Dilemma urgent with current guest

We do have 4 pillows in each bed. We also provide extra towels and wash cloths. I just never provided extra sheets for short stay. My thinking was that it shouldn’t get soiled if the house rules are enforced.

I already ordered some on Amazon and intend to stock all the rooms with extra sheets along with the rest of the extra items. It actually brings me joy when guests enjoy their stay and feel welcome enough to want to come back.

Thanks guys for the feedback. I read everyone of them.

3 Likes

Then there’s the enjoyable process of folding the fitted sheets. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

That’s how it should be done. Don’t punish the 80% of guests who don’t make a mess even if they eat in the room. As you may recall I have a very small Airbnb and until this spring there was no good place for a couple to eat together. There was a one person desk separated from the rest of the room or a table and chairs on the front porch. So about 850 guests were forced to eat in the room and no doubt 100s of them sat on the bed to eat. I had “damages” twice. If a host wants to prevent damages they should say no menstruating, copulating, peeing, pooping or vomiting in the bedroom.

There are some hosts who have a lot of rules, many unenforceable, and that makes them feel better. It’s not for me though.

Congrats. That’s great to read.

2 Likes

When I take the sheets off the outside line I’ve often thought I wish I could just hang them like that somewhere. Then I realized that I could. I have a wire line in my garage that I use for drying in inclement weather and storing other odds and ends. It’s been the dust storm season here and that wouldn’t work due to the garage being poorly sealed against dirt and dust but I may try it in the fall. I’m mostly closed now anyway.

So if someone could rig a wire line/drapery rod/shower curtain rod somewhere in a utility room, basement or back of closet you could just fold the sheets in half and hang them instead of folding into a square.

1 Like

Why would you put yourself through that for minor stuff?

Think of it in pure terms of hourly time, it does not pencil out for me. I find spending even a few minutes upset about what a guest does is a few minutes of misery I do not need. I still get upset at guests here and there when I am checking after they leave but I try and move on.

RR

2 Likes

@RiverRock I totally understand and I am getting better at it. However, for me it is more about the principle of it than the time cost.

2 Likes

True… that’s the first thing that came to mind. But honestly, I find that it’s a combination of both especially when it’s something minor. I live about 60 miles away from my listing. And I try so hard to dot all my “i’s” and cross all my “t’s”. To avoid complains, improve quality and reduce stress on my end. I have also learned that things will always come up, depending on who I am hosting. Complains from guests gives me stress. I will like to eliminate that.

I wonder what experiences hosts like me have, who live away from their listing. What challenges have they experienced and how have they tried to close that gap that distance that caused?

1 Like

I’d hate to be married to you. Seriously.

We’d both have Sun Tzu as bedtime reading :rofl::rofl::rofl:

JF

Ps. Luv yah really :wink:

3 Likes

I truly take my hat off to you and to all hosts who live away from their listings. I don’t think I could do it. I guess that a great co-host is the answer?

4 Likes

Yes! If you can find one who is readily available and lives within the area.

Who on the forum would you marry?

3 Likes

Feck me mate, that’s a leading question :rofl:

JF

2 Likes

Me, surely?

:rofl: :wine_glass: :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Yes, my ex husband and I hated being married to each other, too. No worries. Appreciate yah, too!

And I have run out of likes today…I guess I have been away long enough that I need to earn more trust, according to the message I got. Usually it just says I have to wait…I guess it’s been a while.

3 Likes

Are we doing hook-ups here now? Host Tinder? A match is if you both use the same type of kettle? Cool.

5 Likes

Just an update on this thread.

The guest left today and I went to do the cleaning myself and inspect the house. I found the rest of the pillow from the “unmade bed” scattered in the other rooms, they apparently needed more than 4 pillows that was already placed on each bed. Also, I saw the sheets that was originally used to dress the bed(which she claimed was not made) tucked behind one of the bed in the other room. So it was definitely made. They had soiled it. I just don’t understand why she would lie about something like that??

2 Likes

Hmmm…I met my current boyfriend (9+ months now and going strong) on Tinder…lol. But anyways, thanx fir the reminder that I haven’t used my kettle in so long that I got rid of it. :wink:

1 Like

Some Guests lie

Guests don’t want to pay extra for the extras they bring

Guests look for reasons to complain to get refunded - even if they have to manufacture it

Guests take things so they feel they got value for the stay.

This is the hospitality game

5 Likes

Hopefully they don’t leave a review and you can blast them on day 14 …

2 Likes

I was actually thinking about that. I will set a reminder to leave a review as late as possible. They didn’t make a lot of mess but just a few things here and there including taking my Keychain and leaving the key on the floor.