airconditioning?

It’s been a while since you brought up this topic. It seems everyone agrees fans don’t qualify as AC. I’m in a quandary at the moment because we are in the midst of a heat wave here in Southern California. Even though I live less than a 1/4 mile from the ocean, there are certain times of the day and night when the wind changes direction and the cooler breezes stop and blasting hot air blows from inland.

I only take in solo guests and my rates are the lowest in this area. To buy and then run a window AC unit to cool off my 400sq.ft. living room will not be cheap, but it will keep the guests happy; but happy enough to pay a few dollars more?

How did you solve your AC–or rather lack of it–problem?

Are you freaking kidding? What a rediculous question.

I’m also in West Los Angeles (very close to Overland and Palms). My husband wants to buy a window unit air conditioner for the guest room. I keep pointing out that it will increase our electric bills to the point where it will cut way in to our profit. What we do for now is be very clear in our listing that we don’t have air conditioning and what temperatures guests can expect. We provide fans, but I don’t think they do much but blow around hot air. One big plus to Los Angeles which we explain to guests is that no matter how hot it gets during the day it cools off at night.

We’re sorta neighbors. I’m in Long Beach and less than 5 blocks from the beach, but some of these recent days it hasn’t cooled off like it usually does at night. The wind is coming from inland so it’s roasting sometimes well after sunset.

You are wise in warning guests what to expect.

I recently bought a little AC window unit for my bedroom, so I’m sitting in here cool as a cucumber on some of these nights :))) It’s supposed to be energy efficient, and it cools off my fairly large bedroom in minutes and then cycles on and off. I turn it off when I go to bed. I’m really curious to see the electric bill, but I’m thinking it might not be that bad so I’ll get another unit for the living room.

But do not buy one of those portable ones! I had an 8,000btu one for about a month. It did not cool the room and it was a pain having that thing sitting in the room. And it leaked water. I returned it for the 6,000btu. The salesguy said the window ones work way better and use lots less energy.

2 Likes

When I was going through menopause and hot flashing, I had to have AC at night. Even though the worst is past I still have to have a place with AC, I can’t sleep if I’m hot. So I wouldn’t be able to take a chance on your place in the summer. If you don’t feel like you’re losing any business because of it then there is probably no need to get one.

We usually only have one unbooked day every six weeks. Also, in Los Angeles unlike less arid climates it cools down a lot at night.

1 Like

Wow! Doesn’t seem to be affecting your occupancy, although if guests start leaving comments about heat it might. Also, I’m sure your guests are like mine–and most probably–they are gone most of the day and come home and fall in bed after dark when it’s cooler.