Dividing and Locking Half of a Bedroom

I live in my vacation rental when it’s not being rented. I have a home office in one of the bedrooms with expensive/sensitive equipment. I purchased room divider screen panels but still feel that it is not sufficient enough. Does anyone have an idea to to lock the part of the room with the equipment from floor to ceiling and to not have to spend a lot of time setting it up for renters or removing it when not renting? For my situation, moving the equipment to an attic/locked closet will not work.

Disable the equipment- turn off at fuse box?

Why is that? I would never leave anything valuable in the rental that could be damaged, stolen or compromised in any way.

2 Likes

@tmc1284

Surely you’ve read posts on this forum where guests have broken into locked rooms, cupboards and supply closets by removing locks and hinges. Are you willing to risk losing your “expensive/sensitive equipment” by tempting curious or ill-intentioned guests?

If you truly value those items, remove them from the premises or do not rent out that room and/or have an alarm system in place.

3 Likes

Ummm my topic is if anyone knows of a solution to divide a room to lock out a guest from the other side of it, to prevent theft…

I could install a security camera on the other side of it(assuming that you cannot see through the dividing material) with motion alerts and motion activated video recording sent to my phone.

As long as the guest would have to break the divider in order to gain access rather than moving it(like room dividing panels) I would feel safe.

1 Like

You might be able to do an IKEA Pax closet door system hack – google and you’ll see lots of DIY instructions – install barn handles and a padlock? http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/50-vinces-high-7462

Ummm, let’s hope more forum members ignore your tactless response and offer you the solution you seek.

I have a feeling that you are not hoping other members offer a solution and you’ve possibly derailed this topic.

I asked a question about a specific solution to prevent theft, and your response was basically that I should not trust people I’ve never met before. It’s safe to assume everyone knows this, and that I am not looking for a solution that relies on trusting my guests.

I posted the same topic on another forum, and someone suggested I install a ceiling track and accordion doors which I’ve just starting to look into but this seems like a viable solution.

I used to have a lockable desk/cupboard system. I am sure they will have something similar on ebay/amazon?

That’s what I was going to suggest. I’ve seen them in use and they’re very handy. The more secure ones have larger panels, so you’d need more clearance.

For dividing room acoustic room dividers is the best. It provide high levels of noise reduction as well as design flexibility. You simply pull the interlocking panel together to separate the space and push it back when the area needs to be opened.