Difficult guests

There’s no right and wrong as far as what you provide to guests beyond what most of us would consider to be basics. If your guests have been happy with what you provide and leave good reviews there’s no reason to think you should be providing more. I also have a countryside place and tend to get seasoned travelers whose needs are simple. Their concerns are that it’s clean, safe, the bed is comfy, there’s a fan for warm days, that there is at least coffee or tea in the morning. I’m not much into catering to “expectations”- guests really can’t legitimately expect anything beyond what is offered in the listing description. Underpromise and overdeliver is a host mantra, but the overdelivery part doesn’t have to be also over-the-top. I don’t advertise that I provide tea or coffee, for instance, but I do. When I know a guest has just come from a long flight and a bus ride, I’ll offer them a snack when they arrive, even though I don’t state that I provide food. Little things like that are appreciated by guests.
I live in a beach town, so providing something like an iron would be silly, it would never get used- guests are in little summer dresses or shorts and tank tops, they aren’t going to a job interview or a wedding.

I think most “bad” hosts are in it for the money only, whereas “good” hosts genuinely enjoy making their guests happy.

I know when I buy a new toy for the kids’ shelf or pick out a new book for the bookshelf I am imagining how happy somebody will be when they discover it there, and not how much money it will make me. I love getting a note from a guest that enjoyed making pancakes with the mix I left for them, or appreciated that I had toothpaste and toothbrush available when they forgot theirs. These are the reasons I enjoy hosting; happy guests.

5 Likes

I’ve never bought a box of tissues in my life, they seem redundant- I always use TP.

3 Likes

I don’t use tissues but I do provide them in my listing - one in each bedroom and one in the bathroom. Some guests use them and some don’t - I had one family go through all four boxes, plus the two spares I keep in the bathroom closet, then go out and buy more - I noticed when I checked to see if I needed to refill the dispensers and they were all filled with a different brand than I provide.

I agree with you for the occasional sniffle or blow your nose; however for those with hay fever or a cold, a box of tissues, especially the lotion infused, make a huge difference. I even had a guest comment in her review about the great tissues provided. Most Definitely a FWP topic :wink:

1 Like

FWP? I’m clueless…………

1 Like

First world problem. 2.4 billion people don’t have flush toilets and we are debating TP.

6 Likes

@KKC nailed it!

and for something to make you chuckle:

5 Likes

@HH_AZ Thanks for sharing those- they were great. Going to bed now with a smile on my face.

2 Likes

Totally made me chuckle - thank you
Now I won’t bitch about the AirBnB I am at now not having salt and pepper.
Thank you for helping me put it all in perspective !!

2 Likes

I agree.

The reason? I don’t want them finding a handy replacement when they run out of TP. Paper towels will mess with my plumbing and tissues are more expensive. (As a guest, odds are I’m only staying a night or two, so would make do with one of those options rather than buying a package of my own)

4 Likes

I have to ask: How is this different from a guest who says he/she loves everything and is having a marvelous time as your guest but then blasts you with a two-star review?

We have 1.5 bathrooms and we leave a new one on the roll in the 1/2 bath and a full roll for each day of the stay. In the main bath we leave 2 rolls per day, per stay and another full unopened 6 pack in the linen closet.

I provide consumable kitchen basics - spices, plastic wrap, foil, ziplock bags. Squirt jam, ketchup and mustard and a stick of butter. I advertise a “starter” supply of coffee pods, creamer, sugar, sweeteners. We leave about 12 pods and a container of coffee - we have both a Keurig and std coffee maker.

I do have a fully stocked kitchen. Similar to this list:

I’ve added a dinner full service for 8, flatware for 12, wine, beverage glasses, juice pitchers, corkscrew, table linens. I have eliminated anything that is wooden or has a wood handle - people kept putting them into the dishwasher. We have several 2nd hand shops in our town and I bought a $10 roaster, some serving dishes, etc. We provide a 4 slice toaster, blender and an electric kettle.

I bought a decent cookware set from Kohl’s that has all of the basics and I bought a similar baking set:

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2687312/rachael-ray-14-pc-nonstick-aluminum-cookware-set.jsp?color=Marine%20Blue&prdPV=8

I have stayed in STRs that were woefully lacking in what I consider “basic” cooking and serving pieces. We often travel with our extended family and my brother and husband both love to cook and we generally eat breakfast and dinner at the STR. Our guest last weekend was able to prepare and serve a full Thanksgiving meal for four.

1 Like

It would be the same, I would be pissed off. I had a 4 star that the review was over the top yet 4 overall.

I have not received a bad review yet, that one 4 was my worst. I will not get that 2* because I have a 5* accommodation. The only way I would risk getting a review like that would be if I had to confront a guest, kick them out or something along those lines. The 4* lady asked to cancel day of and I said no, that is why she dinged me.

RR

1 Like

I think that with some people that’s a natural instinct. It certainly is for me. As a host, I want to meet my guests if possible. As a guest, leave me alone! I know, it’s two-faced of me but I spend enough time being nice to people in my everyday life that when I’m on a trip, I turn into a Garbo-esque ‘I vant to be alone’. :slight_smile:

I meet most guests but I give then the choice to some extent. I say something like ‘if you’ll be arriving between 4 & 6 pm I’ll meet you and show you to the apartment. If you’ll be arriving after six, I’ll set up an easy self check in for you’.

The question is, how many guests dawdle, or do a leisurely shop or go for a lengthy coffee-and-cake session to avoid being met in person? Probably quite a few. :slight_smile:

But when I say ‘impersonal’ I’m thinking of when you go into a hotel room and (if you’re lucky) there might be a ‘welcome [name]’ message on the TV but that’s it. In an Airbnb, even if it’s self check in I might get a hand-written welcome note, some treats, possibly a bunch of fresh flowers, etc. etc. and importantly (for me) the host’s own recommendations for local places.

That’s important to me because over the years I’ve known quite a few hotel concierges and know that they recommended places to guests because the business owners were giving them back-handers, not because they genuinely thought the places were good.

I’m next door to one rental and opposite the other so it’s almost inevitable that I meet most guests. There have been some though, that I haven’t met at all. Like you, I let them know where I am if they need anything.

I’m only a mile from the beach but because we get guests all year round, plenty of them are coming for occasions or business reasons. If a host has the opportunity to buy a cheap iron and space for a board (we have one of those tabletop ones in the smaller apartment) then sometimes they can make the difference between a guest choosing your place or somewhere else. Most guests are flying in so knowing that we’ve got an iron means they don’t have to worry about crumpled clothes.

1 Like

Well the penny pinching host won’t be supplying any tissues, paper towels, makeup wipes, etc. LOL. Maybe they will start tearing the sheets into strips and using them. LOL.

1 Like

I have tissues in the bathroom, and after reading an old thread about the grossest things hosts have come across I am putting boxes by each bed.

RR

2 Likes

The looler blinds are the space saving solution.

If you’d like to see the inspirational video on their development:

8 Likes

Yes I quite envy your attached but separate space. I think that would suit me quite well we’re it ever to be possible for me.

1 Like

Wow! How long were they there and how many was in the family? Maybe they just really liked your brand and took them and replaced them so they weren’t stealing?